Skip to main content
Topic: What's In Your Camera? (Read 54026 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: What's In Your Camera?
Reply #650
Personally, I shoot in the RAW. 🙀 That is, I photograph with my Nikon using only the RAW setting to capture and store all of my images in this uncompressed format.

I won’t go into the finer details. I will only add that not all digital cameras are capable of capturing images in the RAW file format. Many fine digital cameras store only in the JPEG format. Some digital cameras can store images in both formats.

JPEG only cameras are perfectly fine and will do a fantastic job of capturing images. You will also be able to capture far more photographs on the cameras memory card in JPEG than in RAW due to the larger file size of the RAW image. Also, when processing RAW image files, you can convert them into JPEG files for printing later on.

Here is a video by one of my  favorite photographers.  https://youtu.be/N0j8QMmglvw

RAW images have it all. JPEG always leaves something behind. RAW files can be turned into Billboard sized photographs without loosing details or adding grain as is the case JPEG enlargements.

Just something to consider.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #651
To add to what Bill said.  RAW is almost like a digital negative.  So when you sent your film to be developed and printed by a local drug store the machines and printers decided how to make prints of your negatives.  Some photo stores would spend more time printing and adjusting the machines.  The real photo dawgs would develope and print their own.  RAW format will let (pretenders like me) decide how I want photo to look.  Just like back in the day with film, good photographers (like Bill) and good editors make better photos working from their negative than what the “JPEG” does by using a averaging logarithm that is imbedded in a chip. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #652
Kent, go get dressed.  It's cold outside  (sorry, couldn't resist  ;D )
Maybe this should spin off from "what's in your camera"  to "how your camera works"  which is interesting in itself.
Just to tip it further off kilter.    Raw vs JPEG touches on 'lossy' vs 'lossless' compression.  SEE HERE FOR JARGON LACED DESCRIPTION
JPEG is more lossy - it removes what isn't important in the opinion of the capture device (read camera).
On average it's well meaning.  But then boiling and freezing on average are warm.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #653
And let me add one more 'thought' to Bill's observation.    The 'RAW' file is all the information that the sensor 'sees' but the sensor is a manufacturer artifact just like film.  The company picks the response curve.   In the business we called that the H/D curve..   

Again without jump to deep into the weeds the bottom line is no camera can reproduce what is happening in front of your eyes.    None of the tools we use are sensitive enough. 

What is a JPEG?   JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) Definition

glen
p.s.  I, in one occupation or another worked with image making of one type or another from personal images to high end commercial applications. 
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #654
Ah, the RAW vs JPEG debate!  This has long been a topic of discussion and argument on photography oriented forums.  IMHO, it depends on how much post processing (if any)  someone wants to do to squeeze as much out of an image as possible to suit their goals.  If one is just taking snapshots and then sharing with friends or uploading to social media, JPEGs are usually fine.  If you are more invested in your final images, then RAW provides much more latitude for post processing, since the RAW file contains all the image data that the sensor recorded.  Even RAW files usually have one or more camera generated JPEG images embedded within them. Once started down this rabbit hole, you are confronted with other things like color spaces, color managed workflows and color calibrated output devices ;) .  Even the use of the term "raw" and whether it should be lower case or all caps has been debated!

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #655
To add some food for thought ...some of my photographer friends believe that Photoshop can actually come closer to rendering "reality"..... if put in skilled hands...

Nailed it!! Addressing that concept was about 35% of what the PSFLEI class was about!! What caught my interest was the psychology behind why people would prefer that type of alteration to 'reality'. The answer was that PS programs allowing that level of manipulation came onto the market at the same time that 'social media' became a source of "news" for a huge portion of the population. Because of the limitless access granted by social media, OPINIONS couched as FACTS flooded social media and viewers would simply pick the opinions that most closely aligned their own, accepting and sharing them as if they were citeable facts.
That was back in 2006. Around 2012 the MSM  started covering social media responses as 'news' and...............   here we are in 2020 dealing with a huge, pan-generational demographic, who can't or won't differentiate between 'agenda selective opinions' and citeable facts.
An example of this is the idea that 'pit bulls' were originally bred to be 'nanny dogs'. That myth became 'fact' starting around 2013 and remained so for the majority until 2017. A great part of how this came about were the PhotoShopped images of 'pit bulls' next to infants and children the most common era for that alteration being late 1800s to early 1900s.

