Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Fluorescent tubes with LED tubes... (Read 1552 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Input on 2013 changes...
Re: Replacing Fluorescent tubes with LED tubes...
Reply #50
Hi Lynne; Your old florescent tubes are probably 'RS' rapid start bulbs. Over time they become resistant to starting when they are supposed to. Also when they are cold they don't want to start as easily. If left on long enough, a spike on the power line (remember the need for surge/spike supressors) will hit at just the right time (peak of the sinewave) and start them. New tubes will fix that, but Costco, and other places sell LED tubes at a reasonable price $20 per pair for 4 foot. They keep the ballast in place, A ballast is just a current limiter.    4ft 18W LED Linear Tube - Glass - Ballast Compatible Only - Plug N Pla –...
   Those lights may work on one switch, that doesn't make them in series. One light switch may control one AC socket but you could plug many lights into a plug strip running on that socket.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #51
I changed out all of the fluorescent bulbs with led bulbs from M4 products.  I used the "natural" color which is about  4000 kelvin.  I purchased one bulb of soft white and one of natural white and decided on the natural color, the other was too warm. The owner, Steve is very knowledgeable.  m4@m4sale.com,  m4products.com

Reply #52
I changed out all of the fluorescent bulbs with led bulbs from M4 products.  I used the "natural" color which is about  4000 kelvin.  I purchased one bulb of soft white and one of natural white and decided on the natural color, the other was too warm. The owner, Steve is very knowledgeable.  m4@m4sale.com,  m4products.com
Did you use 1 or 2 LED bulbs in the fixtures?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #53
I replaced the two fluorescent lamps with led lamps.  When you figure there are 7 of them in a 30' IB, it is a little pricey.    Puts out a lot of light and the natural color is pleasing.

Reply #54
I replaced the two fluorescent lamps with led lamps.  When you figure there are 7 of them in a 30' IB, it is a little pricey.    Puts out a lot of light and the natural color is pleasing.
Do you think you could get by with one per fixture? Have you tested with just one?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #55
Do you think you could get by with one per fixture? Have you tested with just one?

Most folks are happy with one tube per fixture, you can always go back and add a second tube to a fixture that needs more light.
Make sure to get a color temperature that is pleasing to you, everyone has their own preferences .

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #56
The replacement LED tubes in my fluorescent fixtures over the couches are single tubes; plenty of light with just one tube there. The fixture over the sink has two tubes; one needs plenty of light for galley tasks!

Fiat lux!

2003 TK has a new home