Skip to main content
Topic: LD Quality (Read 590 times) previous topic - next topic
LD Quality
During the recent Morro Bay GTG I learned that, during the last recession, Lazy Daze laid off some of their long-time employees which resulted in product quality issues for certain recent years.

I'd like to hear opinions on which years should be avoided. Thanks!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: LD Quality
Reply #1
Well... This should be interesting!
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #2
"... during the last recession, Lazy Daze laid off..."

Since the 'last recession' covered at least the past eight (8) years) that could include a big chunk of RVs. And, although I'm far from being an insider this is the first I'd heard about lay-offs. Steve Newton does not make radical changes like that without good reason.   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
I am aware that they have reduced the number of units produced each month from 4 to 2 according to their invoice numbers.  If they did lay some people off, management normally keeps the best performers and let go the second tier.  If this is the case, perhaps the motorhomes being produced are even better.  Just saying....
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #4
"... during the last recession, Lazy Daze laid off..."

Since the 'last recession' covered at least the past eight (8) years) that could include a big chunk of RVs. And, although I'm far from being an insider this is the first I'd heard about lay-offs. Steve Newton does not make radical changes like that without good reason.  :o
After the 2008 crash, Steve laid off many long term employees, as orders quickly decreased, during the financial panic.
There wasn't much cross training before the crash. This resulted in many problems, mostly cosmetic, as the smaller number of employees needed retraining in new responsibilities. The years most effected were 2009--2011.
By the time the crash, the 2008 model year was already completed.
Since Ford has never been able to provide as many chassis as LD once received, the number of employees, or LDs produced, has never been anywhere near the pre-crash levels.
I have personally seem many problems during this time period. Friends were ready to return their new LD after finding so many blatantly apparent cosmetic issues that should have never left the Mothership.
To add insult, many V10s of this period suffered from excessive oil burning due to defective valve guide seals, requiring removal of the engine for repairs. I know of several who had their V10s removed for the replacement of $10 worth of seals.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2009-2011 LD but I would give it a fine comb inspection to make sure any problems had  been rectified.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
We have owned a 2000, 2008, and currently a 2015 LD and have noticed no difference in overall quality between the years. Different, and improved features, but the same quality we have become accustomed to over the years.

An added comment on our '15.
After two years of use, the only LD issue is two areas of the vinyl flooring about the size of a half dollar are lifting. That's it. Nothing else.

Ed

Reply #6
After the crash in late 2008, LD started downsizing its crew, in response to falling sales and, eventually, the lack of available E450s.
Before, each job had its own trained assembler.
Steve evidently didn't believe in cross training and it showed as the reduce work crew had to perform new tasks. 
LDs built during 2009-2011, had issues not seen before . Not huge problems but a lot of cosmetic mistakes that were not seen in previous builds.
One Caravan memeber's new 24' FL's  stove cutout was much to wide, with a ugly gap around the edge. It should have never left the Factory.
To LD's credit, it was replaced, along with a list of other problems.
Eventually, LD's crew was retrained and the traditional quality returned.

Older LDs do have a couple advantage over the newer rigs. The interior paneling is coated with a wood-grain plastic.
Starting about ten years ago, the plastic coating became softer and much easier to scrape and damage. I first noticed this on the cherry paneling.
Many are of the opinion that the older upholstery, made by Butterfield, is superior to todays product.
While switching to power saving LED lights was expected, I was disappointed how much less light the new fixtures produce, finding the newer cherry interiors to be very dark.
IMO, the change from bright white paneling to the off white paneling used today did nothing to brighten the interior.

During the same time period, some of the V10s burned excessive oil, caused by defective valve seals leaking oil.
These engine needed to be removed, under warranty, to replace the $10 worth of defective valve seals.
Many of these rigs spent a lot of time having their warranty problems solved by both LD and Ford.
My suggestion is to give these rigs a very close exam before purchasing to make sure any build quality problems have been corrected.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Thanks for the historical perspective, Larry. That's the kind of feedback I am looking for. It's good to know that those years don't necessarily need to be avoided, just scrutinized closer.  Do you know what year the Ford issues were resolved?

It would also be nice to hear from 2009-2011 owners to hear about any issues they have had.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
cruzian2

Oooooow, looks like I hit a nerve there! A little thin skinned I think.    :)  ;D  :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
The off-topic comments makes it difficult to participate in an otherwise useful post by the OP.  The waste of a perfectly nice topic is unfortunate.  And so it goes.

Reply #11

Hmmm... the only politics I see here is your post! What are you referring to?

Steve
Yes, folks, I think there was an overreaction to Steve's comment about the "last recession". Indeed there was one and it did affect the Mothership's production.

As always, during these politically charged days, I urge all posters to avoid any comments that could be construed as political opinions.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #12
I'd like to hear opinions on which years should be avoided. Thanks!

I'm revising this to, "I'd like to hear opinions on which years were affected," rather than "should be avoided."
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #13
Many are of the opinion that the older upholstery, made by Butterfield, is superior to todays product.

I remember the excellent quality fabrics in the 80's models so I'm assuming those were Butterfield products.  I see the "wrinkled effect" in many of the newer LD ads, which indicates to me a thinner material. I don't recall seeing wrinkles on the fabric in my '85.

Do you know what year LD switched away from Butterfield?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Hi Greg. Butterfield Interiors closed their doors in June of 2008, per our own archives (Yahoo). I really liked the blue pattern and material in our '99. I wish I could have gotten duplicate covers for everything before they closed. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #15
LD didn't "switch away from Butterfield"; Butterfield closed their business a few years ago (don't recall the exact year), so LD had to find a new supplier. I don't know who they use now, but, IMO, the current fabrics are definitely not the same quality as those used by Butterfield. The upholstery fabrics used now are equally unattractive, but the looser weave and "fuzzier" texture of the current fabrics makes them more susceptible to abrasion and wear. The "busy" patterns are intended to show less soiling, of course, but one can accomplish both "keep it clean" and "who picks out this stuff" objectives by covering the upholstery with washable throws (or other, "fitted" choices).

A matter of taste, of course, and the 2017s (and, maybe the 2016s?) do have an option of a plain, "tweedy" beige-y/tan upholstery fabric.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
"I wish I could have gotten duplicate covers for everything before they closed."
----
I bought a few yards of the "green" upholstery fabric that when I took delivery of my 2003 TK, not because I thought it was particularly attractive, but because the stuff is a tough, tight, abrasion-resistant weave and I thought that it might come in useful. So far, I've never needed it because the couches have always been kept covered, but when I sell my LD, the extra fabric will go to the new owner (if s/he wants it!)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17

"A matter of taste, of course, and the 2017s (and, maybe the 2016s?) do have an option of a plain, "tweedy" beige-y/tan upholstery fabric."

I've ordered the plain, "tweedy" beige-y/tan fabric for everything in my 2017 Mid-Bath which should be ready for delivery in May or first week of June.  This fabric color will be on the sofas, valance body and trim.  I hope I will like it and that with the cherry cabinets the LD won't be too dark.  My thinking is that with everything neutral I will have more decorating options.  I just pulled out the sample fabric and I don't think the quality compares with the fabric that was used in my 2003 Twin-King.  It held up really well. 

Monica

Monica
2017 MB

Reply #18
"I just pulled out the sample fabric and I don't think the quality compares with the fabric that was used in my 2003 Twin-King."
----
Agreed, Monica; IMO, too, the old fabrics and Butterfield upholstery were of an all-around higher quality than the current fabrics.  :(
2003 TK has a new home