Skip to main content
Topic: Unusual RV (Read 8575 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Unusual RV
Reply #50
Ah, yes. 395 in August in a Type II, no AC, and two wilting kids. Family moments, indeed!  😅  — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #52
Like wow man.   That is really far out!  I, (inhale controled substance smoke) like, (pause.....ok longish pause ... exhale) really think the art work is groovy. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #53
Like wow man.   That is really far out!  I, (inhale controled substance smoke) like, (pause.....ok longish pause ... exhale) really think the art work is groovy. 

Not sure inhaling/exhaling would be necessary--It looks like secondary environmental exposure would be adequate to produce a nicely mellowed altered state...   :D

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #54
That appears to be a modern riff on the classic Gypsy, or Rom, roulotte. Note the panel on the door with the caption “Old Skool”, showing a caricature of a gypsy wagon. The items inside are quite diverse and interesting. There may be no alternative substance involved in the decor, just an alternative full timing culture. The setting one can only guess at. Germany or Central Europe maybe?
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #55
I believe the photo was taken in Germany... type of architecture of background building, iron fence, cobblestone streets, etc.

Wonder what it weighs? Iron wood stove just inside driver's side doors with what appears to be a cast iron tea kettle thereupon. And why the ladder on the 'front' of the FaVee.

I'd sure like to see the inscription on the driver's door!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #57
Quote from: Lazy Bones date=1511746186 link=msg=181159 I'd sure like to see the inscription on the driver's door!  ::) [/quote
)

Ask and you shall receive.

Hi, I'm Jo!
My little red wagon is a 1997 23.5 TK

Reply #58
I like the front bumper accessories.  Ladder for roof access, and a bottle opener for when you're face-down in the gutter, and can only reach up 12" to open your next one.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #59
"Ask and you shall receive."

Thanks, and after due consideration, and an apparent vocation (Tattoos) I'd be inclined to think the owner of this vehicle is Romanish himself!

While stationed in Germany I had a young Airman working for me who loved to visit unusual places and events, i.e. The Sewers of Paris, The Highland Games in Scotland, and a Gypsy Convention in the south of France. He described the many vehicles in which the revelers arrived, anything from the traditional wagon to Cadillac's and Mercedes, as well as horseback.
 ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #60
Another VW
Lynn and Lori

Reply #62
I'm beginning to think that these vehicles are just using the 'nose' from a VW, and the rest of the chassis is a truck chassis of some sort. Ground clearance did look poor. I would also expect some type of lift mechanism/ air springs to be involved. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #63
The window and door locations, interior to exterior, do not match... what's up with that?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #64
I'm beginning to think that these vehicles are just using the 'nose' from a VW, and the rest of the chassis is a truck chassis of some sort. Ground clearance did look poor. I would also expect some type of lift mechanism/ air springs to be involved. RonB

Most likely these VW based campers were built for show only, the buses barely had enough power to move themselves.
The suspension could never handle the huge, added weights, unless built on a truck frame. The front suspension would collapse.
These were very lightweight, underpowered  vehicles.
Maybe one of our talented Photoshop operators will graft a VW bus nose on a LD.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #65
Yeah, the blue VW inside and outside are not the same vehicle.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #66
"The window and door locations, interior to exterior, do not match"

Good catch! Yes, the interior photo is of an Airstream trailer.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #67
"Steam punk VW.  I like it."

Me too, first thing I thought of. 

Lots of things going on with that rig, very interesting.  Besides the bottle opener on the front bumper that Chip noticed, I like the Area 51 sign on the roof rack above the driver's side windshield, and the 8 ball 'stuck' in the passenger side window. It appears Bert does 'vehicle tattoos' among other things, which likely explains the work on the inside door panels and rear panels on each side. The two signs that are visible in the second picture are both in English, so somewhere in the UK perhaps? 

Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #68
I can't even imagine how this thing might handle in windy conditions.

Hi, I'm Jo!
My little red wagon is a 1997 23.5 TK

Reply #69
I can't even imagine how this thing might handle in windy conditions.

I've seen those amphibious Duck vehicles down at Branson...maybe this takes to the air--though I'd tend to stay away from cliffs, lest the Fates be tempted for an unplanned Thelma & Louise incident.

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #70
So that truck camper also has a trailer hitch.  I think we're seeing just the tip of the iceberg here.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #71
We saw this one today at the local truck stop. It was pulling out, so I chased it, and Kathy got a couple of quick shots. He probably thought our black suv was the feds coming after him. It seemed to have plenty of power.
Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD

Reply #72
Wow!  That sure hangs a long way past the rear axle.  They could make a left turn from the left turn lane and take out a car in the next lane over waiting to go straight!

No thanks.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #73
I thought it might be the body of a Class A on an extended semi tractor frame. It has huge fuel tanks and yes, a bit of rear overhang...plus the tow vehicle. Oh and the scooter on the front. I wish I could have talked with him.

Larry
Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD

Reply #74
Lol a little top heavy
Lynn and Lori