Skip to main content
Topic: Updated the Trim on the Dinette Seats  (Read 265 times) previous topic - next topic
Updated the Trim on the Dinette Seats
Sometime last year, we visited with a LD owner who had an early 2000's 26.5'.  The top of the their seat frame at the dinette table had a very nice vinyl covering which was carried over to the edge support piece for the seat cushions.  Turns out, that was how LD made the the dinette benches before changing to a fabric.

Our fabric is a loose knit material which easily snags and in a MB, catches every hand going in & out the door.  Let's just say ... nasty and a bad idea IMHO.  The early LD's with the vinyl covering is better.

So on Sunday, we removed the top and side trim pieces.  Btw, those pieces are attached to the frame so strongly that they would survive a tornado!   Then we spent a couple of hours removing an estimated 350 staples from that nasty material.  Next Margee (DW) stapled a high quality piece of charcoal gray vinyl to each of the four (4) pieces.

Turned out so lovely!  Just made both of grim.  We've attached a photo of the finished project.  (Now we will allow our fingers and palms to heal for a few days!  We hate staples.)

Re: Updated the Trim on the Dinette Seats
Reply #1
I could not figure out the side trim pieces were attached. I'll drop by so you can show me.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
That looks so nice! Good work, an inspiration. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #3
That DOES look really good.  My fabric is also showing wear.  I was planning to do something similar but have not, as yet, figured out how to remove and replace the seat top trim pieces.  I think it would be great if you told us the details of getting them off and back on.

Nice job, folks.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #4
That DOES look really good.  My fabric is also showing wear.  I was planning to do something similar but have not, as yet, figured out how to remove and replace the seat top trim pieces.  I think it would be great if you told us the details of getting them off and back on.

Certainly and my pleasure. 

The Bottom Seat Trim Pieces  The short MB bench has three (3) External Hex Flange screws which require a 1/4" socket to remove.   On the MB, open the door to the cabinet and look at the upper part of the door frame and you'll find the screws.  These screws came out easily.

The longer bench requires that you remove the seat cushion and the removeable board for access to the basement.  Then look inside the basement storage and you'll find three (3) 3" Hex Flange screws on the top of the framing underneath the seat trim.  These screws are countersunk and took some work to remove with a 1/4" socket. 

Back Cushion Top Trim  The short bench requires that you remove both cushions and look directly below the Top Trim piece and there are 4-5 Hex Flange screws that are also countersunk.  That same 1/4" socket with a bit of muscle will get those out.  Btw, a drill with a 1/4" socket would probably work with a long enough extension.  The screws are set very close to the back of the framing.

The longer bench in the MB has some internal aluminum framing.  So again, remove the back cushion and look directly below the trim and there are 5 Phillip head screws in the aluminum framing which came out easily with a power drill.

The material covering these trim pieces are stapled with 100's of staples.  In fact, the ends of the smaller seat trim pieces might have had 10 staples on each end.  So with a sharpened, thin flat-head screwdriver and pliers, we attacked the 300-350 staples.  It took us at least three (3) hours to remove all those staples.  The underlying foam pieces were in very good condition so we left that part along (thank goodness).

DW used the original material as a pattern for the replacement pieces and added an inch or so.  She trimmed the excess once the new vinyl was stapled into place.   On some pieces, she pulled and stretched the new covering while directing me where to staple.  On the smaller pieces she didn't need my help.  So Margee used her sewing and craft skills to make the seatback trim ends smooth and round.  On the shorter trim pieces, it's important to keep the material from bunching because the finished piece will not fit into the fixed space if it's all bunched and gathered.

And there you go.  I hope this helps a bit.

Reply #5
Very nice, Ed & Margee

TinaP
2006 MB "Wild Thing"....recovering from the latest snowstorm and awaiting the next! 
2006 MB

Reply #6
Really, really nice job. Looks great! I'm sure that project will be somewhere in our future.
Jean Muir

The Silver Fox
2015 MB

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

---
2015 MB