Skip to main content
Topic: Love my '92 23.5 shorty! (Read 593 times) previous topic - next topic
Love my '92 23.5 shorty!
Okay so, it's small, but I'm only one person. I took out the overcab bedding, left the plywood pull out and filled it up with storage drawers!  No storage in this little LD!  I removed the valances, couches, fabric covered decoration behind the dinette, dinette, hinges bed expanders and will replace carpeting with vinyl flooring shortly.  Carpenter will fashion a wider (50") convertible platform for a bed and build a desk and storage cabinet with room for a seat in front.   The rear lounge is built on the storage bays, so I have to incorporate the boxes into my new design.  Instead of sleeping 3, it will now sleep 2.  I couldn't sleep in the overhead. It felt like a coffin!  After asking several people to try it, -everyone- said they wouldn't sleep in it.

A funny thing happened After I washed all the curtains and removed all the old fabric covered foam, valences  etc.  It smelled wonderful inside!  I won't tell you what the foam in the overcab bed looked like but, suffice it to say, I feel -much- better now that it's gone!

By the end of next week, the inside will be done. I spent 5.5k on her immediately. New timing cover, upgrade and repair cab a/c, replace steering bushings, new Bilstein shocks all around, new tires +spare, generator testing and service, oil change, roof seal (Mothership). I think that's it. 

I love this little LD.  People keep approaching me here, telling me how cute it is and about how much they like LD and stories about the ones that got away.  She's a little faded on the outside, but she shines everywhere else!😊😊😊

Thanks for patiently answering my redundant questions, learnin' me about LD and most of all, pointing me in the direction of this beautiful rig.☺

Mimi
Save a life.
Adopting a pet is the closest a human
will ever come to choosing a relative.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Re: Love my '92 23.5 shorty!
Reply #1
Im happy you found what your looking for do you have any pictures of all your updates.
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #2
Mimi that is great to read. I like your upgrades and would love to see photos!
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Mimi,

Many buyers of older LD's take the time to upgrade and refresh their new babies. You have accomplished a great deal in the short time since your purchase. We have followed you on your quest and now, if you will, we will follow you on your LD adventures. One huge plus is your factory reseal of the roof. Now you can head into or away from or just wait out those rainy days that make a Lazy Daze such a joy to sit back in and enjoy the view.

Making it your own is a difficult task. Nicely done.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Mimi,
Congats.  Let me also add, if I may, pictures.  I and I'm sure most others would love to see what you have done to customize your LD. 

Oh and BTW I love to sleep in the overhead of my LD.  It's a purrrrrfect spot for the boys ......

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #5
I couldn't sleep in the overhead. It felt like a coffin!  After asking several people to try it, -everyone- said they wouldn't sleep in it. 

Oh and BTW I love to sleep in the overhead of my LD.  It's a purrrrrfect spot for the boys ......

I kind of enjoyed sleeping in the overcab of our '85 TK.  Yes, it was tight, but when you open up that escape hatch and have an awesome view of the stars above, it didn't seem so coffin-like.

Cats are funny creatures. We never let ours outside because of where we live (too many owls, fox, and other critters that could eat her) so we let her hang out in the garage. She loves to roll around on the concrete out there for some reason.  DW has a big doll house out in the garage and yesterday we couldn't find kitty until we heard meowing coming from inside the dollhouse. Hilarious!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
I look forward to pictures. I've been trying to decide if I want to take out the overcab bed and turn it all into storage or not.  I keep thinking having an additional sleeping option might be nice, but, like your friends none of mine are interested in sleeping up there either. 
Hi, I'm Jo!
My little red wagon is a 1997 23.5 TK

Reply #7
The overhead bunk can be used in many ways
The Factory suggests to limit the weight carried in the bunk, to prevent damage to the coach's frame.
This advice should be followed even more in older rigs where the structural integrity is not known.
That said, I have seen many bunks, loaded with hundreds of pound of books and cooking gear, without apparent damage.
It is a good place to store lightweight gear.

