Skip to main content
Topic: edging repair w/o screws... (Read 229 times) previous topic - next topic
edging repair w/o screws...
When the vertical corner flashing behind the driver's door had started coming loose from the front side, where I wouldn't want to mar the surface by adding screws to hold while the polyurethane sealant dries (several days), and did not want to leave the rig unlocked, I devised this simple method of applying pressure to the flashing. I used thin, flexible strips of hardwood, and a piece of nylon strap knotted, with the door closed and locked on it. Sufficient pressure is thus applied to compress the flashing to the side:

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: edging repair w/o screws...
Reply #1
Clever, Steve! I just "marred" my front edge cap repair with SS screws.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
"...flexible strips of hardwood, and a piece of nylon strap knotted..."

Now that's what I'd call outside the box thinking, doubt if I'd ever imagineer something like that!   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Many times the caps can be wedged into position, during the adhesive cure, but there are situations where the caps cannot be forced or clamped into position without using screws.
If the cap does not sit correctly or clamped  screws are needed to pull it into position.
During construction, when LD is confronted with the same situation, they too use screws.
I use #8 Stainless steel screws,  pre-drilling the holes in the caps slightly bigger than the diameter of the screws, to prevent cracking of the caps.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze