Skip to main content
Topic: What's In Your Camera? (Read 53902 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: What's In Your Camera?
Reply #50

Manzanar is an interesting stop where we have heard a variety of diverse remembrances.  I was a student in a classroom taught by a former Manzanar resident when I was in 6th grade.  He had many negative recollections of living there as a young man.  I met a woman at Manzanar who was there as a child and shared wonderful memories of dances and movies and friendships with the other children. David Suzuki's recollections of being interred as a child were very positive in his book where he recollects living at an internment camp in Canada.
(Amazon.com: The David Suzuki Reader: A Lifetime of Ideas from a Leading...)
War makes humans do things they would never otherwise consider, and internment of citizens was  a terrible thing, but the recollections of actual former residents was interesting and showed the spectrum of ways that they dealt with the experience.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #51
Speaking of Manzanar, I had the pleasure of meeting Dorothy and Mikio last fall. Both of these folks were interred in different camps during the war. As I recall, Dorothy was actually born in a camp.

This couple are avid Lazy Dazers and if you ever have the chance to meet and talk with them you will be amazed at the stories they can tell. They are both college educated (he a professor) and they had this old soldier sitting on the edge of his chair, hanging on every word.   O:)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #52
While at Quartzite this month, I discovered there was an internment camp about 10 mi SW of Parker on the CRIT reservation.  Apparently the memorial was built by former internees.  One of my Tai-Chi instructors was interned near Cody WY.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #53
I had a Japanese-American uncle (last name Kikuchi) who I, later in life, found out was interned during the war. I don't think it was Manzanar but not sure. He was probably my favorite uncle and I regret not ever talking to him about it. He has since passed at the ripe old age of 99.   :'(
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #54
Finally made the leap and purchased a Dell XPS 15 Ultra HD Touch Screen Lap Top. Yeah for me.🤩

Now I can see what I’ve been shooting with my D800e and do sometime with them. Figuring out how to email images from my memory cards after editing pictures is a lesson I’ve been reteaching myself.

Here is a shot of some sort of berry bush in Indian Cove Campground. I was able to edit it in Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and email myself the image.

Does anyone here know what the plant is? I can hardly wait to find my old shots of the Yosemite Snow Flower I captured while at Serrano last year. Those will be fun to work with.

Enjoy,

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #56
Thanks Greg,

Truly an interesting plant. After reading the details of the plant, it appears to have a lot of positive attributes and some potential dangers.

Kent

Reply #57
Posting with no comment ......
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #58
Hmmm...Do they have one of the signs on the men’s room? Let’s be gender equal in all regards, right? 🧐

Reply #59
I have struggled with getting those creamy flowing water shots for a while. You know the ones. The beautiful waterfall with the cascading silky flow of effluent that beckons you to visit the Bahamas or says “Hey, the Grand Canyon is the place to be”.

Here’s a shot I captured in the Merced in Yosemite Valley last year. This is along Happy Isles. Once again I wandered about endlessly shooting as my DW patiently left me behind.

I hope you enjoy the pic.

Kent

Reply #60
I found this light in Florida to be visually enticing...
2005 MB

Reply #61
I'm a pattern/abstract kind of shooter when left to my own taste .......
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #62
I enjoy a shift in weather patterns. Sometimes the sky just wants to close in and change the mood.

Here’s a shot I got with my Nikon last year at Serrano on the edge of Big Bear Lake.

Enjoy,

Kent

Reply #63
Wow! Nice moonshot Kent.... Here is a more graphic shot of Palm Canyon in Anza Borrego State Park © Bill Benson
2005 MB

Reply #64
Bill,

Thanks for your comment but that is actually a sunset. Just before the sun dropped below the west end of the lake.

Your shot is very interesting. What exactly are we looking at?

Kent

Reply #65
Kent-

Whoa... I thought that was the moon. My shot is of a Palm leaf... I intentionally underexposed the sidelighting to
accentuate the lines of the leaf.
2005 MB

Reply #66
Bill,

Exactly what I thought it was but the lines are so parallel I was a bit bewildered.

Art has a way of fooling with our brains.

Here’s something a little more obvious from my trip to Watchman in Zion last March.

Kent

Reply #67
An older picture taken a few years ago when I escaped winter to Florida.   This was at Long Point State Park

D600 with 24-85 kit lens at f14, 1/400 sec, ISO 2000  .... (yes my camera was set up for another shot when I got this so the settings were not ideal for this kind of shot)
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #68
When out in the wild it is important not to skip on the daily exercise... 
DSC_4588

We will start with a one leg stretch ...

Now while the left leg is back move you left wing behind your back, HAY back there, NO RESTING your wing on the tail feathers.

Dont forget the neck stretches.  Chickens, remember not to twist you necks to much, your not an owl ya know.

Get ready for the closing... and hold it ... hold it..

And shake it alllllll out.
DSC_4599

That's all folks....
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #69
Hmmm...

While some of us will happily join the program. Others just sit idly by and wonder what all the hubbub is all about.

Reply #70
              Ahhh... nice work popping up, I love it!                    Yea Kent, this may be TMI, but palms are closely related to grasses, and unlike most vascular large  "trees" or Dicots, they are in a group called Monocots. 
            "Dicot veins are usually netlike, there is a single continuous vascular ring, woody secondary growth is present in trees and shrubs and flower parts occur in multiples of 4s or 5s. Palm trees are the monocots most easily confused with woody dicots."  Hope this explains the parallel look in the photograph.... so much to see... too little time...glad your eye picked this up!

Bill
2005 MB

Reply #71
Last July my DW and I took our time and drove the LD to Yellowstone National Park. Having picked up a rental car in Jackson Hole, Wyoming I had the opportunity to shoot a boat load of photos.

Geysers were everywhere. Amazingly beautiful “holes in the ground”. Here is a pic of one geyser that I called the Donut Hole, mostly because I don’t recall what the NPS named it. Playing with Photoshop Elements, I came up with this angry beast.

Enjoy,

Kent

Reply #72
Great shot Kent!.... Here is one from Anza- Borrego State Park...
2005 MB

Reply #74
Some of our  favorite disbursed campsites from the last two years.
Ed