Skip to main content
Topic: Valve stem extenders vs TPMS (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic
Valve stem extenders vs TPMS
On our 2015 27MB we have the valve extenders from The Tireman and am considering  adding the EEZRV TPMS system. In their installation video they show removing the valve stem extenders on their demonstration rig. My question is, with the sensor added to the end of the valve stem extender does this added weight cause enough increased flexion on the valve stem, particularly on the inner dual, to be a problem?  What has been your experience with this issue? Thanks for your thoughts.

Ian Walker
"Silver Fox", Seattle
2015 MB

Re: Valve stem extenders vs TPMS
Reply #1
My question is, with the sensor added to the end of the valve stem extender does this added weight cause enough increased flexion on the valve stem, particularly on the inner dual, to be a problem?  What has been your experience with this issue?
The brass stems are strong enough to handle the extra weight of the TPMS sensors.
We have use Tireman stems,  with the TPMS sensors, for going on five years with zero problems.
Do make sure to use the rubber grommets that come with the stem kit, to reduce flexing of the stems.

Now if you have rubber stems, that another situation, don't do it!

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
On our 2015 27MB we have the valve extenders from The Tireman and am considering  adding the EEZRV TPMS system. In their installation video they show removing the valve stem extenders on their demonstration rig.

Do you have valve stem extenders, or extended valve stems? The latter are fine with TPMS, the former I would not recommend.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
On our 2015 27MB we have the valve extenders from The Tireman and am considering  adding the EEZRV TPMS system. In their installation video they show removing the valve stem extenders on their demonstration rig. My question is, with the sensor added to the end of the valve stem extender does this added weight cause enough increased flexion on the valve stem, particularly on the inner dual, to be a problem?  What has been your experience with this issue? Thanks for your thoughts.

Ian Walker
"Silver Fox", Seattle

We had a TPMS on a extended valve stem without a donut and over 12,000 miles a small hole was worn into the stem from vibration against the rim. Ironically, the TPMS warned us of the decrease in pressure and we were able to quickly replace the valve stem in the next town. Checked stem on other side and it too showed ware so we wrapped stem with small piece of duct tape which prevented further ware. Not bad, since this happened in AK.
2015 MB

Reply #4
We had a TPMS on a extended valve stem without a donut and over 12,000 miles a small hole was worn into the stem from vibration against the rim. Ironically, the TPMS warned us of the decrease in pressure and we were able to quickly replace the valve stem in the next town. Checked stem on other side and it too showed ware so we wrapped stem with small piece of duct tape which prevented further ware. Not bad, since this happened in AK.

After the extended stems are installed, I place short lengths of clear plastic tubing over the stems, where they pass through the wheel covers.
The clear tubing provides protection from rubbing and possible damage to the stem, while being almost invisible.
Most home centers have a selection of various sizes of clear plastic tubing.
I started doing this to the old style extender hoses where they pass through the wheel cover.
The braided steel hose covers are very vulnerable to chaffing.

Larry

Larry

Reply #5
Larry, that is a great idea. 

FWIW, I too have the Tireman Brass Extenders and have had PressurePro TPMS sensors on them since November 2008, with no problems.

Ken F in OR
'08 MB

Reply #6
"Do make sure to use the rubber grommets that come with the stem kit, to reduce flexing of the stems."
----
Apparently, it's not uncommon for the rubber grommets (an essential "through the wheel hole" support for the long inside dual valve) to be left out when the long valves are installed. IMO, this is a result of a careless tire or automotive shop installer skimming quickly over the detailed instructions, or worse, not reading them at all, assuming that it's a no-brainer job. It isn't, but it's an easy job to screw up.

Installing the valves correctly is certainly not technically difficult, but the job has to be done in the order outlined in the directions, the nuts have to be torqued to spec, the valves need to be placed correctly in the wheels, and all the pieces in the kit have a purpose. The valve kits from Chuck Carvitto ("The Tireman") come with detailed, step-by-step instructions, and I would think that the Borg stems also provide a similar level of installation detail with their kit(s).

If an owner is not able to directly "supervise" an installation, s/he at least should read the installation instructions for understanding of hose the job needs to be done before taking the rig and valve kit to the shop, and check the installation before leaving the shop, making sure that the tech used all the parts (preferably in the right places!), that the valve nuts are torqued to spec, that the valves are positioned correctly and are not rubbing against a wheel hole, that the valve stem is not damaged or scored, etc.

I suggest RTFM carefully, and make sure that the tech does the same. Don't assume that the tech did the job right; check it.  (And, remove the wheel covers before going to the shop; replace them yourself. The older KIIs with the lug nut extenders are particularly prone to being screwed up by clueless removal and re-installation.)

I followed Larry's suggestion of cutting lengths of  3/8" ID vinyl tubing and slipping these over the stems (set #2); works swell.  ;)

As ever, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7

And, remove the wheel covers before going to the shop; replace them yourself. The older KIIs with the lug nut extenders are particularly prone to being screwed up by clueless removal and re-installation.

Definitely remove the chrome wheel covers before any tire tech or mechanic gets a chance to screw them up.
Replace them yourselves afterward and then thank Joan your covers are still intact.
Too many sets of wheel covers have been damaged or destroyed by improper removal.

Larry

Larry

Reply #8
Removing the wheel covers gets easy if you use the correct tool. The OEM tire wrench from Ford is a waste of time IMO and can quickly damage both the wheel cover and the paint on your rig.

I use a Tire Spoon that I purchased on eBay for less than $10 and it has made the wheel cover removal a lead cinch deal.

A nice pair of leather gloves, a rubber mallet and a Tire Spoon makes it an easy and painless job to remove and replace the decorative covers.

Removing and installing them yourself is a practical and wise piece of advice before the stem installation.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #9
Just a FYI (probably TMI; sorry!  ;) )on wheel cover differences between model years: The first link is the KII 8-hole wheel cover used in late 90s (can't say when it became standard on LDs) through 2006. These wheel covers attach with two lug nut extenders which thread onto the wheel lug; the two lug extenders which install/remove the cover are covered with removable acorn nut "caps", marked with a shallow groove for identification. This model wheel cover also requires a special tool to install or remove the wheel cover. The second link shows the 4-hole KII wheel cover used on models from 2006 to the present, AFAIK. This model wheel cover pops off/"snaps" on to the rim instead of being attached with threaded lugs, so the tools used for removal/installation are different. (I suspect that both types have their unique "PITA" quotient!)

http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/kit2_large.jpg

http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/images/kit_5_images/071005095028.JPG

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
The original solid stems were damaged by TPMS sensors on our rig because we didn't have and never thought of rubber stabilizers. Granted those sensors were heavier than the TPMS we use now. It caused the stems to break loose at the point where they enter the wheel. We replaced those failed stems with Borg solid stems with rubber stabilizers.

One additional note on the Borgs. In May of last year we had the tires replaced and the tech discovered the stems had been damaged by the edge of the chrome wheel cover. They were just a bit too close. I called Borg to order a new set and they were replaced for free. I didn't expect it given it was the result of a less than perfect install so that was a plus for Borg.

Jim

Reply #11

One additional note on the Borgs. In May of last year we had the tires replaced and the tech discovered the stems had been damaged by the edge of the chrome wheel cover.
You might want to invest in some clear plastic, 3/8" tubing. A foot of it will do.

Larry
Larry