Attached is a meme addressing that.
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #656
 Look at the difference between my wife image and her sister's image on her camera ......

Pray tell which one is 'real'?
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #657
Alice--

Excellent points, especially about confirmation bias ("OPINIONS couched as FACTS flooded social media and viewers would simply pick the opinions that most closely aligned their own, accepting and sharing them as if they were citeable facts."). 

I'm perplexed with the seeming disappearance of teaching fact vs. opinion (we had tons of worksheets & discussions when I was in school in the '60s, & I remember my 4th grade teacher impressing upon us that The National Enquirer or "because Grandma's cousin said so" were unacceptable as references for reports in her class. 

With the news reports of "deep fakes" it will become even more difficult to sort such things, increasing the importance of having ethical resources...on the other hand, maybe "reality" is only what we think it is  :D (regular physics  :P makes my head spin, much less quantum physics).

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #658
Wow!... now we are getting into a discussion... all sparked by photography... Bravo!

Let us not forget the Latin culture and "Magical Realism"... it is not only our culture that has played with the line between reality, opinion, and... perception....
2005 MB

Reply #659
Lynn,

""
I'm perplexed with the seeming disappearance of teaching fact vs. opinion (we had tons of worksheets & discussions when I was in school in the '60s, & I remember my 4th grade teacher impressing upon us that The National Enquirer or "because Grandma's cousin said so" were unacceptable as references for reports in her class.

YOU AND ME BOTH!!!  I wonder how many American Citizens under 40 know what the tools pictured below are called, let alone also know how to use them!!  I have a theory about why "credulity mitigation training" became extinct in our public school systems. I'll put in your private email.... so other readers won't become comatose out of boredom, from reading said theory here.  :)
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #660
Wow!... now we are getting into a discussion... all sparked by photography... Bravo!

Let us not forget the Latin culture and "Magical Realism"... it is not only our culture that has played with the line between reality, opinion, and... perception....

Not following you here, can you clarify??
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #661
Although an interesting discussion, let's return to the topic "What's in Your Camera?", which is one of the more popular continuous threads on LDOG.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #662
Today my DD and I finished out Disneylands Christmas season with our return to the park after a ten year absence.

So many photo opportunities and a ton of fun.

Kent   

Reply #663
One of our cats (Cali) enjoying the fire on a cold, winter day.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #664
After losing Toby, German Shepherd #5, we decided to get a smaller, more easily handle-able dog next time; a dog we can lift out of the water and back up onto the swim step.  Certainly a little dog who will ride on the kayak to land and launch on beaches.

While camping in the LD at Morro Bay, we had neighbors who were selling two little 8 month lab puppies.  They predicted that the dogs would be about 65lb.  I fixed their boat problem and they dropped their price for two.  Cyndy liked the idea of a lab because, unlike our German Shepherds, they love everyone and don't shed (as much).  Daughter now has the big one and we bought the runt of the litter.

Here is the little lap dog at 8 months.  90lb.  Anyone want to guess how much he will weigh at 2 years? The kayak shot was taken when he was four months.  We haven't tried taking him out yet because the water is cold and I suspect we will all go swimming and I have no idea how we will get him back up onto the kayak.  He will think the whole activity is a lot of fun.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #665
Today my DD and I finished out Disneylands Christmas season with our return to the park after a ten year absence.

So many photo opportunities and a ton of fun.

Beautiful, Kent! I haven't been to Disneyland in over 30 years. Maybe I need to plan a trip?  I hear there is new park called California something or other!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #666
Greg,

California Adventure. In its early days it was so-so. Now it has a lot to offer. New Marvel Adventures area is under construction. Should be interesting.

Tower Of Terror is now Guardians Of The Galaxy. Quite the rush. As a kid elevators made me queasy...this ride takes that to a new level. 

We aren’t getting any younger. Time to strike the iron is while we are still hot...or at least still warm. 🥴

Kent

Reply #667
Night shot of California Adventure in 2014 or so

glen

ps. <smile> guess what equipment I used to get this image?    yup a cell phone.
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #668
We had an interesting sunrise this morning with the fog. Almost looks like a neighbor’s house is on fire.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #669
Glen,

Cell phones are the perfect camera at Disneyland. I did notice a few DSLR’s at the park the other day but they were rare from what I could tell.

Disney regulations state that such equipment may warrant a cast member to question the intent of the guest. YouTube vloggers are supposed to obtain permission to film at the park.

We purchased the MaxPass for our new annual pass. Very cool feature plus it gets free pictures sent to your Disney App from Disney’s pro photographers and ride photos.

Modern cell phones have all kinds of lens features. Whether park hopping or scurrying along a mountain trail, cell phones are pretty handy.

Kent

Reply #670
I adjusted the exposure and cropped the original.  
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #671

While camping in the LD at Morro Bay, we had neighbors who were selling two little 8 month lab puppies. 

Harold

That is a beautiful Lab! Very well-bred, both in temperament and in conformation. The classic Lab, the kind whose drive, temperament and conformation made it capable of being a 'work dog' AND a pet, is very rare now. Thanks to the AKC the breed diverged into a working line and a pet line. The high drive in the working line (LE, SAR, retrieving fowl) precludes their making good/easy pets and the pet line doesn't have the drive or conformation to succeed in those venues.

On the other hand, I CAN NOT believe you traded a pointy eared dog for a floppy eared dog, I think I might start crying!!

PS, fear not, even though it seems like he loves everybody, he will be front-center and ready if you need protection because he can recognize bad intent a mile away.  Take his word for it if that ever happens, no matter who it is.
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #672
Thanks for the thoughts and observations.  We are in agreement. 

Having grown up with pointy eared dogs, raised them in 4H for Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael (and we kept the flunk-outs) , and 38 years with one in the house (sometimes two) continuously, going to a lab is a big transition for me.  He has a completely different temperament and nature.  Sweet, but not really a "real dog".

He absolutely loves Cyndy where all of the German Shepherds chose me. On the other hand, he pretty much likes everyone (even me) who he meets, so we don't have the sometimes uncomfortable situations like we had with pointy eared dogs who distrusted some people (usually accurate first impressions), and were unwilling to back down.

Both labs are drawn to the water and we have to be diligent to keep them on the boat when anchored or at the dock.  Three of the two pointy ears were good swimmers but two couldn't swim a lick.  Heads up, butts down, and panicky facial expressions.  The last one would fall overboard, hated the water, and twice saw the dock and jumped for it as I was bringing the boat to the dock.  He  went into the drink and I had to use evasive maneuvers to keep from squashing him or sucking him under the boat with bow or stern prop wash. We made him wear a harness so we could grab him with a boat hook and pull him to the stern and drag him back on board.

We decided that the next dog would be a lab.

The pointy eared dogs were fast and eager learners, simple to train, loved to work, and if we did something consistently about three times, it was a law.  The lab knows all his commands, but whether he promptly follows our commands might be a matter of what else is more interesting at the time.  He is an AKC back yard breeder pet dog.  He is motivated by 1. food, 2. standing water and mud, 3.  blowing leaves, insects and birds , 4. other dogs who might play and be his friend, 5. us.

He travels in the Lazy Daze nicely.

It will be a new journey.

Pointy ears below:
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #674
The lab knows all his commands, but whether he promptly follows our commands might be a matter of what else is more interesting at the time. 

LOLOL!!!  And THAT is the main difference between GSDs and Labs!!  The (well bred) GSD is genetically predisposed to be seriously single-minded in learning what you want him/her to do and a reward system for them is just a means to help them figure that out sooner.
The (well-bred) Lab, on the other hand, is genetically predisposed to being cheerfully malleable about doing what you want him/her to do. Cheerful malleability means the Lab is ALSO a guru at self-rewarding. There fore, a reward system is not only a requirement for training Labs, but the reward you provide has to be better than any reward he can provide himself.
Find a high-end food treat, one you have never given him before, establish it, and then never offer it at any time except during training.
Doing THAT will greatly improve the alacrity with which he responds to trained commands because it trumps any self-reward.

I can't speak for waterfowl retrieval reward systems, but for LE/SAR/USAR the most common choices were:
1) for those that didn't cook, .. 'fragrant meats' like Hebrew Nat'l hot dogs, braunschweiger, Vienna sausages and etc.
2) for those that did, slow-cooked, cut up, beef roast or chicken breasts, seasoned with garlic powder. (MUCH healthier than #1).
who let the dogs out
1992 RB