Skip to main content
Topic: Tragic RV Crash (Read 283 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tragic RV Crash
Reply #1
Very sad. Never good to hear about those kinds of things. Prayers to those involved, and the families.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
Slow it down. It's simply safer for everyone on the road.
A blow out at 55 is more manageable than one at 70.
An interesting article about driving speed vs time saved.
In a nut shell, driving fast saves little, or no time.

Does Speeding Really Get You There Any Faster?

Ed

Reply #3
I definitely agree with Ed's admonition to slow down! Driving a big, heavy vehicle at high speeds greatly reduces the ability to maneuver, control, and stop in an emergency situation.

In this particular case, the apparent cause of the crash was a blown tire; excessive speed wasn't mentioned (at least in the linked article.) This "blown tire" video from Michelin tire may be very enlightening:

How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
"driving speed vs time saved"

Back in the days when my wife rode her own motorcycle we were on a tour together, riding south along the central Oregon coast, an area that often has awful traffic lined up on 101, as it did that day. We used to describe my wife's pace, and ours together when I was behaving sensibly and following her preferences, as "speed limit touring." She was most comfortable riding at whatever speed the highway signs suggested, the overall limit or those warning signs for appropriate speeds in turns.

On this particular day I quickly grew frustrated with the traffic and started passing everyone ahead of me, easy to do on a bike. After a half hour or so of this I started to consider that I was leaving my bride behind. Not nice. So I pulled over in a parking lot where she could easily see me and stopped. By the time I got the bike on its side stand, dismounted and removed my helmet, there she was, rolling in beside me. All my hurrying had gained me essentially nothing.

My riding buddy always refers to this phenomenon by saying "It's not speed but time in the saddle that determines how soon you arrive." If you're in a hurry the best thing to do is just reduce the breaks and distractions and keep driving, as opposed to speeding up. Yes, you can gain a bit of time by driving fast, but not much. And it's not worth the added stress.

Now it is speed limit touring almost all the time, certainly in the LD, though our LD pace is rarely over 55mph even when the limit is higher. And yes, we pull over when possible to let those in a hurry pass, often seeing them again not too far down the road.

Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #5
I've never understood why it's so important to get to the next stoplight first.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
In my younger days at the plant, a Commercial Printer in Los Alamitos, I drove a lot. Thousands of miles on the road often playing Beat The Clock. Driving everything from vans, pickups and bobtail trucks. From Bakersfield to Phoenix.

One day I thought I'd try something different. Now, I wasn't prone to driving recklessly, rashly, over the given speed limit or against the given road conditions and traffic saturation, but on this day I wanted to answer my own question. " What do I gain in time by driving through and around traffic instead of with the flow"?

I drove from Los Alamitos to LA as aggressively as practical and clocked my time. Following the same route back to the plant, I eased my way along taking my own sweet time. No stress, no major lane changes, no mad dash to beat the clock.

The results were as I expected. My mad rush to LA gained me a three minute advantage over my leasurly drive back.

My question was answered. My hypothesis was proven. I've never been one to fly through traffic and now I have Science to back myself up.

That being said, this tragic event as noted above, is a very sad event and my heart goes out to all those concerned.

Just sayin'

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #7
This happened today in our neck of the woods, on the westbound 58 downhill grade between Tehachapi and Bakersfield. It happens frequently but it's usually a semi wreck, not a RV.  Speed usually plays a part.

And I won't mention the occasional train derailment on the Tehachapi Loop which runs adjacent to Hwy 58.  Oops, I just did!
Tehachapi Loop scene of train derailment | News | tehachapinews.com
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264