Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Cam (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic
Dash Cam

Been kicking this around for a few months.
Anyone see any value in having a Dash Cam?
Anyone have one on their LD?
Or is it simply just one more wire to deal with?

This one plays to very good reviews on Amazon. $130 seems decent.

Amazon.com: 3.0" Car Dash Cam, Super HD 1440P 170 Wide View Angle Dashboard...

Ed

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Re: Dash Cam
Reply #1

Ed,
I have two one in my class B and one in my daily driver. It is more wires so I bought a four port USB charger.  Like this: Amazon.com: iXCC 48W 4-Port Multi USB Car Charger Adapter for iPhone 7 6s...

Alternatively I hooked up this as a power source in the Class B:
Amazon.com: Spy Tec hardwire_mini Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit: Cell...

My experience says it will likely incriminate me as fast as it will incriminate the other driver!

Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #3
I whole-heatedly recommend some form of dash camera (and side view, if possible).  I have probably mentioned this before in a forum response, but it is appropriate to repeat.  I am employed by a major US public transportation agency.  I work in the Safety Division of that agency.  A large part of my job entails reviewing DriveCam videos of all sorts of incidents that occur daily while we roll 860 buses, 170 rail cars, and numerous non-revenue vehicles equipped with video recorders.  Nothing other than the cameras on these vehicles can claim the credit for so significantly reducing the number of, and amount of (by millions) claims against the agency.  I know that my counter-parts in other transit agencies all have similar reductions, and all have employed cameras on their agency revenue vehicles. Most large national and regional trucking fleets now use them, as well.

Now, the sophisticated systems employed in public transit vehicles are decidedly different than a simple system employed in a privately owned vehicle, but that is not to say it would be any less effective or advantageous.  Also, concerns about any obligation to provide opposing parties copies of your privately owned video of a collision can be allayed somewhat by the fact that you have no such obligation to provide that video unless you are using it in a claim or law suit.  In that instance it is discoverable, but at that juncture, it is probably you that is "in the right" so it is advantageous to you to put the video out there.  In most instances where you might be "in the wrong" you would not have an obligation to disclose the video without a court order to produce it.  Check with your insurance carrier on that, but that is pretty standard. The video is your private property.
2017 RB

Reply #4
I
I whole-heatedly recommend some form of dash camera (and side view, if possible).  I have probably mentioned this before in a forum response, but it is appropriate to repeat.  I am employed by a major US public transportation agency.  I work in the Safety Division of that agency.  A large part of my job entails reviewing DriveCam videos of all sorts of incidents that occur daily while we roll 860 buses, 170 rail cars, and numerous non-revenue vehicles equipped with video recorders.  Nothing other than the cameras on these vehicles can claim the credit for so significantly reducing the number of, and amount of (by millions) claims against the agency.  I know that my counter-parts in other transit agencies all have similar reductions, and all have employed cameras on their agency revenue vehicles. Most large national and regional trucking fleets now use them, as well.

Now, the sophisticated systems employed in public transit vehicles are decidedly different than a simple system employed in a privately owned vehicle, but that is not to say it would be any less effective or advantageous.  Also, concerns about any obligation to provide opposing parties copies of your privately owned video of a collision can be allayed somewhat by the fact that you have no such obligation to provide that video unless you are using it in a claim or law suit.  In that instance it is discoverable, but at that juncture, it is probably you that is "in the right" so it is advantageous to you to put the video out there.  In most instances where you might be "in the wrong" you would not have an obligation to disclose the video without a court order to produce it.  Check with your insurance carrier on that, but that is pretty standard. The video is your private property.

Interesting subject.  I just purchased a Subaru Outback which has the Eyesight system.  My understanding is that, in the event of an accident, certain data can be accessed via the ODB-II port.  Not sure if video is stored.  Do you have any knowledge of the Eyesight system?

EyeSight
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
Not directly, but my youngest son recently purchased the same model Subaru, also equipped with Eyesight, so I can ask him.  He is also a collision investigator.  I do know that he has augmented his Subaru with a second camera recording system.  I will ask which system he is using. By the way, he loves that Subaru. 
2017 RB

Reply #6

Ed,

I got the one linked to below after two separate incidents where other drivers came so close to cutting me off while passing at highways speed that I was amazed they didn't catch my left front pulling back in front of me.  Had it happened, I'd have a record, and worse, if I hit either as a result of a 'bump', it would have probably have been perceived as my fault.  In Houston, I was passed on the left in heavy traffic, and then the woman who cut me off proceeded to cross two more lanes of traffic to barely make the exit she wanted.  Duh!

It's easy enough to use, has good features well discussed on Amazon. 

It has the capability to record GPS location and your speed, so as Rodney says, it could be used by police to issue a ticket if they ended up looking at the recording for some reason.  But if they are, that's probably not what one would be most concerned about.

Amazon.com: KDLINKS X1 Full-HD 1920 x 1080 165 Degree Wide Angle Dashboard...

Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #7
Well, I work out west, not in Texas, but I can say with a degree of certainty that it would be very unlikely that an officer could use your video to issue you a citation.  That is a definite 4th and 5th Amendment issue.  Your privately owned video can not be used against you any more than could be you giving testimony against yourself.  All self-incrimination issues protected by the 5th.  (I am not an attorney, but have extensive law enforcement experience.)

That said, it is very likely that any officer pulling you over these days -- particularly in larger jurisdictions -- has dash cam video from their patrol vehicle.  That can most likely be used as a "probable cause" basis to proceed against you with a citation or an arrest.  Also, I know of several metro areas that now have deployed fixed traffic-cams at various high-incident locations.  I believ that those videos are often readily -- if not available upon demand (web-based) -- to a traffic officer.
2017 RB

Reply #9
Got a DezlCam from Garmin thanks to Kristine's wonderful sales skills, HA. Will use it in the RV as I drive along at leisurely pace in Ruby. Started off using it in the car and immediately stopped for the reasons others have mentioned. I am no speed demon but I consistently drive 5 to 8 over the limit so self-incrimination was a concern.

I have a friend whose husband is a state patrolman. I asked him about speeding and what's safe and what will get you a ticket. He said, "At nine your fine, at 10 you're mine"! Have always kept that in mind!🙃
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #10
I have a friend whose husband is a state patrolman. I asked him about speeding and what's safe and what will get you a ticket. He said, "At nine your fine, at 10 you're mine"! Have always kept that in mind!🙃

I had heard 7 was good.  Guess I can go a little faster now?  But Officer, I heard it on the internet!  O:)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
Any video captured by your camera in your vehicle can not be used by a traffic officer to issue you a citation.  Perhaps it can be seized in a misdemeanor or felony investigation (ie, fatal collision, DUI with injuries, etc.) with a court order (but waaaaay too much bother/expense for a mere infraction speeding ticket).
2017 RB