Skip to main content
Topic: Ability to use freezer without propane while driving. (Read 326 times) previous topic - next topic
Ability to use freezer without propane while driving.
When we travel we do not have our propane on for the frig due to safety reason. The frig pretty much keep food cold due to not opening frig.  What do you all do  for food that is in your freezer?  I have never used freezer because we turn off propane while driving.  I know this may be a stupid question but I just want to know what you all do ?  Thanks  ::)  ::)
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Re: Ability to use freezer without propane while driving.
Reply #1

That is easy. First you need to know the temperature of the freezer.

Amazon.com: AcuRite 00986A2 Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer...

You will find that the freezer doesn't get above freezing even when off but you need to know what it is.

If you want to run it while traveling then you need to get a 300 watt inverter, plug the fridge into the inverter and connect the inverter to the DC power source going to the refrigerator.

You will need to turn the inverter or refrigerator off when stopped. The power drain will kill your batteries pretty fast. What you really need is a 3-way fridge. Too late for that.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #2
Some have hard wired inverters and transfer switches, enabling them to run a the refrigerator on 120VAC,  when driving.
Here are some photos of how ours was wired.
Inverter installation | Flickr
It was wired so the refrigerator's circuit is automatically transferred to the inverter's output, whenever the inverter was producing 120-VAC.

We stopped using it years ago, after the inverter died, on a long drive. Killed the coach battery once too, after forgetting to turn the inverter off. It didn't save any noticeable propane and I'm willing to accept the risks of driving, with the propane on.

To prevent killing the battery, when the engine isn't running, use a relay to control the inverter. The relay could be powered by the engine's alternator, allowing the inverter to operate only when alternator power is available.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
There is a certain amount of risk involved with many things we do in our daily lives.

It's a long list: "Do I text while driving"?
                        "Should I brush between each meal"?
                        "Should I look both ways before crossing the street"?
                        "Can I get away with an extra slice of pizza"?

Live a little. Take some risks. Who's watching anyway?

Personally, I drive without the propane on. I've mentioned before that I drive for up to six hours with the fridge off. Then I fire up the generator and then turn on the fridge. I run like that for a couple of hours and then shut everything down again.

I've done this on the last few long trips and when I reach the end of the road the ice cream is still frozen and the beer is still ice cold. For me, it is a perfect compromise. I eliminate a perceived risk, save a little propane and burn a little extra gas. I'm ok with that.

Of course if you are sans generator, this won't work for you. Not much to be done.

Thats just me...sippin' a cold Bud in the Valley after a long days drive. Hmmm...ice cream anyone?

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #5
" What do you all do  for food that is in your freezer?  I have never used freezer because we turn off propane while driving"

I also turn off the propane most of the time while driving.  I keep my freezer full which I believe is the key for keeping the food frozen.  My ice cream and other foods are still frozen at the end of a long drive.  If my freezer is getting low on food and I haven't replenished it yet, I freeze bowls of water before the trip and this  helps fill up the freezer and keep it cold. 

Monica
Monica
2017 MB

Reply #6
Turning off the propane at the tank would reduce the risk of fire in an accident, but just turning off the fridge will do little. We live with the small risk of driving with propane on so we can leave the fridge cooling enroute, since I more worry about spoilage, particularly on long trips. For ferry crossings of course, propane must be off, so for long passages (e.g. 8 hours), we first add frozen ice-packs to the fridge, and empty the freezer of food ahead of time.

An option for that would be to rig up an inverter to power the fridge. If temps are mild and the fridge already cold, then assuming a 30A draw 50% of the time, the battery depletion in 8 hours would be 15 X 8 = 120 A-hrs. You don't want to draw down below 50% every day, but for the rare occasion it is doable.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
We use  Blue cooler packs or something similar which we keep in the freezer.  We do drive with the propain on and the refrigerator on also, but many times when we stop in a place out of level for a long time,  we then shut down the refrigerator and we move some of the blue cooler packs into the refrigerator to keep things cool, this works for hours and could be done while driving.  The trick is to leave the door closed and use a wired or wireless thermometer to monitor temps inside.  These cooler packs could also be used to top off the freezer to help maintain temperature and if there is not enough room for all of them the extras could be stored for later use.

Karen ~ Liam
        98 ~ MB

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags