Skip to main content
Topic: Where to Smog - San Gabriel Valley Area (Read 123 times) previous topic - next topic
Where to Smog - San Gabriel Valley Area
Our usual smog check location won't deal with a motorhome, got any recommendations in the SGV area for when the time comes to get it done?
98 MB

Re: Where to Smog - San Gabriel Valley Area
Reply #1
I'm not in that area but I've never been turned away and no huge upcharge for a motorhome either.

I suspect if you call 5 places - you'll get at least 2 or 3 affirmatives.  Do you have any shopper or clipper type ad mailers that you received? They may have some ads for smog places.  I like to start with a place with a coupon as by the time they do upcharge for truck or motorhome the price is still within reason. Never paid over $90 including certs to state.
1996 Twin King

Reply #2
This website can be very helpful in locating smog stations all over California; just plug in your (or nearby) zip code(s) to get listings. The site also offers smog information, coupons, etc.

Smog Check Resource for CA Car Owners | SmogTips
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Oh yes the fun of the California Smog test requirements.

Here in San Jose i have two shops.
Some shops think they have to to dynotest the LD , but my two can't do the test on the dyno machine.  Some just don"t want to remove the dog house.
And frequently the the machine is down and needs service.!@#$%^&*()_+.  That  is why i have two I frequent.

Quality Tune Up
Mckee Road at White Road
San Jose, Ca

Arco/ tune up shop
Landess at Park Victoria
Milpitas CA.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Turns out that the shop around the corner where we had 1 Lazy daze inspected during our hunt is also a smog shop, you just need to make an appointment for motorhomes so they can clear space to get the rig in! But since our rig is a 98 the cost is a bit more, $110 ouch.
98 MB

Reply #5
Why would a rig being a 1998 make a difference (in cost) over and above the increased cost of smogging a motorhome in general?

The smog shop I've used for the past 6 years - Smog Check Serving Campbell and the surrounding areas since 2004 , an "Accurate Smog" shop in Campbell, CA - offers a $15 off coupon, and has never required dyno testing nor removal of the doghouse; they just stick the probe in the tailpipe and read the emissions. It's not cheap to smog a motorhome almost anywhere in California; a year and a half ago, I paid $90.00 with the coupon. I don't know what the price will be this fall when the smog is due again, but having to smog the rig is just one of the many little joys of RV ownership.  :D

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Why would a rig being a 1998 make a difference (in cost) over and above the increased cost of smogging a motorhome in general?

The smog shop I've used for the past 6 years - Smog Check Serving Campbell and the surrounding areas since 2004 , an "Accurate Smog" shop in Campbell, CA - offers a $15 off coupon, and has never required dyno testing nor removal of the doghouse; they just stick the probe in the tailpipe and read the emissions. It's not cheap to smog a motorhome almost anywhere in California; a year and a half ago, I paid $90.00 with the coupon. I don't know what the price will be this fall when the smog is due again, but having to smog the rig is just one of the many little joys of RV ownership.  :D

Isn't the difference because newer vehicles they just check the engine codes and older vehicles they actually dyno test? I saw some shops charge even more for pre 95 vehicles because there is another test required for that age...
98 MB