Skip to main content
Topic: Yet another water pump thread... (Read 1189 times) previous topic - next topic
Yet another water pump thread...
Hopping down the rabbit hole of replacing the Shurflo pump.  What's in there now is 2088-422-444, which is apparently obsolete.  Reading previous threads show that the 5.7 and the Extreme?? are to be avoided, but they were several years old. The Companion's 4 postings are largely the same thing.  Current pump has specs of 7A current consumption, 2 GPM, and 45 PSI.  Not fulltiming, just weekend use for two adults.  Quiet is good, but not really a problem now.

Seems Shurflo 4008-101-E65 at $75-$100 seems popular and reasonably-priced...
7.5A, 3GPM, 55 PSI

Thanks, and thoughts?
Chip

PS, I may be missing the way to search for posts on a topic (shurflo) but limit results just to 2016 and 2017, for more current comments.
2000 Front Lounge

Re: Yet another water pump thread...
Reply #1
Chip,

I recently purchased a back up Shurflo for our 2015 RB. Speaking with the Shurflo tech on the phone he said the 4028-100-E54 was a direct plug and play for our current pump. About $95 on Amazon.

Here are some pics including the existing pump still in full operation and the new replacement pump.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Thanks, folks.  That's the cross-reference I used for the number, but after reading all the past issues for the 5.7 and Extreme, I'm also interested in how the Revolution series pumps are holding up. 

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #4
" I'm also interested in how the Revolution series pumps are holding up."

I installed a Revolution just short of a year ago. So far I'm liking it's performance. Pressure in my shower is the best I've ever had.

Initially I had to adjust the 'pressure control' to avoid surging and I may have over done it a bit. Now, on very rare occasions, it wants to continue running after being turned off. A couple of on/off sequences takes care of that. Eventually I may have to go back and tweak it just a smidgen.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Chip, I may have one of the first "Revolutions" that was put into use and it is still working fine.

I got it directly from Shurflo (Pentair Corp.) after meeting the rep at an FMCA rendezvous in Bowling Green, Ohio. I asked him if he was aware of all the bad things being posted on the internet about their Extreme series pumps. He had a computer at their display and I guided him to the old Yahoo group. His jaw dropped when he saw all the problems being posted. I had gone through 2 of the Extremes already and was about to replace another, still under warranty.

He gave me his card and he sent me a pump for evaluation. I sent them my pump and they ended up sending me a replacement for the Sensor Extreme too. Along with the Sensor pump, they did send a back flow prevention valve too. I fully expected to use that but the Revolution has worked so well that the brand new, in the box Sensor Extreme has been riding with me as a spare.

In short, we like the Revolution and would not hesitate to buy one if needed.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #6
Chip, my Revolution, replacing the Extreme 5.7, has been in place for years with no issues.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #7
Slightly off topic, but I had a ShurFlo pump fail in our dive boat.  Getting it out was a PITA (actually removing any of the pumps in a tight, hot engine compartment is a PITA), so I took it apart and determined that the pressure sensor was the part that gave out.  I called their customer service and the helpful person at the other end apologized for the problem and sent me a new pressure sensor for the pump, plus several pieces so I could re-assemble it with new pieces.  It has worked fine ever since and I am a happy ShurFlo customer.

Just sayin...

HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #8
The 4008 pumps are the best thing since the old school Whisper Kings.
I have replaced too many variable speed pumps. I still the last 5.7, returned and replaced under warranty, sitting in the garage. I wouldn't waste my time installing it.
Instead, a 4008 was installed, many years ago. I have not seen one fail yet.

It's too bad the variable speed pumps were such junk. I liked how quiet they are at low flow rates.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Just a datapoint but we are still using the original 5.7 in a 2006RB. The only reason I can give for it's longevity is we never connect to city water pressure. When it fails we have another to replace it with.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #11
Our first two Extreme 5.7's went bad after a year each. The present one has lasted 11 years. The last two years have seen it a bit balky at low flows wherein it cycles a few times before giving an even flow. I understand that there may be a way to adjust a nut on the front (facing away from the opening) to help with this. However, I feel so fortunate that it still works that I don't want to tempt fate and touch it.

We only bought a backup last year after the cycling started. It's not the 4008 but the one that is supposed to be a match for the 5.7 .... 4048?! Something like that.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #12
Many years ago, when my Extreme 5.7 had failed for the second time, I had a discussion with Vince at the Factory.  He told me the first three years of 5.7 pumps were good, but, at that point, the manufacture was shifted to China.  The resulting pumps were no longer reliable and the LD factory was anticipating a replacement model, which turned out to be the Revolution later that year.

I have no idea if that is in fact the case, but it is a very brief summary, as I remember it, of our conversation.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #13
Our 2009 Evolution water pump stopped pumping, then started again but would not quit running. I suspected something was amiss with the pressure switch.  I replaced it with the spare we carry. A friend of ours wanted to take it apart and he did while we were running errands. He found some gunk around the pressure switch and it's working again. So we still have a spare.

Finally, some good news
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #14
This topic is very timely, because I've been muddling over the de-winterizing process & some other water-system questions.  The LD is in her nest out at the farm, so I don't know what model I have (but I believe it is a Shurflo that was replaced last year at KS RV in Chanute).

At the time the pump was replaced, they told me the only thing they had on the shelf that would fit & work (& it has) "didn't have a strainer basket."  As I've thought about this, & remembering that the pump in my lawn pond had a filter to keep crud out of the pump, I'm wondering if I should get a new pump that has a strainer basket & just keep this one as a back-up?  However, I've also been reading about folks who have installed filtration systems--either just a single cartridge on the filler hose, or a multi-canister system that is between their fresh tank & pump (those discussions talked about not only sediment, but water-softening to prevent/reduce crud clogging the lines/etc.), so I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts on that.  I was thinking I could fill the fresh tank from the well at the farm for showers/toilet, because I can take drinking/cooking water from town in my dad's gallon farm thermos & fill up on the road as needed, but was a bit leery about unfiltered sediment/etc. from the well going through the pump (or even city/campgound water in unknown places for that matter).

RE: de-winterizing--I'm not sure if I did the blow-out properly when winterizing...it seemed like I got all the water blown out from all the faucets/toilet/sprayer/showerhead/waterheater/etc., but it felt like some air was leaking around the pump as I ran the compressor.  So my question is: does that portend water leaking?  I've not filled/used the system yet this year, as Ive just stayed out at the farm a few times & not yet taken any trips.

Thx for any thoughts on whether replacing the pump without a filter basket should be on the to-do list, filter systems, and potential leaks (if air was leaking during the winterinzing process).

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #15
Lynne

"didn't have a strainer basket." 

The 'strainer basket' is not integral to the pump but rather a separate item that is placed in the water line ahead of the pump so that sediment does not get to the pump. It can be a simple matter to cut the water line in the appropriate location and insert the strainer using hose clamps. Of course every water system can be different and the above may not apply to all.    ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
"However, I've also been reading about folks who have installed filtration systems--either just a single cartridge on the filler hose, or a multi-canister system that is between their fresh tank & pump (those discussions talked about not only sediment, but water-softening to prevent/reduce crud clogging the lines/etc.), so I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts on that.  I was thinking I could fill the fresh tank from the well at the farm for showers/toilet, because I can take drinking/cooking water from town in my dad's gallon farm thermos & fill up on the road as needed, but was a bit leery about unfiltered sediment/etc. from the well going through the pump (or even city/campgound water in unknown places for that matter)."

This is EXACTLY what we do.  We have a fairly elaborate water softener/filtration unit that uses a charcoal filter and a fiber-type filter, each within its own canister, plus the softener tank itself. 

Portable Double Standard Water Softener & Conditioner - On the Go OTG3-DSOFT...

We fill up the RV tank - it takes about an hour - and use distilled water for drinking/cooking.  We either buy or distill our own water for this purpose, depending on length of time to be on a trip.

It sounds like a lot of trouble, but, for us, we thought it was worth it to not have the VERY hard, caliche-laden water around here running through our pipes, even if we had no intention of drinking it.  What does this mean for inconvenience?  Well, if we are careful, that 58-gallon fill up will last us a week.  BUT - we rarely shower in the rig, mostly utilizing campground facilities for this purpose.  I am careful, but not fanatic, with water use, and do almost 100% of meals in the rig from scratch.  I know I could be more careful with water use, but don't go crazy trying to squeeze the most out of every drop available.

If we are staying in a campground, there is basically no inconvenience whatsoever.  It just takes longer to fill the tank, and you need to set a timer, or park yourself by the inlet with a book/tablet/conversation, to keep an eye on it.

