Skip to main content
Topic: paint and body questions (Read 333 times) previous topic - next topic
paint and body questions
Good afternoon .;
we are looking at a rear bath 26.5  98 yr.  and have a question or two that might be answered here.
the body on the coach outside skin I was assuming was aluminum so there I may be wrong don't know.  but the skin on the side above the fender skirt and at one end of the fender skirt has paint blister like rust from underneath the paint in the metal which on a steel material would be what it was but assuming this is not steel in that area what is the answer??   could that section been replaced with sheet metal and now rusting?  the owner said the coach in its early day had a blow out and damaged this area??
Next the rear of the coach the seem at the bottom of the ladder going across the coach shows signs of rust coming out (no blistering just red)  but in behind the ladder at the bottom the skin of the coach again has several blisters and rust looking material as well the corner seam is lacking any sealer in the area by the ladder and shows a slight gap between top and bottom pieces and has rusty looking metal showing in there. 
I have to assume that the alum. skin of the lazy daze is also combined with some sheetmetal??  or has the unit had extensive damage repaired?? 
Now for the 64,000 dollar question this seam area could a stop rust be applied and new seam sealer be applied and make a good repair that should last .???
I have done auto body work before just never been on this type vehicle or coach.  if it were on the truck id have no issue but on the body I'm really needing answers before I buy . 
thanks for any info.
jim.
2005 Front Lounge

Re: paint and body questions
Reply #1
Jim, it's difficult to know what's causing the "rusty" appearance in some areas, but the siding on LDs is aluminum; if you're seeing areas of blistering and paint bubbles, the aluminum has oxidized under the paint. Depending on how large and/or widespread the areas are, repair may be pretty expensive. JMHO, but if I saw a rig with the kinds of blisters and gaps you describe, I'd suspect that there were other problems that might not be readily apparent, e.g., leak damage.

Others may disagree, but I'd pass on this rig.

YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Not sure if this is the rust you refer to or not. Just in case it is.

Where the flat/horizontal part of the rear bumper takes a 90* angle upward against the coach side, that 1",  or so , high vertical  piece that runs the width of the coach  is steel and is subject to rusting.  Common and easily remedied. I had that problem all the time with my '08.
You just need a little touch up paint after removing the rust and priming the spot with Rustoleum.
I think it starts with the slightest crack in the paint where the steel makes contact with the body. Probably caused by expansion and contraction.

Ed

Reply #3
If there are many spots more than the size of a nickel, I would pass. The repair of the skin is not the issue- what's causing it is. The rear end, as I read your description sounds like leakage and possibly rot.

Photos would help better understand the scope, but in the case of a Lazy Daze, beauty goes deeper than skin deep.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Jim,

I was wondering if the spots you have above the fender skirts are something like the corrosion spots I have.  See picture.
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #5
Jim,

I was wondering if the spots you have above the fender skirts are something like the corrosion spots I have.  See picture.

To me, that looks like exfoilation. Exfoilation is a type of corrosion in aluminum. 

When I was in the Navy, I used to work with metals, welding, etc. as well as doing non-destructive testing. We would commonly see this type of corrosion on ships that had aluminum superstructures (the part of the ship above the main deck). Any good sheetmetal shop should be able to repair it.

Read more here:

Different Types of Corrosion: Exfoliation or Layer Corrosion - Causes and...
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Yes Glenn   The rusting action looks identical to the picture you posted.   This is definitely in a aluminum area and as everyone seems to think I'm sure its the aluminum corrosion in action.   We did pass on this unit not because of this but because of the distance to travel to check it out but after learning and seeing in person I would probally passed anyway. 
Thanks so much for each reply we appreciate the help here.  Shows your never to old to learn new info.
So the search continues; :-)  
Jim
2005 Front Lounge