Skip to main content
Topic: Spare wheel for 89 LD (Read 138 times) previous topic - next topic
Spare wheel for 89 LD
I am putting on new tires today on my 89 LD but overlooked checking the spare tire compartment when I purchased the rig. So today when I open it, no spare.  So I am now on the hunt for a spare wheel and want to make sure I get the correct wheel for the spare that will go on front or the back in case of a flat since the fronts are DRW. Tires are Firestones 16.5 /8.75.  So the manual state wheels either 16.5/6 or 16.5/6.5.  Does it matter if I get the 6 or the 6.5 with the 8.75 tires.  Also does the spare wheel look like the picture below since wheels on the LD look totally different. 

Thanks,this is all new to me so am lost on the correct look of the spare wheel.

1989 22'

Re: Spare wheel for 89 LD
Reply #2
Duro,

Thanks for the pic. found out that the DRW wheel just gets reverse depending if it is mounted on the front or back, that why the wheels looked different on the LD.

Hank
1989 22'

Reply #3
I am putting on new tires today on my 89 LD but overlooked checking the spare tire compartment when I purchased the rig. So today when I open it, no spare.  So I am now on the hunt for a spare wheel and want to make sure I get the correct wheel for the spare that will go on front or the back in case of a flat since the fronts are DRW. Tires are Firestones 16.5 /8.75.  So the manual state wheels either 16.5/6 or 16.5/6.5.  Does it matter if I get the 6 or the 6.5 with the 8.75 tires.  Also does the spare wheel look like the picture below since wheels on the LD look totally different. 

Thanks,this is all new to me so am lost on the correct look of the spare wheel.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I am putting on new tires today on my 89 LD but overlooked checking the spare tire compartment when I purchased the rig. So today when I open it, no spare.  So I am now on the hunt for a spare wheel and want to make sure I get the correct wheel for the spare that will go on front or the back in case of a flat since the fronts are DRW. Tires are Firestones 16.5 /8.75.  So the manual state wheels either 16.5/6 or 16.5/6.5.  Does it matter if I get the 6 or the 6.5 with the 8.75 tires.  A
I suggest going to a truck tire store and having them match your wheel.
Duals need to have specified clearance between them to allow cooling air to circulate around the tires.
If the gap is too small, the tires can actually touch each other at times.
The small gap and/or touching leads to overheating and a possible blowout.
This serious and should be taken care of.

There should be a code inside the wheels that indicates the diameter, width and offset.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze