Skip to main content
Topic: 2011 TK rear camera (Read 253 times) previous topic - next topic
2011 TK rear camera
My factory installed in cab Voyager rear camera screen stop working. Blank. Since it was installed by the mothership, I assume it is wired and grounded correctly. Has any member here needed to replace this camera screen?
James Allen Jackson

Re: 2011 TK rear camera
Reply #1
What have you done to try to resurrect this misbehaving back-up system? Turn it on and off repeatedly, placing rig in reverse, etc.???????????

Mine can be temperamental at times, particularly in hot weather. It shuts itself off prematurely when least expected. I've always been able to revive it by pushing it's buttons until it behaves.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
I have a Rand McNalley/ Good Sam rm7??? RV GPS with wired Back up camera.  When it shows the camera symbol and the blank screen when I switch to the camera it is usually has a wet or loose connection.  I did pinch the wire when i installed the unit but don't recall the symptoms.  The Rand McNalley processor is slow and some times is not ready to process the camera.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Mine was not a factory installed camera, but it was a high quality one.  Specifically a High-Resolution CHNV Color Backup Camera with IR Nightvision, I had purchased from RV Cams, Inc., back in 2008 (along with a monitor and wiring).  My monitor still worked but no image -- so I called them and they recommended I send it to them and they would test it to ensure it was the camera.  Only cost $6.80 to send it Priority mail.

Sure enough, a couple of days later they called and said the camera was indeed dead (I suspect it was water penetration from being exposed to the elements for so long).  A new one purchased and I hooked it up -- worked great.  And they gave a discount as it was a replacement.

My only point of relaying this is (a) you could reach out to RV Cams for a possible replacement.  And (b) you can have someone test yours to make sure that is the problem.  You might be able to do that all with the factory, but the whole "check via mail" thing kinda turns me off in this day and age. 

I love my back-up camera and would never drive without it.  I have it tilted down low enough to just catch the top of the faux spare tire holder, so I know exactly where the center of my rig is when backing up, and can get right next to a wall or fence without any assistance.

Good luck with your camera!

S-
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #4
"the camera was indeed dead (I suspect it was water penetration from being exposed to the elements for so long)."

Here's something I learned from painful experience, after two cameras in a row "drowned" (I could actually see water in the housings): when installing a rear view camera, always leave a "drip loop" before the cable enters the camera. In other words, never bring the cable down into the camera; instead, bring it up.

The photo shows one way of doing it. This way, water won't run down the cable and into the camera. Yes, I know these things are supposed to be waterproof... but take it from me, if there's a continuous trickle running down the cable to its entry point on the case, water can get in.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Andy brings up an excellent point regarding drip loops. This is a very important technique used for any outdoor installation which uses cables. In addition, it's also good practice to heat-shrink wrap any exposed connector fittings and alternate wrappings of electrical tape and butyl self-adhesive rubber tape to protect against moisture intrusion into the connector.

Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Andy and Hilola,

Thanks for that tip.  I have not yet done that, but happily, we've had tremendous sunny weather so far.

I will make that adjustment tomorrow!  I really appreciate the suggestion!

S-
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #7
"In addition, it's also good practice to heat-shrink wrap any exposed connector fittings..."

Very good idea, and while you're at it, squeeze some RTV Silicone Rubber into both ends of your shrink tube and carefully clean up the excess after the shrinking has taken place.   8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Taking the rig in to the mothership for other repairs. Vince will look at it then to see if properly installed.
James Allen Jackson