Skip to main content
Topic: Removing Overhead Entertainment Center (Read 332 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing Overhead Entertainment Center
Has anyone ever removed one to put the bed area back in? My heart is set on a 26.5 mid bath rear lounge. The ones that stay up for sale the longest seem to have the entertainment center (unnecessary for me) and I'd like to know if it's possible to have the OTC bed back. I am currently in NE Ga, so I can't just run out to find a LD and see for myself :) 

Re: Removing Overhead Entertainment Center
Reply #1
Has anyone ever removed one to put the bed area back in? My heart is set on a 26.5 mid bath rear lounge. The ones that stay up for sale the longest seem to have the entertainment center (unnecessary for me) and I'd like to know if it's possible to have the OTC bed back. I am currently in NE Ga, so I can't just run out to find a LD and see for myself :)
I could be wrong, but I don't believe you could ever get the entertainment unit in the 27' MB.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
26.5 if that makes a difference. Looking at '03 and a lil newer.

Reply #3
Those units from the factory (30' typically) with entertainment units cannot be modified! They are constructed in a light weight manner and not intended to be converted to a sleeping space. The Mothership STRONGLY advises against it.   >:(

Yes Chris, the entertainment unit was/is an option on the 27s.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"the entertainment unit was/is an option on the 27s."
---
I looked at the current factory spec sheets and the spec sheets on the Techsnoz site from 2015 back to 2009; the entertainment center was not offered as an option in those model years (for the TK or) the MB. One might want to go back through the spec sheets from earlier years, but I am pretty sure that an entertainment center was not an option (at least, it was not listed as being available on the TK or MB) on any year of MB (since that seems to be the focus of the OP's question).

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
I have never seen a mid bath with an entertainment center. It really wouldn't make sense for that model. The only place you could see it from is rear dinette seat. RB and RK
I have seen with it.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #6
Geez....relax. No need to highlight, ! , all cap AND scowl face me. It was an honest question.
Diana, I think I can speak for Steve and say that he was not trying to chastise you. I suggest he added caps and scowly face only for emphasis, the kind of emphasis that the Mothership would give you if you ask that question of them.

I see you are new to the forum. We welcome you and hope you will continue to use the fine members here as sources for questions about your Lazy Daze.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
In my quest to make my original post to point, I made it confusing. LOVE RL because no entertainment ever. I am NOT against the RB or even RK (least fave due to no counter space), but the only ones I ever see lingering around for sale for extended periods have the entertainment center, so I was considering the options based on being able to pull out the tv/cabinet area. Now that I know it is not an option, I'm good :) The over the cab bed is a MUST for me. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the help. I couldn't find an answer anywhere else online. Happy travels :)

Reply #8
"Geez....relax. No need to highlight, ! , all cap AND scowl face me. It was an honest question."

Diana & Chris  ??? I'm confused!

What's going on here Chris, I did not and am not seeing the post you are quoting. It never appeared for me!

My apologies Diana, I did not mean to be rude. It was only that the factory, Steve Newton and Vince, have both made it clear that the units with an entertainment feature are not built strong enough to support the weight of one or two sleepers in the over-cab area. Hence it would be a waste of time and resource to attempt a modification of that sort.

Whew!  :-X
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Diana,

It is a perfectly valid question to ask. One that I, personally, asked Todd at LD back in 2014 when I was looking for a new or used Lazy Daze.

I had seen an ad for a 2006 LD with the entertainment center. Todd gave no explanation as to why it can't be removed and the next day my DW and I placed our order for a new RB without the entertainment center (we didn't want it either).

From everything I've learned about LD's over the past few years, I can't fathom the difficulty involved with removing the EC let alone "beefing up" the cab over area even if it were possible.

If you have been lurking for anytime at all on LDO (a wonderful and supportive group of LD enthusiasts) you probably already know how hard it can be to find a nice LD. There really aren't that many out there after all.

Don't give up. Stay with us and get to know the folks here. As its been said, "old LD's" often have a few warts to deal with, LDO members not so much .

Keep looking, keep asking questions...

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #10
Diana, if you are looking for a 26.5' mid-bath, no worries; per my post above, the MB was available only with a cabover bed, not an entertainment center.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Hey folks

If you go to the Lazy Daze web-site, under 'Options', you will find this:

ENTERTAINMENT CENTER ON ALL MODELS (EXCEPT 27'MB &24'TB) INCLUDES STORAGE COMPARTMENTS, 32" LED FLAT SCREEN TV AND BUILT IN SHELVING FOR YOUR VIDEO COMPONENTS (ALL STANDARD ON 31' )
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #12
Diana,

It is a perfectly valid question to ask. One that I, personally, asked Todd at LD back in 2014 when I was looking for a new or used Lazy Daze.