Here's a conversion I built several years ago.
Yahoo - login

I would hate to give up the bunk, it is my favorite place to sleep, the added memory foam mattress is so comfortable.
We leave the escape hatch open at night and having a view of the stars makes waking up in the middle of the night pleasant experience.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
This is the cabinet that Larry built for us. We love it. Sleeping in the overhead just was not for us - too much danger of falling.
The cabinet faces and drawers were done by the Mothership, so it matches.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
The short LDs are the project RV of choice in SoCal. At some point - maybe 25 years old - both the MB & IB drop in value & desirability to the extent that they just become neglected 'hobo' motor homes. But the 20', 22' and 24' models all enjoy second (and third) lives as project vehicles that are perfect for taking to the beach.

There's a perfectly restored (early 80s?) 20' Dodge chassis I see every now and then; new paint, tires, etc. It's really nice - I get inspired to keep our '93 22' forever. It really makes no sense to buy new at this time. We don't use it enough, and it's fairly minimal to keep the old Chevy 454 going. For instance, I need to replace the hoses to the oil cooler - maybe a $300-500 job with parts & labor. But with only 71k original miles, this sucker could last forever.

Reply #10
You are really on top of things to refurbish your LD-  How much did the Mother ship charged to reseal roof? Mine is 30ft so I am sure it will be more but it never has been resealed and am concerned about it. thanks 
2006 30' IB Anniversary Edition

Reply #11
I've been so busy. Sorry for my delayed reply.  I'll respond to everyone asap but, I wanted pop in to tell everyone that I'll post before and after photos soon. I'm not done with the 'after' yet. 😊Just found the fabric for my valances with matching dog bed cover and my sublime organic latex wrapped in organic wool and covered with organic cotton bed/couch cushions aren't ready yet.  I haven't ripped out the carpet yet, but just found the flooring I want.

My theme is Zen meets spa😊  I want say "ahhhhh"... when I walk in the door. That, for me, starts with a wonderful bed.  No storage in the bathroom, so I'm planning to hang a wine rack on the wall to hold rolled up towels.  I hung  door shoe hangers on the bathroom door and installed other organization things inside the closet doors and on the walls using command strips.  I found some cool motion activated led's that I put inside the cabinets. They are awesome.  I don't have to turn on the house lights if I need something in a cabinet plus, they light up the deeper cabinets during the day. 

I ripped out all the carpet shelf, cabinet and drawer liners (icky but thank Heaven for Goo Gone:-) and replaced them all with mint green yoga mat material I washed and cut to size. It works much better than the carpet. -Nothing- slides and it's light in color making it easier for me to see what's there.  Nothing is glued in making cleaning easier.  I prefered yoga mat material to shelf cushion material because it's a closed surface so dirt can't get into crevaces.

I'll get some pictures up shortly and will respond with answers and more info as soon as I can.  Work interferes a little😕

I really love this little shorty and love babying and caring for her.  With only 47k miles, I plan to make sure she lasts for a long time!  I was concerned about how small she was at first but, after Lake Casitas, I was grateful she was short.
Save a life.
Adopting a pet is the closest a human
will ever come to choosing a relative.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Reply #12
Mimi,
You are making great progress and I like it!
Shelf, cabinet, and drawer liners relined with yoga mat is a great idea!

I'm moderately large (slightly wider than petite), so hanging anything on the bathroom door interferes with my shoulders when I'm at the sink.  Kent H.'s suggestion for getting a towel rack to hang over the door was a good one, but I hit it when shaving and toothbrushing.  I bought a pool noodle, cut off a few 1 - 2 inch slices and put them on the vertical rails of the towel rack.  Slide the noodle pieces up the towel rack and wedge them to the very top and  I can hang it on the same bar as the shower curtain is hanging from and it is completely out of the way. We hang three wet towels on it and it doesn't interfere with the throne or standing at the sink.

Keep up the great progress and I hope we meet you out on the road!

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life