Skip to main content
Topic: Installation of LED tail lights (Read 581 times) previous topic - next topic
Installation of LED tail lights
I have reviewed the information on this site and Techsnoz about installing led tail lights. The information is somewhat dated now and the part numbers are now outdated. With led technology improving all the time, there are new light models available. A visit to the Pederson Manufacturing website has so many choices, selecting lights for such a project is daunting. Has anyone done this improvement recently that can share their experience and the products used? A photo or two of the completed project would be nice.
2005 MB

Re: Installation of LED tail lights
Reply #1
I did it on my 92 and after looking at the net, and at local supply stores, emailed Terry and bought his kit. I then added LED backup lights I sourced locally. He is a great guy, doing a good job for us, so it was easy to go with his setup.

Edit- I did this in 2015. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
I upgraded to LED tail and backup lights in 2013 on our 1997/8 mid-bath. I used Peterson Manufacturing lights. Is that recent enough for you? I have many pictures I can share, and part numbers. Contact me by private message if interested.

If I were to do it again I'd simply put LED bulbs in the existing fixtures. In the main, this solves the excess-current/low-voltage/dim bulb problem, with a lot less work.

You do have to replace the turn signal flasher for one that is LED-compatible, in any case.

Mark H
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #3
Okay, I bought 10 1156 (?) LED bulbs this winter because they were dirt cheap thinking I would go ahead and change out the tail lights this spring. Are there instructions out there on pulling off the light "caps" on a 2004 or thereabouts model? I have pulled the upper marker lights with a screwdriver and that was a snap but there is a metal ring wrapped around half of the light cover that gives me pause.

I wouldn't ask yet waiting for spring weather but it was 75 here in Omaha today and will be around 68 to 70 this entire 3-day weekend so it may be time to do some LD tinkering!!!👍🏻🚐
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #4
I upgraded to LED tail and backup lights in 2013 on our 1997/8 mid-bath. I used Peterson Manufacturing lights. Is that recent enough for you? I have many pictures I can share, and part numbers. Contact me by private message if interested.

If I were to do it again I'd simply put LED bulbs in the existing fixtures. In the main, this solves the excess-current/low-voltage/dim bulb problem, with a lot less work.

You do have to replace the turn signal flasher for one that is LED-compatible, in any case.

Mark H
Mark, where is the t s flasher?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Today I installed STL101RFB LED tail lights on my 97 tk with right angle plugs. The 3 mounting holes lined up perfectly.  The metal ring only held the lens covers which I an no longer using.  The flasher relay is under the driver's fuse panel.  Newer models may not have a relay.
GloLight LED Trailer Tail Light - Stop, Tail, Turn - Submersible - 21 Diodes...
Ryder products had the best pricing but they only had 3 in stock, 1 on backorder.
1997 TK

Reply #6
Chris-

The flasher on our coach was under the dash. I forget whether it was to the right or the left of the steering column. The easiest way to find it is to turn on the hazard flasher switch and listen for the clicking sound.

Dave (HUSKERBLUE)

Folks here know more about the 2004-era than I, but on our 1998 coach there was a metal retainer ring in a groove on each tail/backup light housing. It's made of small-diameter steel and has two hook-shaped bends formed into it at the ends. It works like a large c-clip. Open a pair of needle-nose pliers, put one jaw in each bend, then squeeze the handles on the pliers. This reduces the diameter of the ring, allowing you to pull it out of the groove. Once out, remove the light lens (carefully- it's been in there for a while), replace the bulb, and then reverse the process.

Mark H
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #7
This is likely not much help, as I didn't find the paperwork for the Peterson LED replacement taillights (back-up and brake) that Larry installed over a year ago. These LEDs replaced the "original" brake light LEDs (Maxximas) that Terry Tanner installed several years ago; over time, these had dimmed enough to be less noticeable, and I wanted the brightest taillights, including LED back-up lights, that I could find. The Petersons were Piranhas , and they were installed without the original chrome "beauty ring" that just collects dirt and water.

I think that it's common knowledge that LD is known for two "build" features, i.e., the amount of sealant/caulking is inversely proportional to the working lengths of wiring! When installing the lights (or any other wired object), be sure to hang an alligator clip off the loose wire end or it will disappear into the hole!

IMO, replacing the original "dim bulbs in dark cans" taillights in older LDs with LEDs is a critical safety improvement. (As ever, YMMV.)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Brighter, and brake lights illuminate more instantaneously, giving the following car a few more milliseconds to react. This is claimed to be worth up to 20 feet braking distance at 75MPH. It's something.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Hi Bruce. A friend/neighbor of mine wants me to help him change some of the lighting on his 2001 MB to LED's, and I made up a list of external items. I don't have any connection to  Superbrightleds.com other than being a satisfied customer.

ST-W30 (two of them) 30 Bright White LED  7000K, 155 lumens, 4" dia. reverse lights. 3 pin connector. $23.99 each (updated 12/22)
  STR-12 (four of them)  12 Bright Red LED  628 nm. truck/tail lights, 155 lumens, 4" diam., 3 pin connector.  $14.95 each
  ST-PL35 (six of them)  3 pin plug assembly for ST series. $1.49 each
  FLSS-40 (six of them) ST series Stainless Steel Flange mounts. [Trim rings] $4.95 each. Don't seem to trap dirt, and do provide a reflective surface to headlights behind you. Since LED lights don't seem to have reflectors built in, I put two reflectors on the bumper with 3M VHB double sided tape, one on each side. Amazon has one from Bargeman #70-72-030, a conspicuity trailer reflector, 1.1" x 12" for $15.13. (looked like each). Etrailer.com had one of similar size, RFL-12R, $2.85 each.
I just looked those up, I don't remember what I used, years ago. This size fits under the black vinyl stripe across the bumper.

LPC-R4W 1 1/2" round license plate light (two of them), 4 white LED, 5000K, 10 lumem, chromed plastic housing with two 14" leads. (brown + and white, ground)
          $5.95 each.  You already did this with your 2005 MB. Bulbs appear to be the same.

TLB-R11 (one light) 11 Red, LED ID bar, 19" long, 630 nm. 10 lumen per LED, $29.95 each. color matches brake lights well. Also used as a rear, center brake light. I didn't use the left/right feature. (enough turn signals already).

MDB-R12 (two lights) Red rear side marker lights, 12 LED, rectangular, $6.49 each. The ground terminal is just a ring around          one of the mounting holes and won't work on the plastic skirt of a LD. You need to fabricate another ring terminal with pigtail to connect at the inside. Current passes through the screw.(ground). Use stainless machine screws.

This part from Etrailer.com; 118158  a Tekonsha 2 to 3 wire tail light converter $19.79. Connects to your brake lights and gives a useful 'Brake Only' signal for the high mounted center brake light. People following you expect a center brake light. I mounted mine on the tire cover. If you tow a vehicle that has separate brake lights (3 wire), not combined with the turn signals like the LD (2 wire), it can be used for the towed also.

I recently replaced my marker light bulbs, keeping the present fixtures, with Yellow LED's for the front and red LED;s for the rear, 5 each. 194 bulb replacements, Super bright LED.com. Amber 194-AHP5, Red 194-RHP5, at $5.95 each (ten bulbs) They worked well.

I forgot to mention that with the reduced load on the flasher that you may need to put in a new electronic constant rate (load independent) one. I used a Grote 44892 from Zoro.com, $24.46.  (also available from Amazon)

I also replaced my front turn signal/running lights with a #3157-A27-T-CK, 27 Amber LED, not oversize, 270 lumen, $14.95 each. My older rig used these, should be ok for your 2005 MB. Newer rigs may be different.

My headlight housings were getting dull and turning yellow, so I recently replaced them also. I bought from Spec D Tuning. They don't seem to sell direct anymore. sparktecmotorsports .com sells them; Euro style 92-06 Ford Econoline chrome/clear. SKU LH-Econ92JM-RS, for $98.79 per pair. These have 6 white LED's across the bottom that I hooked up to the running light part of the turn signal. Could be used for DRL also. I also found similar lights from K2Motor on e-bay; chrome/clear "92-06 Ford E350-450, for $76.69. I didn't like the black plastic ones. YMMV
  For new headlight bulbs I got Sylvania 9007 Silver Star Ultra, 4100K, high performance bulbs from Amazom at $36.03 a pair. These were nice and white, not the bluish colored ones.

Hope that is complete. I am still replacing my inside lights with LED's. The incandescents are gone, but I still have some of the florescent fixtures. Ronb
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
Ron, could you take a photo of the headlights installed?

Jim

Reply #11
Hi Jim. I have a photo of the driver side installed. RonB

Reply #13
Hi Craig. Those Optronic GloLight STL101RFB may be better lights for the LD. The outside ring of red LED's appears to be reflective also. The fact that the center bright LED's go on and off, instead of just getting brighter/dimmer, may make them more noticed by someone following. Couldn't find a spec for combined brightness or color temperature. Certainly haven't seen any like these on the road yet, so the uniqueness factor would be high. It seems that their standard plugs are the same as the SuperBright tail lights plug.  RonB

Reply #14
Ron, Thanks for your detailed post that included all the part numbers and information, that is helpful.
2005 MB

Reply #15
They are much brighter than stock.  I was hoping the outside ring would flash with the brake or change brightness with a signal.  It is still more noticeable than stock for less than $20 each.
1997 TK