I had seen an ad for a 2006 LD with the entertainment center. Todd gave no explanation as to why it can't be removed and the next day my DW and I placed our order for a new RB without the entertainment center (we didn't want it either).

From everything I've learned about LD's over the past few years, I can't fathom the difficulty involved with removing the EC let alone "beefing up" the cab over area even if it were possible.

If you have been lurking for anytime at all on LDO (a wonderful and supportive group of LD enthusiasts) you probably already know how hard it can be to find a nice LD. There really aren't that many out there after all.

Don't give up. Stay with us and get to know the folks here. As its been said, "old LD's" often have a few warts to deal with, LDO members not so much .

Keep looking, keep asking questions...

Kent

Got it ;) Thank you for you insight(s).  Yes, I've been lurking for a few weeks and doing much research. Toughest hurdle to overcome is that I am in Georgia...... but I will have my Lazy Daze... one day :)

Reply #13
Hey folks

If you go to the Lazy Daze web-site, under 'Options', you will find this:

ENTERTAINMENT CENTER ON ALL MODELS (EXCEPT 27'MB &24'TB) INCLUDES STORAGE COMPARTMENTS, 32" LED FLAT SCREEN TV AND BUILT IN SHELVING FOR YOUR VIDEO COMPONENTS (ALL STANDARD ON 31' )

Welcome, Diana!

Just pulled out my brochure from 2005 and a similar statement:

Entertainment Center on 26 1/2' models (EXCEPT MB) includes storage compartments, 20" LCD flat screen stereo TV, and built in shelving for your video components---(All standard on 30').

BTW, the standard price for a NEW 2005 26 1/2' models was $71,250. I shoulda bought back then!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
Has anyone ever removed one to put the bed area back in?
This has come up from time to time and it us just about impossible to do.  The factory recommends (strongly) against it.  Also understand that Lazy Daze are built from the outside in.  Removing the panels and woodwork would do a lot of damage to the RV and underlining framework.  All that in an area that is very susceptible to damage (a leading edge, think tree branches and stuff coming at you).

My heart is set on a 26.5 mid bath rear lounge. The ones that stay up for sale the longest seem to have the entertainment center (unnecessary for me) and I'd like to know if it's possible to have the OTC bed back.
I do not recall a Mid Bath with a entertainment center but at the same time I am not willing to say they have never existed.

I am currently in NE Ga, so I can't just run out to find a LD and see for myself :)
The North East and South East Lazy Daze clubs are having a combined meet on the border of NC and VA in Mt Airy NC, Galax, VA, May 17-21.  There will be a bunch of Lazy Daze RVs there.  The people are nice and for the most part have all lived through the hard task of seeing a Lazy Daze in the wild while living on the east coast.  The best part is they invite you into their homes and will tell you the unadulterated truth when it comes to the joys and pains of Lazy Daze ownership.  Many to most models and configurations of models will be there.  There should be a nice spread of new and old.  People looking for information are known as "Wanta Bees" and are welcome.  Ask me how I know.  The show and tell is generally on Saturday, but if you spend more time there you'll be welcome in all the events.   North East Lazy Daze yahoo group.

This would be a good visit if you can fit it in.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Slightly off topic, and a add on to my last post.  I had issues with my DSLR on that trip so not to many pictures but here is a link to what I have.  Galax, Mt Airy is a fun place.  Good Blue Grass music, remembering "Andy of Mayberry RFD" and so on.   You'll Need a Newer Browser to See This Page
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #17
This has come up from time to time and it us just about impossible to do.  The factory recommends (strongly) against it. 
I do not recall a Mid Bath with a entertainment center but at the same time I am not willing to say they have never existed.

My original post was worded poorly. I love the RL the best (at this point), but would be open to others (even the dreaded RK) as it would just be me and my GSD. The ones (26.5)  listed for sale that stay up the longest are the designs that lead to having the entertainment center in the overhead cab. I was willing to consider one of those if I could replace the EC. My short OP set off some confusion. Oops :)

The people are nice and for the most part have all lived through the hard task of seeing a Lazy Daze in the wild while living on the east coast.  The best part is they invite you into their homes and will tell you the unadulterated truth when it comes to the joys and pains of Lazy Daze ownership.

This would be a good visit if you can fit it in.

Thanks for the heads up on that! Would love to and certainly hear the truth of it all. I currently have the most amazing of dogs, a Dutch import Belgian Malinois who turned 13 not too long ago. Tho he is in great shape, I would not leave him with anyone at this point and he is certainly too elderly to travel. Where I go, he goes. And he is no longer in a place where he can go with me, so I choose to stay with him :) Another time....

Reply #18

Slightly off topic, and a add on to my last post.  I had issues with my DSLR on that trip so not to many pictures but here is a link to what I have.  Galax, Mt Airy is a fun place.  Good Blue Grass music

I'm actually from SW Va (Radford, Blacksburg area). I am very familiar with that area :) and blue grass :)