Topic: What's In Your Camera? (Read 54009 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: What's In Your Camera?
Reply #550
then there the little princesses:

Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #551
The cell phone is certainly convenient for shooting photos and not carrying heavy DSLR bodies and glass. On the other hand, the shutter lag time is frustrating and the image stabilization and general sharpness can't compare to the DSLR.  I carry both.

My five-year-old grandson made his first channel crossing with us last week.  We experienced small craft advisory conditions with 4 - 5 foot breaking seas, lots of rolling and heavy spray completely over the wheelhouse for a few hours of the six hour crossing.  We convinced him that he might be more comfortable on the helm floor.  The new puppy decided that he looked pretty comfortable, snuggled up close, and they both slept through the roughest section. Neither barfed, which was a nice blessing.

In this cell phone shot, everything is moving with the low frequency, high amplitude rolling boat and the high frequency, low amplitude vibrations of the diesel and running gear.  Perhaps the combination confuses the cell phone IS?  The cell phone was handy to capture the moment, but the image isn't up to photographic standards.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #552
The cell phone is certainly convenient for shooting photos and not carrying heavy DSLR bodies and glass. On the other hand, the shutter lag time is frustrating and the image stabilization and general sharpness can't compare to the DSLR.  I carry both.

My five-year-old grandson made his first channel crossing with us last week.  We experienced small craft advisory conditions with 4 - 5 foot breaking seas, lots of rolling and heavy spray completely over the wheelhouse for a few hours of the six hour crossing.  We convinced him that he might be more comfortable on the helm floor.  The new puppy decided that he looked pretty comfortable, snuggled up close, and they both slept through the roughest section. Neither barfed, which was a nice blessing.

In this cell phone shot, everything is moving with the low frequency, high amplitude rolling boat and the high frequency, low amplitude vibrations of the diesel and running gear.  Perhaps the combination confuses the cell phone IS?  The cell phone was handy to capture the moment, but the image isn't up to photographic standards.
My first thought, of course, is the English Channel but doubt that is so. Which channel did you cross?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #553
"My first thought, of course, is the English Channel..."

Chris

The member lives in southern California. Have you ever heard of the "Channel Islands"?? Perhaps that enough info!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #554
"My first thought, of course, is the English Channel..."

Chris

The member lives in southern California. Have you ever heard of the "Channel Islands"?? Perhaps that enough info!
Thanks, Steve. I clicked on the wrong profile and saw a map of the East Coast which confused me. I am aware of the Channel Islands.

Chris

Reply #555
Chris,
We live in southern California and make regular trips from either San Diego or Dana Point to San Clemente Island and Santa Catalina. We have a small (34 foot) single screw diesel tug/trawler with a displacement hull that makes about 7 - 8kn. most of the time. San Diego to Catalina  west end is our longest crossing at 81 nautical miles (11hours) and Dana Point to the west end is the shortest at 42nm. Although the tug is slow and rolls, it has made the inside passage from Washington to Sitka numerous times, crossed the Columbia River bar several times, and one long passage from Glacier Bay Alaska to San Diego.
When things get rough and uncomfortable, I remind my family that the boat is made for crappy conditions and it is uncomfortable for us , but not dangerous. My children and dogs (and one cat) have been on boats with us for decades. Now the grand kids are aboard and they love it.
When my son finished graduate school, he spent his last $3000 on an ancient, dilapidated POS sailboat  and left for 18 months, ending up in the Sea of Cortez, living on $3/day.
It is in their blood.
My 5 year old grandson likes to say "A boy needs a boat and a dog. I've  got the dog."
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #556
Here is my wife, daughter, SIL, 2 grandkids, and the two new puppies, all stuffed into our little boat.  The puppies are six months old, 70lb each, and are growing at 2 1/2 lb. a week.  Lots of energy and no brains.  The vet says to expect 85 to 105 lb. each.  When in the cockpit, they have to be tied or they jump into the ocean to swim and play. Cyndy and I then have to deal with soaking wet, enthusiastic puppies on the boat.  The boat is getting smaller by the week.  My other two kids and their big dogs were with us on the previous trip, the week before.

Grandson made the crossing with us and stayed on the boat at anchor for two days before his parents and sister arrived.  At five years old, he was quite happy to fish, swim, snorkel, and play on the beach with the puppies from one end of the day to the other.  Me too.  We put the kids up in a hotel on the island, mostly for my sanity.  We kept the puppies with us on the boat.  My grandson cried and told his mom and dad "I don't want to go to the hotel.  I want to stay on the boat with Nana and Poppa!" 
Their family has my old Lance camper and we camp together when the weather gets colder at the islands. Now my daughter is jonesing for a Lazy Daze.  We are passing our lifestyle/recreational afflictions on to the next generation.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #557
Here is my wife, daughter, SIL, 2 grandkids, and the two new puppies, all stuffed into our little boat.  The puppies are six months old, 70lb each, and are growing at 2 1/2 lb. a week.  Lots of energy and no brains.  The vet says to expect 85 to 105 lb. each.  When in the cockpit, they have to be tied or they jump into the ocean to swim and play. Cyndy and I then have to deal with soaking wet, enthusiastic puppies on the boat.  The boat is getting smaller by the week.  My other two kids and their big dogs were with us on the previous trip, the week before.

