Skip to main content
Topic: battery isolator (Read 288 times) previous topic - next topic
battery isolator
Need to know the placement of all the wires on battery  isolator.

Re: battery isolator
Reply #1
MANGO702000-

What year and model LD? Can you provide a picture of the battery isolator and the wires that are nearby?

Our 1997 mid-bath did not have a battery isolator.

Mark H
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #3
I have 4 terminals one terminal unknown

Reply #4
Over the years, LD used different isolators - some were simple relays, other a diode type - but terminal arrangements varied. As Mark said, posting a picture of it would be very helpful.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
4 wires with terminals

Reply #8
Mark, your link shows an isolator with three terminals, so apparently not the same as yours. Take and post a pic. Note that most isolators actually have the terminals marked, though yours might have them obscured by road film.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
I have a 3 post isolator as in picture. 4 wires with terminals. One wire I don't remember which terminal it goes on.

Reply #10
If there is one small wire with a fuse. maybe it runs the CB.  The CB should hook to the #2 stud. 
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #12
I take it back- our 1997 did have a battery isolator- a diode one, like MANGO's.

Center connection to the alternator output.

Chassis battery (positive) cable attaches to one output post, house battery (positive) cable to the other output post.

The smaller wire with the ring terminal left over goes (in the factory configuration) on the house battery post. It powers the radio. If you have the CB radio option, there's a second smaller wire with a ring terminal. It goes on the same post. Both of these wires have in-line fuse holders less than a foot from the ring terminals.

I connected both the radio and CB to run off the chassis battery. If you do that there's the chance that you'll drain the chassis battery by leaving the radio and/or CB on too long.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #13
Thank you all.

Reply #14
LD's, 2007 and older, used diodes to isolate the batteries, later models use a solenoid.

The isolator diodes are usually configured with the center terminal going to the alternator, the front terminal used for the starting battery and the rear terminal used for the coach battery.
A smaller wire(s),  attached to the front terminal, are for the CB and/or electric entry step.
There usually is a inline fuse in the CB and/or electric step power wire.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
One may identify which terminal on the isolator goes where by:

1) With little or no house battery usage, and with engine turned off. (Results are easier if the house converter or the solar panels are active0.

2) Measure the voltage of the house battery system to ground.  Do this either at the battery itself or at the large terminals on the DC distribution fuse board in the power converter.

3) Open the hood and measure the voltage of the chassis battery to ground (the other battery terminal is good).  The difference in voltage of the two DC systems is typically greater than a few 10ths of a volt, sometimes a volt or more.

4) Now measure the voltage (to ground) of each isolator terminal.   One may now ID each isolator terminals by matching it to the voltage of the individual system.  The engine's off, so the isolator terminal with the zero (or near zero) voltage is the connection to the alternator.

5) This will go a long way to ID the situation.  It will leave any other terminals on the isolator unidentified.  Punt.

Linley

Reply #16
"Punt."
----
A technique I frequently employ!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home