Skip to main content
Topic: Tires (Read 679 times) previous topic - next topic
Tires
Hi everyone, I just got a new to me '88 LD- Her name will be Lazy Breeze.

I need to know what kind of air compressor is best to carry with me, so afraid of a blowout.

Re: Tires
Reply #1

I carry a Viar like this - VIAIR 300P Portable Compressor Amazon.com: VIAIR 300P Portable Compressor: Automotive

I check tires every morning before driving anywhere. When altitude changes tire pressure changes too. This compressor is good for adding air. In our last trip- over 16,000 miles, I had to add a couple of pounds of air on two occasions.

If I experience a blowout, I have a spare tire- no air compressor will fill a tire that has had a blowout. If you experience a puncture and a slow leak, a compressor can help you make it to a place where you can get a fix. Of course, if you are losing air at any appreciable rate, it is time to go to the spare. 

I carry Coach.net and/or AAA to assist me in changing a tire whenever feasible. 

The best way I have found to avoid sudden complete deflation- blowout- is to replace tires when more than 7 years old, and be obsessive about tire pressure.  There are many discussions within these and other RV forums on this subject. If your fear of a blowout is extreme, maybe an RV driving course would help your confidence in this area.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
While a reliable air compressor is invaluable, you may want to consider a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) to alleviate your concerns of a flat tire and to help keep an eye on your tires air pressure.

TPMS has been talked about lately so a quick search on the LDO forum or YouTube can give you some great insight.

As Paul mentioned, the Viair compressors are very useful and come in both 12 volt and 110 volt models. Off road enthusiasts love them. Small, compact units that store easily. Like Paul, I have Coach Net for road service. One of the best.

Congratulations on your new LD.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
I carry a small 12-volt compressor that has not been used in many years, it is for emergency use only.
The tires have a TPMS monitor that show the actual tire pressure.
The tires are run at 5-psi higher pressure than what the weight charts indicate.
Air is added only when they have lost 4 or 5 pounds. of air pressure.
The Michelins are a very air-tight tire and only need air added two or three times a year.
I always air up at a service station or at home, using a large compressor and have not needed to add air, while in a campground, in decades.

Before we had the TPMS, the tires were checked, with a digital air pressure gauge, each morning before hitting the road. While on the road, at rest stops, I would check the temperature of the tire using an infrared thermometer, looking for a tire running much hotter than the others, indicating a low tire.

Running a high quality tire and keeping the pressure in the right pressure range are the best practices you can do to prevent a blowout. Regular inspection of the tires, especially the sidewalls should be done.
Do have your RV weighted, preferably each tire individually, and then use the tire weight chart, in the LD Owner's Manual or at the tire manufacturer's website, to find the recommended pressure..

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
"Running a high quality tire and keeping the pressure in the right pressure range are the best practices you can do to prevent a blowout. Regular inspection of the tires, especially the sidewalls should be done."
----
Agreed. The biggest "tire killers" are underinflation and overloading; other issues can be running inappropriate size and/or load range tires (for most of our LDs: 225/75R/16E ), not being aware of issues, e.g., alignment, under/over inflation, indicated by tread wear patterns, and not replacing unsafe/aged out tires. As  Larry said, sidewall inspections, including the inner duals, need to be done regularly; on motorhomes, tire sidewalls are subject to far more stress (weight, heat) and "wear" more quickly than tread.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
An alternative to a compressor:

Power Tank - - Powertank.com

We've carried one of their RV systems since our LD was new and I've found it reliable and easy to use. It can sometimes be a bit tricky to find a gas supplier to refill it, but I have a known source near home and a fill lasts a long time, certainly long enough for a several month trip.