Grandson made the crossing with us and stayed on the boat at anchor for two days before his parents and sister arrived.  At five years old, he was quite happy to fish, swim, snorkel, and play on the beach with the puppies from one end of the day to the other.  Me too.  We put the kids up in a hotel on the island, mostly for my sanity.  We kept the puppies with us on the boat.  My grandson cried and told his mom and dad "I don't want to go to the hotel.  I want to stay on the boat with Nana and Poppa!" 
Their family has my old Lance camper and we camp together when the weather gets colder at the islands. Now my daughter is jonesing for a Lazy Daze.  We are passing our lifestyle/recreational afflictions on to the next generation.
Thanks for the update, Harold. You're livin' the dream. You've kept me busy tonight. You also drove me to look up "jonesing" because I wanted to know more about its derivation.

Chris

Reply #558
No picture= It never happened.

Here is my son and his puppy departing San Diego on a calm morning for what ended up being 18 months at sea.  1978 Catalina 27 that leaked so badly that every night it filled with water to the cabin sole.  The bilge pump died mid trip and he had to pump the boat out with a "suck/squirt" every morning.  The radio didn't work.  He had no way to get weather reports, other than asking other cruisers.  He made it through two Mexican hurricanes, one grounding, numerous dragged anchors, loneliness, broken ribs from surfing the Pacific coast of Baja, lost his engine in the first several months and had to sail EVERYWHERE, traded fish and lobster he caught with other cruisers for supplies he needed, and recognized when the trip was over, traded off the boat, and returned to the States.

As he sailed down the channel, my wife and I both cried because we really didn't think we would ever see him again.  We had to let him go.  He left a cocky, arrogant millennial,  and returned a calm, capable, thoughtful young adult.
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #559
Harold,

It’s amazing what a life experience will do to enlighten a person.

When I was a teen in junior high, I was bullied by a neighborhood thug of sorts. His little gang of Junior Thugs used to chase my buddy and me after school. Never caught us.

A few years after High School the Senior Thug cornered me down the street from my house. Shocked as heck when he extended his hand and apologized for his bad behavior. “I learned a lot in the Army and now have kids of my own”, he said.

I shook his hand and hoped never to see him again. I haven’t. Glad your son is safely back home.

Kent 
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #560
Kent,
It was my pleasure meeting and camping with you. Thank goodness you are friendly, thoughtful, and kind in person.
Anyone who made the mistake of bullying you would be risking serious health consequences!
Thanks for sharing. Experiences can make profound changes in people.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #561
This something about heading down the road ......
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #562
Which brought THIS  to mind. 
Thanks for sharing.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #563
Found this picture when looking through a bunch of older LD related travel pictures.  This was an informal group of LDs traveling together in the Southwest in April 2005.  This image was taken in Capitol Reef NP.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #564
Nice, I do like the old style paintwork
AlphPup
 2001 TK “Dazi”

Reply #565
The only rig number (Caravan Club) I can read is 2472 which belonged to Jim and Carol Williams. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #566
FYI only
Just got a new Pixel 4 yesterday.  One of the reasons what the "night" shot setting.  This morning around 5ish I took this image.  Location almost downtown Portland,Or.
Hand held.

PersonalObservation
My plan is to do more testing with a tripod and darker nights.  But .... IMHO not bad for a hand held about 5 sec snap.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #567
Sessional work done, Lefty decided to go for a trip. Someplace called Deadhorse Gulch. 

Reply #569
Nope, it is a 2000 Harley Fat Boy that will turn 20 years old the first week of Dec.  My brother has about 77,000 mi. (Yes that is five digits with no tenths, it is no garage queen).  It looks better close up. He has changed the cam, carbs, done some head work, added headers, changed the saddle, and done the periodic maintenance. It has been very reliable. 

Reply #570
Nope, it is a 2000 Harley Fat Boy that will turn 20 years old the first week of Dec.  My brother has about 77,000 mi. (Yes that is five digits with no tenths, it is no garage queen).  It looks better close up. He has changed the cam, carbs, done some head work, added headers, changed the saddle, and done the periodic maintenance. It has been very reliable.

Well, it was a pretty good guess for just having the  back tire to determine!!  Love fat boys!!  Before K9 I was in Special Ops (horse, motor and marine). My assigned motor was no garage queen either, LOL!!  (4 years old, 2 as a trainer). The siren was not electric, it was activated using the rotation of the rear wheel, via a foot pedal. Below 30mph you had no siren.

(pix= guess the year, far left in the back, white horse)
who let the dogs out
1992 RB

Reply #571
We have spent the last two and a half weeks in the Lazy Daze exploring the northern California and southern Oregon coast and across into the Trinity Alps.  Fall travel has the possibility of inclement weather, but we lucked out once we escaped the fire difficulties and the weather was wonderful.  Exploring and hiking on weekdays provided quiet trails and solitude in the forests.  As always, the redwood forest was sublime; even more so with near complete silence and no other visitors.

We are now beginning to mosey back toward home.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #572
Cyndy spends months hunting for the best places to camp.  This scene was directly behind the Lazy Daze for our three day stay. I would wake, make a cup of coffee and go out and watch the kingfisher catch little fish.  Being fall, there were no biting insects, but the temperatures were near freezing in the early morning. 
Cyndy sat in the bed and watched the scene out of the window with the furnace keeping her toasty. 

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #573
Taken from shore at the rock at Morro Bay.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #574
Not much on the quality, but it's in the camera.  Seligman Route 66 KOA. Heading for Raleigh NC for grandaughter's 10 B-Day party.
Passed a Red/White LD N-Bound on US95 today as I was headed South.  Blinked hello.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE