Skip to main content
Topic: MB rear room 120v outlet open neutral (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic
MB rear room 120v outlet open neutral

The 120v outlet in the rear bedroom of our 2003 MB stopped working a few months ago.  I spent some time looking into it today but I'm not 100% sure what's wrong.

I know it has an open neutral due to one of those small yellow 3 light outlet testers.  It looks like the last outlet in a string b/c there is only 1 romex cable coming into it. 

I connected a spare wire to the neutral bus bar in the breaker box (power off) and tested continuity to the neutral leg of all the other outlets.  All were fine (0 reading) except for the broken outlet. 

I tried to follow the wiring in the coach and I THINK the wire for this outlet comes from the outlet that faces outside on the opposite side (passenger side).  Of course the cover for this outlet is painted on (and glued on, and probably glued again!) and so I'm hesitant to pry it off.   Being an outside outlet, it does get exposed to the elements despite the Bell outlet covers.  This outlet seems to test and work fine.

I'm working on 2 theories:

(1) the connection from the outside outlet across the coach (along with some plumbing) has corroded or is otherwise bad. 
OR
(2) the wire has been chewed, bent, frayed along the way

Before I pry off the cover and open the outlet on the outside wall of the coach for more testing(near the water heater), can anyone tell me if this is indeed the correct 120V wiring path for a 2003 Mid-Bath?

Rich
'03 MB in NC

2003 MB

Re: MB rear room 120v outlet open neutral
Reply #1
Rich, I think it is the right path.  Were I you, before I struggled with the outside outlet, I would open the outlet giving you trouble, to see it the neutral there has come loose or is damaged.  Next, open the access panel on the rear bathroom wall at the bottom.  (My MB does not have a left side couch.  With the couch, you might not have to open a panel.)  You should be able to see the wire from the problem outlet there. It next runs through a channel under the hallway floor to the outside outlet.  You can view the right part by removing the drawers in the bottom of the wardrobe. 

If all of that looks good, I would then tackle the outside outlet.  I would first remove the screws, then carefully cut the paint along the edge of the cover plate with a razor knife, to go through the paint but NOT the aluminum.  Be gentle.  Now, with the power off, use a putty knife to protect the siding as you work the cover plate off.

Good luck.

Ken F in OR
'08 MB