Terry
2003 26.5' RB
Gardnerville, NV
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #6
An alternative to a compressor:
Power Tank - - Powertank.com
We've carried one of their RV systems since our LD was new and I've found it reliable and easy to use. It can sometimes be a bit tricky to find a gas supplier to refill it, but I have a known source near home and a fill lasts a long time, certainly long enough for a several month trip.
Carried in our Jeep is a 10-lb CO2 tank kit, used to re-inflate the tires after a day of off roading.
It can inflate a low tire in moments or run a 1/2" air impact wrench, nice for changing flats.
The tank can be filled at a tavern supply or at many home brewing shop, as well as at industrial gas suppliers.
Your local welding shop should be able to tell you where it can be filled or they can send it out.
It cost about $15 to fill the 10-lb tank, done once or twice a year.
A full tank will re-inflate the Jeep's oversize tires 8-10 times and will do so many times faster than any 12-volt compressor.

Our CO2 system is from Poly Performance, bought over ten years ago.
POLY PERFORMANCE // Poly Performance CO2 Kit
They also sell the more expensive Power Tank products.
POLY PERFORMANCE // Powertank Package "C" CO2 Kit

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Another vote here for Viair. I got the RV model which seems to be a hundred bucks more than the one Paul linked to, hmmmm. I DO get multiple hoses for my hundy which are a must to reach the rear dually's when hooked up to the chassis battery.

I also use it to blow out the water lines with the hose attachment purchased from the M'ship. I attach it to the converter positive and negative nuts.. Not as refined as a compressor with a tank but except for the water inlet saga indicated elsewhere (my own stupidity) I have had nothing but success having a water system ready to go In the spring.

Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #8
I drove my brothers RV-C last summer to California from Idaho and back, when coming back I stopped and had a shop check the pressure.  I think the man resented a woman driving a RV, they charged me 10.00 I got down the road a had a blow out that is why I want to be prepared.

Brother is a seasoned RVer and tells me just to tap my tires and learn the sound.  That is to risky for me as I am traveling with my elderly mom and me, two women on the road.

Reply #9
Bree49,

RV tire's, like all tire's, have a limited life span. Most tire's on our "daily drivers" often wear past their usable tread within 6 years of use.

RV tire's will generally never wear past their usable tread in six years.

Regardless of the treads pristine appearance, the RV tires should be replaced with new tire's after 5 or 6 years. It's an inescapable fact and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

Tire manufactures place a DOT number on each tire. Check out this YouTube video for an explanation of the DOT's importance.

https://youtu.be/ngIK4dmTGic

It has been mentioned already that tire pressure plays a big part in tire care. The age of the tire is a critical piece of the tire's overall health.

It would be difficult to say what caused your blow out, but taking these simple precautions can go a long way toward avoiding another.

Enjoy your LD and your trips with your Mom.

Kent

Reply #10
I'm of a different opinion about tire age, worrying more about condition.

Our LD tires are now eight years old, still with good tread depth and showing no "age" signs, such as sidewall cracking. The LD is stored indoors where no direct sunlight reaches the tires and in an area where there is little air pollution with the ozone that damages tires. In addition we never drive over about 55mph and rarely in extreme heat. I'm careful to keep the tires properly inflated based on the motorhome weight.

Here is what Goodyear says:

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-replacement-guidelines.aspx

It's easy to imagine relatively new tires, perhaps of lower quality to begin with, that have been abused by lengthy storage, under-inflation, driving on rough terrain that risks sidewall damage, constant exposure to heat and ozone, needing early replacement or, worse, suffering a blowout. And well cared for older tires lasting beyond the 6 years often cited as an absolute replacement date. Any date like that is going to be a conservative average based on many examples, with some needing replacement early and some lasting longer.

Does it hurt to replace tires at six years? No and if that will bring some peace of mind, go for it. We got this current set early before a trip to Alaska to provide some greater margin against damage from road hazards. But I think tires can safely go longer provided they are carefully monitored for trouble signs and then replaced when those appear.

Having said that, we're heading off on a trip in two weeks which I've now probably jinxed. I can see myself with a blowout on a mountain road with nowhere to turn off, muttering "should have gotten new tires" over and over.

