Skip to main content
Topic: Non-member Classified Listings - 2017 (Read 15107 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Non-member Classified Listings
Reply #400
I spoke to the dealership, and If I was to buy from a dealership I do think this is  a good one. The salesperson was very helpful and forthcoming, however not very familiar with Lazy Daze.  The coach was a trade-in on a car, and it is a car dealership.

The Dealership did send me the carfax, and it's a  one owner California based coach.

I was told the previous owner had the coach repainted. (?) However there are not records or any service records available as the previous owner misplaced them all as they recently moved from Northern California to Southern California. Also the tires were just replaced with to me a off brand I would have to check out.  Any one familiar with  Westlake sl369 all terrain tires?

I think I am going to pass, only because it is also for sale as a "buy it now" on Ebay.

My next step would have been to have a pre purchase mechanical inspection done. Without service records I feel that this would be doubly important to do, even before I drove from northern Nevada to see the unit.  The sales person did say their independent inspection and dealership inspection both checked out fine.

However it is a  eight hour drive from here, and I worry if someone hits buy it now on e-bay after I pay for an inspection, booked a motel I'll be one sad panda haha

I do think it looks good on paper, and I wish I was able to bring myself to just buy it now myself, as I'm tire of looking!

Reply #401
Kay,
I would definitely be leery. For one the reason for the repaint and secondly no records. If you are interested I would talk with the owner (they should let you if there is nothing to hide). Also, you can make a purchase offer contingent on it being inspected by you or anyone else. You are not that far away so they should be willing to work with you.....and if not, walk away.
Remember, Everything happens for a reason!
Paul
1992 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath - Red and Cream

Reply #402
Kay,
I would definitely be leery. For one the reason for the repaint and secondly no records. If you are interested I would talk with the owner (they should let you if there is nothing to hide). Also, you can make a purchase offer contingent on it being inspected by you or anyone else. You are not that far away so they should be willing to work with you.....and if not, walk away.
Remember, Everything happens for a reason!
Paul

A new paint job on one that age is reasonable unless it was garaged which most aren't.

Jim

Reply #403
Yes, but I would be curious as to why it was re-painted?
Paul

Reply #404
If the 2003 FL checks out as being as clean as it looks, 28K isn't a bad price, it looks new.
Extra clean rigs demand a premium, used LDs are becoming rarer each day, due to the nearly ten years of reduced production numbers..

It does look like has been recently detailed, I'm surprised they installed a new TV
Looking at the white paint around the perimeter of the engine compartment, it is not weather-stained like most rigs of that vintage.
I suspect it has been stored inside most of its life, a good thing.
The only specific thing about a 2003 LD  I would be concerned of is the loose spark plug issue.
For peace mind, i would have the plugs changed and tighten to the revised torque.
Beyond that, 2003 was good year for the 23.5' Front Lounge.

Biased owner of a 2003 FL
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #406
I can't say what's 'real' and what isn't with this particular rig, but I had never heard of Westlake tires; it appears (to me) that either the dealer or the owner may have installed the cheapest option for cosmetic purposes. And, if the paint job is new, who did it and what did they use?  My 2003 is in good shape, and I know there are many rigs of that vintage and older which look great and are in top mehcanical and cosmetic condition because they've been well-maintained, but I tend to be very skeptical of potential 'warts' underneath the shiny stuff when something is 'too pretty'; YMMV.

This link is to a broad selection of LT load range E tires on Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=225/&ratio=75&diameter=16&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

Despite the appeal of lower price, I would avoid choosing any 'closeout' tire model because you are far less likely to get 'fresh' tires!

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #407
"but I had never heard of Westlake tire"

Google shows them as being sold at Walmart and Amazon.

Amazon.com: Westlake - Tires / Tires & Wheels: Automotive

I didn't read any of the reviews, though.

Virtual hugs,

Judie 

Reply #408
"I didn't read any of the reviews, though."
---
Reviews on any item, service, or commodity can be helpful, of course, but (I believe that) reviews on tires for our LDs can be 'misleading', primarily because most reviews of the appropriate tire application and size, LT225/75R/16E, are usually written by owners of pickup trucks or much lighter-weight vehicles than the 14050 or 14500 pound GVWR E450. Even though the tire size and load range may be the same, a heavy vehicle is going to put a lot more stress on the 'light truck' tires' sidewalls than a pickup, SUV, or van that uses the same size and load range. A lighter vehicle is likely to experience much more tread wear than the sidewall stress that affects the longevity of RV tires, particularly when the RV's tires are run overloaded and/or underinflated.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #411
Very much so agreed as for condition and age.

Reply #412
Sorry, I was responding to JCT but for some reason I cannot get the quote to come up,
Paul

Reply #413
On the surface, the asking price for this rig is at least $10-12k too high, IMO, but the mileage shouldn't scare off a potential buyer *IF* the rig's engine, systems, and components have been meticulously serviced and maintained and the accrued miles have not involved 'boulder jump' roads and/or towing, particularly of a heavy vehicle. 

The V-10 is a strong, reliable, durable engine; some go for 200k miles and more with few problems, again, *IF* everything has been diligently maintained. If this 2011 checks out and the owner is willing to negotiate a reasonable price, the rig may be well worth consideration.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #414
Not saying it isn't worth consideration but I would definitely negotiate with the high mileage in mind. Based on the informal survey we did some time back, 5-7K miles per year on average seems to be common.  Of course, how those miles were actually spread out and how well the unit has been maintained is a large factor.

Looks like this coach is on a dealer lot so one may not be able to get that information. That would also account for the high asking price.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #416
WOW! A Lazy Daze 'Outback' camper with innserspring (sic) mattresses and Jayco bed flies! A sure sale; who can resist the lure of flies in one's innserspring mattress?  :o

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #417
Looks like it might be in Australia.  But if it's truly $4400 even in Australia dollars it might be worth a trip over, spend a few months roaming, then sell it for whatever.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #419
A Texas RV for sale ... looks like a decent price and in good condition.
2006 Lazy Daze M23, Seguin TX - - RVtrader.com

It's a rare M23 model. 
Not many of those around.

Larry
Larry

Reply #420
Listed as a Class A, rare indeed for a Lazy Daze.

Steve
2015 TK

Reply #421
Isn't it a FL?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #422
Isn't it a FL?

Yes, it's actually a 23.5' Front Lounge, with identity issues.
The interior is clean, with few signs of usage. It looks like our LD did, when it was new.
The paint may have problems or it's dirty, hard to tell.

Larry

Larry

Reply #423
Thanks for clarifying, Larry. Is the TV location original?  Seems like a problem if one wants to sleep in the bunk.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264