Skip to main content
Topic: The Lazy Daze manual (Read 695 times) previous topic - next topic
The Lazy Daze manual
Hi Everyone,
Is there a lot of info in the manual to make it worth the $75 to purchase it? I called the Company and they said there were no wiring diagrams and no pipe diagrams in the manual. We have an electrical problem and would love to see the wiring diagram and when I asked them if there was one available,  the answer stunned me. They said "Oh there are no wiring diagrams. The guys know them so well they don't need one "  So where to go now? Any suggestions would be fantastic.
Thanks
1998 26.5 Mid Bath

Re: The Lazy Daze manual
Reply #1
Hi Kamani74, Welcome to the Forum. Tell us about your electrical problems. Many people here will help. Please include what year, chassis, and floorplan you have, since that can affect our answers. Motorhome wiring, especially in a Lazy Daze, isn't all that complicated. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Hi Kamani74,  I had a wiring issue last year with my 1998~MB and one of the members here was so kind to send me the file with the diagram.  I see in your profile that your LD is a '98. 
This diagram is 1998 Lazy Daze 26.5 Mid-Bath Wiring Diagram - Vehicle 1/25/2014  35 sheets (as it is printed on the bottom)
If you think that this will work for me PM me your email and I will forward it to you...

~Liam
                             98~MB
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #3
It's true, there are no accurate, useable wiring diagrams or even blueprints available.
The schematic shown in the Owner's Manual is a joke, it's barely worth looking at since it does not show all the important parts or nor their locations.
It's a detective game when you need to trace or find a particular wire.

What's the problem?
Sherlock
(Watched the season finale of PBS's Sherlock last night, a great series.)
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I had a wiring issue last year with my 1998~MB and one of the members here was so kind to send me the file with the diagram.  I see in your profile that your LD is a '98. 
This diagram is 1998 Lazy Daze 26.5 Mid-Bath Wiring Diagram - Vehicle 1/25/2014  35 sheets (as it is printed on the bottom)

Liam-

Glad to see the diagram set I made has a life beyond me! I'm happy that you're spreading it around.

KAMANI74-

The diagram set Liam has offered to send to you covers chassis wiring only. If that's what you're after, great! If you're after "house wiring," that is, not related to the vehicle functions, then I can help somewhat, as I did make a number of modifications inside our mid-bath and thus became familiar with some of that wiring. Larry, Andy and several others here know this stuff cold.

As Larry asked: "What's the problem?"

Mark H
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #5
I was lucky enough to find a member here who sent me a .pdf of the LD manual applicable for my rig. It is a good resource and enjoyable reading.

But no, I would not pay $75 for one. This forum is a far richer source of usable information.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #6
On the other hand, having the original manual would be a plus in case you ever plan on selling. As a buyer, I would expect to have a manual available.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
ATTN:  Moderators

If those detailed wiring diagrams are available, would it worth consideration to find a somewhat permanent home for them in one of the several LDO folders, files, etc?

Reply #8
Hi,
 Since i am a newbie, I am finding my answers have to be moderated and I have written 3 posts and only 1 has gone through.
I answered in a long post what the problem is with our rig,  and it hasn't been posted.  Is it possible I can  graduate to a non moderated status??
Thanks
1998 26.5 Mid Bath

Reply #9
KAMAN

I've read all three of your posts, two in this thread!     ????
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
A day ago Kaman74 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Is there a lot of info in the manual to make it worth the $75 to purchase it? I called the Company and they said there were no wiring diagrams and no pipe diagrams in the manual. We have an electrical problem and would love to see the wiring diagram and when I asked them if there was one available,  the answer stunned me. They said "Oh there are no wiring diagrams. The guys know them so well they don't need one "  So where to go now? Any suggestions would be fantastic.
Thanks

This is the longest of your three posts that I can see.  Maybe there is a fourth that describes the issue you are having with your Lazy Daze?

Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #11
Hi,
 Since i am a newbie, I am finding my answers have to be moderated and I have written 3 posts and only 1 has gone through.
I answered in a long post what the problem is with our rig,  and it hasn't been posted.  Is it possible I can  graduate to a non moderated status??
Thanks

Hmmm . . . I only see this one and your original post at the top of the page.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
OK I will try  We are having an intermittent electrical problem with with it locking in
>  park. We had our mechanic spend several frustrating days trying to figure
>  out why and in the process he isolated the brake switch and the solenoid
>  and they seemed to be working fine. We just keep blowing the 15 amp fuse under the dashboard. He did
>  find an electrical connection in the underside of the rear end that he
>  redid which helped quite a bit, but we are still blowing the fuse
>  occasionally. Is there a buss bar somewhere in the wire path that may need
>  the connections cleaned? Any help would be so appreciated.
1998 26.5 Mid Bath

Reply #13
OK I will try  We are having an intermittent electrical problem with with it locking in
>  park. We had our mechanic spend several frustrating days trying to figure
>  out why and in the process he isolated the brake switch and the solenoid
>  and they seemed to be working fine. We just keep blowing the 15 amp
>   Any help would be so appreciated.
Sounds to me like a chassis electrical problem, something what would be covered by the official Ford Factory Shop Manual, particularly the volume with electric schematics.
This type of problem needs to by solved by someone with good electrical troubleshooting skills, one that VERY few mechanics have. 

