Skip to main content
Topic: Oh my Macerator-Where did I go wrong  (Read 304 times) previous topic - next topic
Oh my Macerator-Where did I go wrong
Ok, so as far as tools and sheds go, I may not be the sharpest. But given time, I have a fair chance of figuring out what I did wrong AND sometimes what I did right.

So, yesterday I'm preping for a trip to Big Bear. I filled the gray tank a couple of days prior and the black tank although set up has been sitting for a couple of weeks so it's time to flush both tanks.

Enter my Flush King/Flo Jet Macerator set up. Now I've done this same routine several times in the past so I figure I'd get it done in no time.

Hah! Hook up the Power to the coach batteries and away I don't go. The Macerator is trying its best to churn through practically nothing... Mostly water. Nothing coming out of the other end of the hose...not even a drop. A jam in the works? I wondered.

Grab the tools and disassemble the Flo Jet. Nothing there to speak of in the way of debris. Reassembled the motor just grunts mournfully. Hmmm... Loose connection at the battery terminals?

Reseated the battery clips from the Flo Jet...still no whir at the blades the motor quietly grunting.

What has gone wrong? I wondered. Blown motor already? The thing is only three or for months old and this is so sudden.

Then I see it. Yikes. I feel so sheepish. https://youtu.be/YIj0qhYzqCU

There right before my eyes the source of my trouble. Although I had marked the - and + terminals of the battery, I had inadvertently attached the leads from the Flo Jet to the positive leads of the two batteries.

After attaching the - lead to its appropriate battery terminal my problem was solved. Lesson learned. Time to share my blunder. Nuff said.

That being said, I did update my signage in my battery bay. I also made a huge improvement when it comes to usage of the flush wand inside the rig. I'd go on In greater detail, but a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Bahhh....

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Oh my Macerator-Where did I go wrong
Reply #2
Craig,

Those look handy. I am currently using simple clips. Nothing special. I can see how the Anderson Connectors could make the connection more convenient and idiot proof.

I'll have to look more closely at that option. 

Kent

Reply #4
Very informative videos. There are a few things I can think of where the Anderson Connector will be very useful.

Thanks

Kent

Reply #5
Kent,
I have several of these connectors left over from a project I did.  They are bigger than 30A, if I recall correctly and still in the sealed package. 
I'll swap them to you for a cup of coffee and a doughnut.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #6

Anderson plugs are as good as it gets, but they are expensive and may be more than what is needed for this application.

I  have used two-prong, polarized trailer plugs, for over thirty years, to wire most of my 12-volt accessories.
They come in various wire sizes, that handle most of the needs we have in our LDs.
Our stone-age macerator uses a pair of them.
Macerator pump | Flickr
The macerator uses a 10-gauge plug, like the one below.
Amazon.com: CES 10 Gauge 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Harness: Automotive

I use the same size plug on the air compressor and inverters.
Butter the plug's contacts with dielectric grease to keep them from corroding.

I have used many Anderson plug over the decades, primarily on very large battery chargers and battery jumpers, used to start large tractors and diesel trucks.
They are the Industry's standard and have the durability to stand up to commercial service.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Larry, I too use the two prong polarized trailer plugs.  Just make sure that the hot side has the positive in the protected tube and the ground on the protruding prong.

Ken F in OR
'08 MB