Skip to main content
Topic: Cool "Check List" idea (Read 268 times) previous topic - next topic
Cool "Check List" idea
I was chatting with friends this morning, (over coffee  ;)  ) and the subject came up of seeing people with their antennas up, departing the campground.  Jim told me how they keep track.  They have wood clothespins, with things such as Antenna, cabinet latches, hose stowage, hydraulic levelers, shore connection, etc, and when one of these things is opened or put up or into use, the relevant clothes pin goes on the steering wheel.  It becomes a solid reminder of things to check before departure.

I thought it was good enough and simple enough that it should be shared.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Cool "Check List" idea
Reply #1
"They have wood clothespins, with things such as Antenna, cabinet latches, hose stowage, hydraulic levelers, shore connection, etc, and when one of these things is opened or put up or into use, the relevant clothes pin goes on the steering wheel.  It becomes a solid reminder of things to check before departure."
----
I'm afraid that my tiny reptilian brain would look at the that and think, "Who the h--- stuck a clothes pin on my steering wheel!?"  ;) 

(Seriously, Ken, it's a useful 'reminder' technique!)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
I use this reminder list. Has worked for years.
Maybe a cloths pin to remind me to look at the list👍
Ed

Reply #3
We have one of the camping world antenna up orange signs that you hang on the antenna crank. We added a list to this sign and laminated it on to it.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #4
Our list came from several lists used by LD Owners on this Forum.   DW has it on a clipboard and reads each item.  She checks inside and I check outside.  Not on this Departure List are the checks for the vehicle we're towing to include making sure the lights work.  It's sure easy to think we've done something when in fact it was the day before that we had done something. 

One might ask themselves how does a person drive off with the awning out, or the shore power cable connected, or the city water hose connected and so forth.  The answer is ... stuff happens!  Our checklist just helps to reduce the chance that stuff happens.

Reply #5
Probably best not to use the "Uncle Billy" method from It's a Wonderful Life. You know, the piece of yarn tied around the finger method?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
DW and I have a setup and departure list.      I do a walk around checking all latches, locks, tires, and climb ladder inspection.    I do this as a 'must'.   If the engine key is turned off  the departure check list is a must.     Its the law in this family.  
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #7
I used a list for a while.  The problem with a list is that it tells you to check everything.  The clothes pin idea focuses only on the stuff you deploy.  For example, if I am traveling and stop overnight someplace such as a Walmart, I will deploy my antenna and stabilizers, nothing else.  In the morning, going through a whole checklist would be a PITA.  Check two items and I am good to go.  I plan on getting some clothes pins to give it a try.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #8
Pilots use check lists for all of the equipment they fly and it will vary depending on the equipment they are in.  Checking the checklist before any action you do in a plane is something you do, just that...  We can do the same with RVs and keep to it for the best result.

~Liam
    98~MB
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #9
I use wooden spring loaded clothes pins marked, Levelers, Antenna, Utilities, Vents. As I use and item I put the appropriate pin on the gearshift lever. This makes it hard to drive off without noticing that you forgot something.

Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #10
List smish.  Clothespins bah!  In my experience, there's always a friendly trucker who will blast the air horn and point up at your roof as you sail along the freeway.
Don't ask.
😬
-- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #11
Jon, as long as you haven't driven under a low branch before reaching the road...

Ken F in NM
'08 MB