Skip to main content
Topic: I've been told no way to put generator in '87 LD (Read 206 times) previous topic - next topic
I've been told no way to put generator in '87 LD
I'm going to look at an '87 (I know:-/) short LD that does not have a generator. Seller says it has a built in box for it, but that it didn't come with one.  He said easy to have one installed. I don't think that's correct, is it?  Rig belongs to his grandfather.  It has some paperwork, but the roof was sealed by a friend, so no paperwork there.  I see all the warning signs, but seller promises in no uncertain terms, that the rig is watertight and has never leaked because it's been maintained.  I'm quite leery, but intrigued at the pros of the rig. 

Is it worth a one hour drive?  Would you bother?

Mimi
Save a life.
Adopting a pet is the closest a human
will ever come to choosing a relative.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Re: I've been told no way to put generator in '87 LD
Reply #1
Mimi,

A while back there was quite a lengthy discussion regarding the installation of a genny in an older LD that was claimed to be "pre wired" for such.

If I remember correctly, the discussion ended poorly for the installation. I believe it had a lot to do with the wiring harnesses involved.

Perhaps digging back into the archives will yield a better idea of the issues involving a genny installation.

Good luck with this one. You certainly are one determined camper.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Thanks Kent.  I decided not to buy a LD with such a big question mark. I also discovered that finding tires for such an old rig is nearly impossible and the best thing to do is to replace the rims.  The seller recently put Firestone light duty truck tires on it which, according to the information in the archives is a big no no.  Sooo, once again, I am saved by the plethora of outstanding information contained in the LDO forums. 

Persistent, yes:-)  House sold. Would like to move into an rv in short order.  Sellers certainly aren't making that easy.
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Reply #3
I also discovered that finding tires for such an old rig is nearly impossible and the best thing to do is to replace the rims.  The seller recently put Firestone light duty truck tires on it which, according to the information in the archives is a big no no.  Sooo, once again, I am saved by the plethora of outstanding information contained in the LDO forums. 

Mimi is this it? 1987 Lazy Daze Chevy
 I'm not sure what you read in the archives. But those Firestone Tranforce HT are the correct tires 8.75r 16.5 LT with a load range "E". Yes they are Light Truck as are the tires new Lazy Daze are delivered with. If you check the ratings online of those tires they get pretty high reviews for a medium priced tire. As far as being nearly impossible to find Walmart carries them along with Amazon and a few other tire stores.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #4
If you do go look at it, be sure to check the large front cabover window. It's probably cracked. I would also ask what they were towing with it as that chassis/engine combo is very limited.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
Mimi
 I'm not sure what you read in the archives. But those Firestone Tranforce HT are the correct tires 8.75r 16.5 LT with a load range "E". Yes they are Light Truck as are the tires new Lazy Daze

This is the thread I found about the tires.  Did I misunderstand?  Finding Tires for 1987 22' Lazy Daze on Chevy chassis
The tires were only part of it.  I really want a generator just in case I need it and this LD doesn't have one.

Thanks for your help....

Mimi
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #6
If you do go look at it, be sure to check the large front cabover window. It's probably cracked. I would also ask what they were towing with it as that chassis/engine combo is very limited.

That front window is such a problem.  Seller says no leaks.  He's very nice and he gave me a lot of information but yes, the window is a concern and sadly, the lack of a generator made it a bad fit for me.  Great point about towing. I hadn't even thought of that.  That would have been a huge oversight on my part.  Thank you for pointing that out!  Adding that one to my list.☺
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #7
This is the thread I found about the tires.  Did I misunderstand?  Finding Tires for 1987 22' Lazy Daze on Chevy chassis
The tires were only part of it.  I really want a generator just in case I need it and this LD doesn't have one.

Thanks for your help....

Mimi

Mimi in that thread many posters tried to tell the OP that the 8.75r 16.5 LT was the correct tire for a 1987 Chev G30. She was looking for the wrong size tire. A simple Google search would have showed her the correct tire for the vehicle. My guess is she was trying to match what was on the used coach and that someone had put the wrong tires on it in the past.
Lynn and Lori