Skip to main content
Topic: Shower diverter not working -- any tips? (Read 184 times) previous topic - next topic
Shower diverter not working -- any tips?
Hi folks,

The other day, our shower diverter (in a 2000 Mid-Bath) started diverting less water to the shower.  Pulled up hard and the little plastic knob broke.  Eventually found an exact replacement (at Ace Hardware, in case anyone is looking), but in my case, that wasn't the problem -- it is the diverter itself.  It just won't go up enough, nor stay up, or has broken internally, and so it diverts very little water to the shower, making the shower unusable.

Have others faced this issue?  We are at least a month away from visiting the Mothership, so was hoping there is a way we can fix this ourselves.  I'm not sure where to begin.  I have a decent set of tools with me, and modest plumbing skills.  Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

S-
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Re: Shower diverter not working -- any tips?
Reply #1
Hi Steve. For right now, the diverter just plugs up the spout, so water has to come out of the shower head. A few wraps of duct tape should plug up the spout and make the shower head work better. Both hot and cold water faucets allow you to adjust the water flow and temperature, correct? I have a TK and my plumbing is accessible from underneath the sink. In your case, a MB, either the faucet comes off the shower wall to get to the plumbing, or you should have a way to get to the back of the faucet. Camping World or other RV parts places would have the entire faucet assembly. Last I looked, not in 'vanilla' color, only in chrome. HTH  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
My diverter has a broken knob and is very hard to pull up. I have a new unit sitting here ready for me to go install it. I had to order it from camping world and it took a week to get it. This one is a little different instead of the hose hookup coming out the bottom it comes out the top. And it is also chrome. But it matches the sink faucet I just put in. Access panel is off and it looks a little tight in there but doable. 
Lynn and Lori

Reply #3
RonB, thanks for the MacGyver suggestion of duct tape.  That makes all the sense in the world until I can get this fixed.

And Duro, you had exactly there same issue I'm having, and I suspect I will be copying your exact repair.  One question -- did you have to order from Camping World because they do not stock, or you wanted it shipped to your home.  I'm hoping I may find one in the next Camping World I stumble across, but feel free to disabuse me of that idea, and I'll plan on ordering it to be delivered to my sister's house in a few weeks.

Thanks again for both of your inputs!

S-
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #4
Steve,
I only had to order because they were out of stock. Our local camping world is pretty small. But this is a normally in stock item.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #5
OP here -- I thought I had closed out this topic, but I guess I was in a no-internet location.

Bottom line, I bought the part at Camping World, also chrome color as nothing else was available.  And bought a new Oxygenics head and hose (that was in a cream/off-white color).   The combo looks OK to DW, so I'm good with it ;-)

Replacement was very straightforward, via the access panel in the rear of our MB.  All connections only finger tightened, plus some sealant applied to the mounting plastic and pipe holes.

All is well -- shower is working great again.  Thanks all for the assistance, and sorry for the delay in closing out the topic.

S-