Skip to main content
Topic: Bumper cover paint  (Read 222 times) previous topic - next topic
Bumper cover paint
My bumper cover was pretty faded and down right ugly. I was to lazy to take it off. So I scrubbed it with acetone and carefully masked it off. It was light grey but is charcoal grey now. Three coats of bumper paint. Looks much better.
Lynn and Lori

Re: Bumper cover paint
Reply #1
"My bumper cover was pretty faded and down right ugly. I was to lazy to take it off. So I scrubbed it with acetone and carefully masked it off. It was light grey but is charcoal grey now. Three coats of bumper paint. Looks much better."

I was looking at mine yesterday thinking how badly it needed some attention.  I see now it doesn't have to be a major production.  Yours looks great! 
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #2

For years, I have used Mother's Back to Black treatment on the front bumper and mirrors.
Amazon.com: Mothers 06112 Back-to-Black Plastic and Trim Restorer - 12 oz.:...
A couple months ago, the LD's bumper was looking sad, so I applied the usuall Back to Black and the results were dismal.
The color was uneven and very light with visible drip lines, the treatment had lost its mojo.

Checking the shelves at Pep Boys, I discovered Mother's Back to Black Heavy Duty Cleaner.
Amazon.com: Mothers 06141 Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner Kit: Automotive
Not wanting to paint the bumper, adding another maintenance item, I decided to give the cleaner a try.
The cleaner comes with a plastic brush, for scrubbing, that was near worthless.  Next a 3M kitchen scrub pad was tried and it started producing results. Repeated soaking and scrubbing removed oxidized layers of plastic, the residual liquid being very milky.
Eventually, the residual liquid was clearer and the old surface was exposed. After washing and drying, it was given a fresh coat of Back to Black, bringing the bumper's color back to a near stock look. Good enough for a fourteen year old LD.
It will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Our 2003 LD's  front bumper valance, the charcoal colored piece below the chrome bumper, started looking silvery a few years ago. It was looking so nasty, and i really stink at spray painting, that I was thinking of ordering a new one. You can get a new valance panel from Rock Auto fairly inexpsively.

After seeing infomercials for Rust-oleum's Wipe New trim restorer and reading the reviews on Amazon,  I decided to try that. So glad I did. This stuff really works!

The process is easy and fast; no worry about masking off areas to prevent overspray. My biggest challenge was keeping it dry overnight because we get heavy dew.  I used it in July and 6 months later it showed no signs of deterioration.

I think if your valance looks bad dry, but good when wet, give Wipe New a try. Cheap and easy solution that made a big difference in how our 14 year old rig looks!

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #4
Yea I had tried the restorer products with dismal results. Maybe because the prior owner had ran a power polisher over the plastic leaving swirl marks. Those products would make it look a little better but the marks were still visible. The whole paint job took about a hour to do including drying time between coats. Only cost $7.99 for the paint and I had other materials (masking and acetone) in the garage. The paint covered all the swirl marks so it looks like new now. My plan had been to just buy a new cover but this was much easier to do.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #5
I tried Wipe New on my striping and decals, the only place where my fading on my '08 is bad.  Right after application it looked like new.  Two months later, it looked as if I had done nothing.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #6
I tried Wipe New on my striping and decals, the only place where my fading on my '08 is bad.  Right after application it looked like new.  Two months later, it looked as if I had done nothing.

Ken F in NM

I sure wish there was something that worked well on the striping and decals. I have tried different things but nothing seems to work for more than a short time.
Lynn and Lori