On the other hand I had an experience on a motorcycle tour a few years ago where I'd gone to my favorite shop at the start of the trip to have new tires installed and by the time I stopped for lunch a few hours later, perhaps 100 miles down the road, had a flat due to a nail picked up along the way. Generally speaking shops won't repair motorcycle tires, so that was an expensive 3 tire day.

Terry
2003 26.5' RB
Gardnerville, NV

Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #11
And having a blowout
I'm of a different opinion about tire age, worrying more about condition.

Our LD tires are now eight years old, still with good tread depth and showing no "age" signs, such as sidewall cracking. The LD is stored indoors where no direct sunlight reaches the tires and in an area where there is little air pollution with the ozone that damages tires. In addition we never drive over about 55mph and rarely in extreme heat. I'm careful to keep the tires properly inflated based on the motorhome weight.

Here is what Goodyear says:

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-replacement-guidelines.aspx

It's easy to imagine relatively new tires, perhaps of lower quality to begin with, that have been abused by lengthy storage, under-inflation, driving on rough terrain that risks sidewall damage, constant exposure to heat and ozone, needing early replacement or, worse, suffering a blowout. And well cared for older tires lasting beyond the 6 years often cited as an absolute replacement date. Any date like that is going to be a conservative average based on many examples, with some needing replacement early and some lasting longer.

Does it hurt to replace tires at six years? No and if that will bring some peace of mind, go for it. We got this current set early before a trip to Alaska to provide some greater margin against damage from road hazards. But I think tires can safely go longer provided they are carefully monitored for trouble signs and then replaced when those appear.

Having said that, we're heading off on a trip in two weeks which I've now probably jinxed. I can see myself with a blowout on a mountain road with nowhere to turn off, muttering "should have gotten new tires" over and over.

On the other hand I had an experience on a motorcycle tour a few years ago where I'd gone to my favorite shop at the start of the trip to have new tires installed at and by the time I stopped for lunch a few hours later, perhaps 100 miles down the road, had a flat due to a nail picked up along the way. Generally speaking shops won't repair motorcycle tires, so that was an expensive 3 tire day.

Terry
2003 26.5' RB
Gardnerville, NV

And having a blowout on a bike is not much fun, either!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
I feel some of the Goodyear 'advice' is dangerous if taken at face value - the indications of when to replace are for a tire that should have hit the dump wayyy before! But one quote from there is vital, and applies to RVs particularly:

"Usage per year --More frequent usage will result in longer life"

The tire rubber will suffer from idleness, and may not show typical signs of impending doom, such as deep cracks, etc. Tires are designed to be driven, and treadwear is not an indicator of tire condition. We have had blowouts on two occasions, and although the tires were older than 5 years, they showed NO signs of distress at the time.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
"I feel some of the Goodyear 'advice' is dangerous if taken at face value - the indications of when to replace are for a tire that should have hit the dump wayyy before!"
---
I agree, and Goodyear isn't alone in this; Michelin (and perhaps other manufacturers) offer similar tire replacement schedule information:

Do I need new tires? | When to change tires | Michelin US

IMO, a problem with this type of "when to replace" information is the risk that consumers will fail to read the entire set of caveats (and manufacturers' "weasel words") and cherry-pick the numbers they want, i.e., this statement from Michelin:

"If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator."

That 10-year number pops right out, and, through an "interpretation twist" from a hasty read, may offer a false sense of confidence : "Hey, see? Michelin says that its tires last 10 years!"  :o

Additionally, the "when to replace RV tires" (or any tires, but the timing is more critical with RV tires) information is based on optimal conditions, and, in my experience, many, if not most, RV tires don't live under optimal conditions in use and/or care. Overloaded and/or underinflated tires, tires that are inappropriate for the application, tires that were "old" when installed as "new", tires that are exposed consistently to the sun, or road salt, and/or pollutants in the air, tires that wear unevenly because of mis-alignment, tires that show obvious potential safety issues, e.g., bulges, cracking, alligatoring, cuts and gouges, tires that are slathered with "treatments" containing petroleum distillates, e.g. Armor All, tires that sit for months and "flat spot", the inside duals, particularly the sidewalls, that are rarely, if ever, checked......... All of these conditions (and several more) will greatly shorten the life of even the highest quality tire.

I don't believe that a fixed, arbitrary number of years of tire "safe use before replacement" exists; every situation is different and every situation contains a lot of use and care variables. Some may get 7 years or so out of a set of tires, some may get 3, 4 or 5. (I check my tires frequently, but start looking especially critically at their condition at about 4 years.)  But, IMO, if one expects 10 years of safe life out of RV tires, their thinking is guided by unicorns and rainbows rather than reality.

As always, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
It has been my experience that Michelin's do not hold up as well as Goodyear's. Far more sidewall checking and one blowout induced me to switch brands. Tireman's recommendation had a big influence as well.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #15
I have to agree with being  conservative when it comes to tires. When we bought our 2007 model trailer in 2014, it still had the original tires from when it was manufactured in 2006. The tires looked great but we ended up making the trailer purchase at the Big O tire store in Sonora where we replaced all four tires, and the spare, since we were a 5 hour drive back home.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
"start looking especially critically at their condition at about 4 years"

Our 2005 RB was purchased in 2009 with 7K miles on it, and had been stored indoors when not in use.  We changed out the tires almost immediately.

Fast forward to the end of 2015.  With an additional 7K miles (now 14K) miles on the rig/tires, we changed them out again.  The rig is stored under cover when not in use, with the front tires covered because at times during the day, the sun shines on them a bit.  Nearly the whole of the unit is in shade all day long because there are rigs on either side of us under the covered storage.  Just the windshield and the front tires peek out a bit.

There are so many parts on an RV that need to be considered as vital, but tires are easily inspected.  I am not a risk taker, so suspect tires are jettisoned.  I'm sure our tires have hit the retread pile and someone else is riding on them, but I don't want it to be me.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #17
The critical element of your RV tire's is safety. Is there a price that can be put on the safety of ones family? Not likely.

A full set of RV tire's may seem expensive at nearly $1600 (including that spare that may be ignored until it's needed). But with an estimated 5 year life span that is only $320 per year or around $25 per month. Seems a fair price for ones safe travels.

If one decides to push the RV tire's life to 6 years, you've gained a few bucks push them to 7 years you've gained a few more. Just sayin'

Doing the math on the cost of safely taking our loved ones to the mountains doesn't add up at any cost. New tire's is cheap insurance.

Sticking $20 a month in the bank for 5 years will get you nearly the cost of a brand new set of RV tire's.

That's where I'm at. The LD gets a new set of shoes every 5 years and she'll be riding high all the way to the hills. Will I get a blow out? Perhaps, but not because the tire's aged out.

My 2 cents. Money in the bank.

Kent

Reply #18
I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything, just providing food for thought.

My research says that these "tire age" criteria have changed over time, from just a year or two back in the early days of balloon tires to as many as 10 now. Why? Because tires have gotten better and perhaps because people abuse them less, what with TPMS, more knowledge, better driver education, etc. But mostly better tires.

Here is a link that is quite thorough about tires, including RV tires, from the Rubber Manufacturers Association, dated April, 2011.

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/complete-manual.pdf

Note page 58 in the RV section, where it says,

"Tire Service Life is Not Determined by Chronological Age . . . RMA is not aware of scientific or technical data that establishes or identifies a specific minimum or maximum service life for passenger and light truck tires. However, in some cases a tire or vehicle manufacturer may make a specific tire replacement recommendation regarding its products. If so, the consumer should consult the manufacturer with any questions with regard to following the recommendation. Further, any such recommendation should not be considered a minimum service life for the tire."

Then, since I have Michelin tires, go to the Michelin TSB "Service Life for RV/Motorhome Tires," May 15, 2006,

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bcontent/PDF/3_TB_Service_Life_RV_Motorhome.pdf

which recommends good maintenance and regular inspection as the key to tire safety but goes on to say,

"While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit."

Putting all this together it tells me that if my Michelin tires have been properly maintained and show none of the common danger signs, one could safely use them for 10 years, probably longer but Michelin has chosen to stick with 10 years as a "simple precaution."

Replacing them earlier is fine.

But the real message in all this is to maintain your tires properly and inspect them regularly and rely on what those inspections tell you instead of their age. Something that applies well to every aspect of our motorhomes.

I'm sure there is contrary information out there. If so, read it and make up your own mind. I'm just trying to provide some pushback to the "campfire wisdom" that says go out and spend $1500 on new tires every 5 or 6 years whether you need them or not. If you want to know if you need new tires, inspect them, or have a tire expert do that for you.

And if nothing else, please don't assume that because your tires are "young" they're safe.

Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #19
$10 rp air up?! Outrageous indeed! The big tire chains have always checked and aired up tires for mo without charge. Also done other helpful things to the point that I give them $10 towards lunch pizza.

With that experience it is easy to see why you want to be self reliant. And well informed.

If your brother relies on tire thump tones to check air he may be more pitch perfect than I. The air check each morning is part of my pre-drive ritual that gets me focused. I sure like the idea of TPMS on my two other modern vehicles, but they also usually give false readings. I also double check those.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #20
A few years ago I saw a RV that had blown a rear tire and the steel belted casing whipped around on the wheel and trashed the back fender area and surrounding fiberglass adjacent to the wheel well.  That repair had to cost a lot more than a new set of tires, not to mention the inconvenience of the blow out and interruption of the trip.

When tires are parked for extended periods of time, like RV and trailer tires, they weaken on the bottom part of the tire.  I end up replacing relatively new tires (3 to 4 years) every year on our 3 axle 10000lb boat trailer and I suspect it is because they don't move every day like most car tires do. RV tires may suffer the same fate.

When my truck tires hit the 6  year mark, I watch them carefully and if I have any reasonable concerns (cracks, bulging, uneven tread wear), just bite the bullet and get new tires.

I agree with Kent here.

HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #21
"If your brother relies on tire thump tones to check air he may be more pitch perfect than I."
----
A "tire thump" tells the "thumper" only that one or more tires sound different from the others, and indicates that pressure and condition checks should be done. And, depending on what the "thumper" uses to whack the tire(s), and where the tire is "whacked", the resulting sounds can be misleading. I suggest that one might want to cut to the chase and use a high quality tire pressure gauge (on cold tires) and a thorough visual inspection of the affected tire(s) to determine if a problem exists.

YMMV, again.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
As usual Joan has taken the subject down to it's last inch!

And while we are on topic, does anyone have need of a tire thumper? Nearly brand new condition, only thumped one or two tires and then put away, out of sight and unused for 13 long years. Free for shipping!  ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #23
Thank you for your attention and great advice.  I think I may buy the tire thumper, he might sell it faster on craigslist.

Reply #24
Another vote here for Viair. I got the RV model which seems to be a hundred bucks more than the one Paul linked to, hmmmm. I DO get multiple hoses for my hundy which are a must to reach the rear dually's when hooked up to the chassis battery.

I also use it to blow out the water lines with the hose attachment purchased from the M'ship. I attach it to the converter positive and negative nuts.. Not as refined as a compressor with a tank but except for the water inlet saga indicated elsewhere (my own stupidity) I have had nothing but success having a water system ready to go In the spring.

Dave

Dave,

I just got the 400P-RV and want to use for winterizing as well.  How did you keep the pressure below the 50 recommended by the mothership so you don't blow the lines?    I think I may have to buy a separate regulator?

John

2003 Lazy Daze 26.5 MidBath
Professional Virtual Tour Photographers