Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Bergman L-300 door lock with keyless pad entry (Read 628 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing Bergman L-300 door lock with keyless pad entry
Our 1997 27' MB has been one great rig.  Just came back from a nice 4 day "test" camping run of 450 miles before our British Columbia month long outing in August.

I've always worried about security when we leave the rig and go hiking with the dogs.  I'd like to upgrade the door lock as it is 20 years old and getting weak.  I've replaced all the exterior storage locks with cylinder key units.
Is there a keyless (number keypad) replacement others have used successfully or just a more secure unit? 

Did a key word search and didn't find any results.
Thanks for any insights and excuse me if there is a thread on this I missed.
Rod M.
Walnut Creek,  CA

Re: Replacing Bergman L-300 door lock with keyless pad entry
Reply #1
Something I would consider is that coach security is only as good as cab security, a relatively easy point of entry. If the coach door latch is worn, I would just replace it with a similar new one. If you have no deadbolt, you could consider adding that. We lock our deadbolt, and not the door latch.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Rod

" I would just replace it with a similar new one."

I concur with Steve... I just recently had my RV Service guy replace the two springs in my door latch and that tightened up the sagging handle almost to original.

By the way, noted your location of Walnut Creek! Didn't know I had another LD owner so close. I'm in Concord.  :)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
If they want in, parked at a trail head, they will just break a cab door window, won't they? Personally I'd just get rid of the dogs but most don't find that very funny.

You can upgrade the door locks to make them punch proof.

Truck Security Jimmi Jammer
Harry 2006RB

Reply #4
Thanks for the ideas. I would still like to do a keyless (keypad) entry lock. Has anyone done this upgrade? There are several on the market.

Reply #5
In case no one has experience, I don't know if this fits, but operation would be typical:

Bauer RV NE RV Electric Door Lock

Note that it uses 4 AA batteries, which, from my experience,  will eventually leak and corrode the contacts if left installed in the heat. The linked website shows that keys are provided to operate if the batteries fail, and they recommend removing the batteries when not in use. This would seem to defeat the purpose, unless your goal is to give multiple users access, then change the code - if that is a feature.

Steve

2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
I wonder if lithium AA batteries would be a better choice?
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #7
I've always worried about security when we leave the rig and go hiking with the dogs.  I'd like to upgrade the door lock as it is 20 years old and getting weak.  I've replaced all the exterior storage locks with cylinder key units.
Is there a keyless (number keypad) replacement others have used successfully or just a more secure unit? 

Security is something we need to be aware of at all times, especially these days.

Just came across this on the Subaru forums. Perhaps unlikely that your LD would be targeted but if you have a desirable toad, you never know. Having the gas filler cap on the right side, like the Outback, makes your car an easier target in this situation.  Video is at end of article:

Bold Woman Jumps On Her Subaru Outback As It's Being Stolen - The Drive
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
"Security is something we need to be aware of at all times, especially these days."
---
Yes, as is putting a bit of common sense and "surroundings awareness" into play. One deterrent to the opportunistic gas station car thief is to lock all your rig and/or car doors when pumping gas! 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
"Security is something we need to be aware of at all times, especially these days."
---
Yes, as is putting a bit of common sense and "surroundings awareness" into play. One deterrent to the opportunistic gas station car thief is to lock all your rig and/or car doors when pumping gas! 

Good advice, Joan! Here is a better view of that incident. Had the Subaru owner locked her door before fueling, it probably wouldn't have happened:

Woman fights off car thieves in broad daylight : videos

My apologies to the OP for sidetracking this thread.  I'll stop now.  ;D
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10
Having secure locks on one's vehicle is, unfortunately, totally necessary.  Although rare, one unpleasant/scary experience would be puh-lenty for me.  Having spent 36 years in Miami, Florida, criminal intent is always on my mind, even though I have been away from there for an additional 32 years. 

Especially when alone, I always lock all the doors to my vehicle at a gas station.  There are just too many opportunities for mayhem at all levels.  When traveling together (we drive separately), it practically requires choreography to make sure all doors are secure on both vehicles while fuel is being pumped on the opposite side of the vehicle.  Often a trip inside the emporium is required for one reason or another, so special care must be taken to safeguard the possession of the credit card being used, as well.

It has become more common for a set amount to be charged to the card and then the card is returned.  When fueling has been completed, the actual amount is charged.  Formerly, the attendant kept the card on the register until the fueling was complete.  This required that I stand right in the way at the cashier's station to watch it at all times.  This was time consuming, and a tacit insult to an honest clerk.