If you are boondocking and going into campgrounds ONLY to dump and take on fresh water . . . well, that process would be between you and the owner.  Maybe they would rent you a site for a couple of hours for only slightly more than their usual charge for a regular dump/fill encounter.

But best of all, why not just check into into a campground properly once a week (or whatever time interval is needed) and take advantage of constant electricity for device charging, bulk cooking, and whatever else a campground provides for your particular style of RV'ing.?

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #17
Thx, Steve, for the reply. 

So, rather than doing the work to cut the water line/install strainer basket with hose clamps (if that would even work in my location), an external filter that I could set up between the hose off the well & the clean hose that goes into the fresh tank might be a simpler solution? 

Any thoughts about the water softener to reduce/prevent crud that some people have reported seems to accumulate in the water lines like cholesterol/atherosclerosis in the veins?  Also, re: de-winterizing & what I thought seemed like airleaks (to my decidedly non-mechanical self last fall)--do I just fill/pressurize the fresh tank & look for leaks around the pump where I felt air hissing (or maybe it's just all in my head & I'm overthinking possible disasters)?

Thx--

Lynne
Lynne

Reply #18
Thx, Judie, for the reply & link.

That seemed like the way I thought I should go, but I do appreciate the benefit of experience.  However, this only shows the water softener.  Do you have a separate unit that filters sediment (you mentioned the caliche in your area & I remember putting a filter on the waterline into a house from the well when I lived in on a different farm 40 years ago, because I saw the crud that settled to the bottom of a jug of water right out of the tap).

Lynne
Lynne

Reply #19
Water quality and safety varies. Although I don't drink or cook with the water from the onboard tank (rarely, if ever, hook up to a campground/RV park water supply), I use an inline filter when filling the tank; this is the filter that I've used for years with satisfactory results: Omnipure K5567BB  . The filter comes with or without brass hose fittings; I'm still using the original fittings. The filter specs are available on its vendor sites; a search will bring these up.

In the past, I've dealt with the RV Water Filter Store; excellent customer service and good products. But, the original owners retired last year and sold the business. Just an FYI, just reporting my experience so far: I called the business this morning (no 800 number and only a form for contact) and am waiting for a call back. The website has been redesigned and is less "intuitive" to use than the previous site; the filter mentioned above took a while to locate. When I tried to order the filter, the "Buy Now" button was inactive.

At present, I'm reserving the decision to change vendors; if my call is not returned, the choice is clear.

Obviously, there are other inline filters available, "whole house" filter systems, under-the-sink systems, etc.; the idea is to filter the water at the supply point to keep as much assorted "crud" out of the tank, the lines, and the pump as possible. (Also, obviously, don't fill the tank or hook up to water that's unsafe or of unknown quality.)

YMMV, of course.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
"Thx, Judie, for the reply & link.

That seemed like the way I thought I should go, but I do appreciate the benefit of experience.  However, this only shows the water softener.  Do you have a separate unit that filters sediment (you mentioned the caliche in your area & I remember putting a filter on the waterline into a house from the well when I lived in on a different farm 40 years ago, because I saw the crud that settled to the bottom of a jug of water right out of the tap)."

Somewhere in my PICTURES file there is one of our set up.  I will look for it - later.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #21
Joyce, Judie, & Steve--

Thx so much for knowledge, experience, & suggestions...now I'm on the hunt for the equipment.

Lynne
Lynne

Reply #22

It's easy to use an external filter, on the filler hose. Installing a filter on the water tank fill line is not practical.
Your water pump should have a washable screen filter on the input side.
Something like this.
Amazon.com : SHURflow RV MARINE Water Pump Inline Stainer Filter 255-213 /...

To insure safe drinking water, we have an Omnipure filter, with its own faucet, mounted next to the kitchen sink's faucet.
Omnipure Q-series filter, disp faucet, 2 QCR cartridges: RV Water Filter Store

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #23
Thx, Larry...& also for the link.  I'll take a screen shot for the next time I go to the farm so I can compare you're info to what I've got.

To paraphrase Yakov Smirnoff, "I LOVE this [site]!"

Lynne
Lynne

Reply #24
Here is a picture of our water softener set up.

filters and softener ready to use.jpg (80.99 KB)

Virtual hugs,

Judie