LD's owner's manual isn't going to be much help, its electrical information is extremely limited.
It doesn't even show all the circuit breakers or their location.

Larry
Larry

Reply #14
Oh wow!
Which fuse is it?
My 1988 has a ford fuse block with numbers, and the LD added some fuses for the 3 way refrigerator, in dash radio, and CB. 
In 1988 the in dash radio and CB were to run off of the coach battery. 

The newer in dash Ford, Motorcraft radios are married by Ford to Ford CPU's, so the in dash radio may now be tied the the Chassis battery.

In my 1988 MB LD made connections to the Chassis electrical for 3 way refrigerator to ignition on,  Marker lights to the parking lights, a back up alarm to the reverse lights. and the stop lights, tail lights, and the round 4 pole trailer connector in those days.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #15
Does your LD require that you step on the brake pedal to shift out of Park into a Gear?
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Yes we have to step on the brake to shift and there is a switch that activates to allow the shifter to move from park to the other choices.  I will look tomorrow to try to ascertain which fuse it is. One thing I know it is in the upper right of the fuse box. Nearly impossible to change without being a contortionist.
 We have found out the brakes and the brake lights and the turn signals are all tied together. So if we turn on the ignition but do not start it we can shift to neutral  and start the engine and shift without a problem. But the brake lights and turn signals do not work.
So we are all thinking it is a touchy butt connection or corrosion somewhere in the wires. Mark mentioned we should check the wiring harness connections. Thanks for all your feedback. Everyone is so supportive.
1998 26.5 Mid Bath

Reply #17
Are. You towing a trailer or toad?
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #18
Kamani74,
Assuming still are using four  incandescent XX57 tail lights at 27 watts each results in 10 amp load. If the shift lock solenoid, 2 amps, is on the same circuit will be at nearly 13 amps, the legal limit load for a 15 amp circuit.  A 2 stop light toad would add 5 more amps,18 amps total.  A 4 stop light toad would add 10 amps and combined with LD, at 23 amps, should cause a fuse to melt in about 20 minutes of continuous on time.   Add some high back stoplights LD and toad and the circuit could draw 30 amps.  The fuse should blow instantly at 30 amps.  Hence the need for toad isolation relays.

On my 1988 MB, the stop, tail, back up lights, and trailer lighting harness connect to the chassis wiring harness just behind the rear axle.  The wires for the upper marker lights are spliced in to the chassis wiring harness below the refrigerator access panel in the chassis frame rail.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #19
Did the mechanic check the switch that's mounted on the brake pedal, up under the dash?
A damaged switch, or a loose connection on its plug, can cause interlock problems and lock the vehicle in park.

Larry
Larry

Reply #20
Wow, thank you for all the info. Liam and Larry were so kind to send me a manual and wiring diagrams, so we are way better off than a few days ago. Yes we have the old regular lights and will sometime in the future replace the tail lights with LED's. Who is the best company to order those from? We pulled one light out and the wires are short. Is the connection accessible from the panel in the storage? The brake switch was deemed working by the mechanic. (By the brake pedal).  I cannot access the fuse panel as we backed the rig into its very tight spot in my yard in preparation for us going away for a couple of months boating.
Thank every one again for so much information. This is a fantastic forum!
1998 26.5 Mid Bath

Reply #22
KAMANI74-

I made the change to LED lights for the turn/stop signals, and also split the coach and trailer signals to be powered separately. If I had to do it again, I'd skip changing the rear stop/turn lights to LEDs, and instead install LED bulbs in the existing light housings. This is (much) simpler to do, and accomplishes the same goal of lowering the current draw on the taillight circuit. Then I'd evaluate whether or not the coach/trailer split was needed.

In my opinion, the problem you're having will not be fixed by any of this, as I expect it is caused by a bona fide short. Find and fix the short first, then consider any LED replacements.

Mark H
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #23
The pdf's would probably be too large but it would be cool to post manuals from each year. I would be happy to donate my 2004, 27th edition. 😇
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #24
I wonder about any copyright issues with that, seems it has been discussed here before...
Paul
'92 Mid Bath