Skip to main content
Topic: Onan generator issues (Read 192 times) previous topic - next topic
Onan generator issues
Problem: Generator not running

Trouble shooting why generator will not run if connected to main fuel line but will if hose is inserted in a 5 gallon can of gas.
2002 30' IB

Re: Onan generator issues
Reply #1
First, is the main fuel tank at least 1/4 full?  The generator can't get fuel if it's not.

Are you familiar with the short section of fuel hose on top of the fuel tank that rots and causes air leaks?

Fuel tank generator hose replacement | Flickr

That's would be my first suspect for a generator that will run in a can of gas but not from the main fuel tank.  Larry (see pics) replaced his without dropping the fuel tank.  I just finished dropping the fuel tank to replace the main fuel pump and replaced the rotting fuel line section at the same time.

If you have a way (not your mouth) to put a suction on the fuel line back to the main tank you could probably determine if air is getting it.

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #2
Problem: Generator not running

Trouble shooting why generator will not run if connected to main fuel line but will if hose is inserted in a 5 gallon can of gas.
Your profile doesn't show your LD's age.
In the early 2000s, most LDs built then had problems with two rubber hoses, located at each end of the fuel line, running from the LD's gas tank to the generator, rotting and leaking air.
This is probably your LD's issue. You have perform the standard test for determining this.
The tank usually needs to be partially dropped to access the top of the tank. Long arms are an asset.
If it is an a high mileage unit, might be a good time to change the fuel pump.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks for the information. I hope this is the case and I don't have to drop the gas tank.
My LD is a 2002 31B.

Mark
2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Mark

I have experienced the generator lean fuel problem! In order to remedy that it was necessary to lower the tank, and I'm glad I had help. During that event the entire fuel line from the gen. set to the tank was replaced with stainless steel line.   ;D 

The fuel tank was dropped a second time when the fuel pump quit out on the Interstate. Got towed 75 miles to a truck repair facility who did a replacement.

The tank was dropped a third time when the LD refused to start after an overnight stay at a campground. Once again it was the fuel pump to blame.

Coincidentally I also own a 2004 30'IB!  Just nit picking here but your 2002, if in the Island Bed configuration would also be properly referred to as an 30'IB   8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!