A purse sitting on the passenger seat is an exceedingly tempting and easy-to-accomplish theft situation.  Even while driving, I keep mine on the floor in the back behind the driver's seat, pretty much out of sight.  If you toss a black cloth over valuables on the floor of the back seat, they become pretty invisible at a quick glance, which is what thieves do to scope out possible "hits".  Although fairly vulnerable to intrusion, the trunk also hides possible targets.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  The Deer are Here

Reply #11
I have no dog in this fight and lean neither pro or con! That being said, I am glad to see the increase in situational awareness that did not exist just a few years back.   8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #12
Interesting discussion on security started. One door lock doesn't stop a theft.  The keypad entry idea must not be as common as I might have assumed.  Just might make it a bit tougher for the opportunist.

Harder to trust these days unfortunately.

Are the RV door locks and dead bolt lock keys individual or is it more like the almost universal keyed alike cargo compartment keys?
Happy teails,
Rod

Reply #13
"Are the RV door locks and dead bolt lock keys individual or..."

My '04 has individual locks and keys, what about yours?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #14
"Are the RV door locks and dead bolt lock keys individual or..."

My '04 has individual locks and keys, what about yours?   ::)
Yes, Lazy Bones, two seperate keys. But how many variations are there?  1? 5? 10? 50?
Just don't know.

Reply #15
"But how many variations are there? "

Perhaps the answer to that can be found at the factory!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #17
JMHO, but I see two "security concerns" when parking and leaving the vehicle: 1) preventing someone from breaking into the rig (or any vehicle) and stealing the contents or vandalizing the interior, and, 2) preventing the vehicle from being stolen after it's broken into.

Again, IMO, there's no reliable, effective way to prevent #1; a keypad door entry may stop a casual, opportunistic thief/vandal, but a more determined individual is likely to just smash the driver's or passenger's door window, unlock the cab, and get in to rip off/destroy whatever s/he is able to.

Theft of the vehicle itself might be stymied by some sort of "engine lock"; this type of preventive might be worth of research. But, even if the vehicle were not stolen, an engine lock wouldn't prevent theft or vandalism of the interior, nor prevent someone prying open the compartments (despite cylinder locks).

Thefts of all kinds happen anywhere and everywhere, even in the unlikeliest of places; at a recent bluegrass festival (hardly a hangout for hardcore thieves!) I attended, some miscreant, probably just walking by the rig and noticing the Nite-Ize rubber-covered gear ties used to secure the camp chairs to the rig ladder hanging from rung, ripped them off!  :o

http://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp

Casual pilfering seems to be getting more and more common, even in what might be considered "safe" places, and there seems little to do to try to prevent it except by not leaving any "stuff" unsecured outside of the rig and/or toad. I've had very few issues with RV-related thefts or damages over many years in many places; I have no plans to upgrade locks, but I intend to even more cautious in the future about leaving anything "vulnerable" outside of the rig at almost any campsite.  Even gear ties!  ::)

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
When boondocking I generally run a cable lock from one door handle to the other in the cab. The cab door locks are relatively easy to pop so I decided to make it difficult to open them once popped. Of course, they can break a window but it requires more time and noise.

I looked into having the cab windows coated with a with a break resistance film. One vendor that did that kind of thing told me that the film would be too thick and was designed for fixed glass.

Jim

Reply #19
I've often thought a large angry dog barking inside the coach would deter a would be thief.

Perhaps a motion sensitive recording of this beast https://youtu.be/EBGWeYbdmy4 could be activated when an intruder attempts to break into the rig. Of course it better be pretty loud since LD's tend to be pretty sound proof.

For chairs and tables set up outside, I use two dog tie out cables (without the screw) and a padlock or two to lash the furniture together when I think it's necessary.

Frustrating to think one would have to take such precautions. This is just another reason that I'm happy to take my 45 year old ten speed camping rather than some bright and shinny bike.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #20
I think like Jim. The quickest way in is through the cab. I also cable the front doors. We had our MB broken in to and vandalized while it was in covered 3 sided storage. They went up on the roof and stomped up and down on the sky light over the shower. That caved in but didn't break through. Their next step was to bust through the egg beater fan over the toilet. Must have been a small kid. You could tell they were kids because they didn't steal anything pawn-able. They loved the fire extinguisher and anything that sprayed and made a mess. Ripped up the TV trying to get it out. Graffiti cleaned up and using insurance, we replaced the bathroom fan with a fantastic fan and the sky roof is replaced. My point is that the door locks are a strong point. Our MB is at a new covered storage facility that isn't next to a trailer park. - Gary