Skip to main content
Topic: 2002 LD 30' rear window gasket and seals (Read 621 times) previous topic - next topic
2002 LD 30' rear window gasket and seals
Hi-
My rear gasket and seal are separating from my rear window.
The window is not leaking. I had a auto window company  out to inspect the window
to see what I needed for the repair. Apparently I need the rubber window gasket and the locking seal.
I called the mothership to order the parts. I can purchase the rubber window gasket/seal  but I was told the
locking seal company stopped manufacturing this item. The name of the company is HERH Windows of Oregon.
Any ideas for locating the locking seal?

Mark
2002 30' IB

Re: 2002 LD 30' rear window gasket and seals
Reply #3

If the company Joan found does not have the proper gasket, you can still seal the window.
If the seal between the frame and body are bad, seal it with white polyurethane.
I have postings dealing with this.

If the seal between the frame and the window is shrinking, pulling away from the window, it can be sealed using a black polyurethane. I use 3M 5200 for both the these repairs it is available in black and white.

Both repair require using masking tape to control where the sealant is applied and where it shouldn't be.

3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 Black, 06504, 1/10 gal: Industrial Sealants:...
Amazon.com: 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4200, 06560 , White, 1/10...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I'll take a photo of the window and the problem area. I'll post them tomorrow.

2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Here are photos of my LD rear window.
Photo 1: Entire window
Photo 2: Left bottom corner showing splitting gasket. The black ribbon looking
material to the top right is black tape I'm using to keep moisture out.

Mark
2002 30' IB

Reply #6
It looks like the stripping/channel gasket/glass seal (sold by Pelland; link posted above) is the right product, but after a lot of cleaning and leak checking!  :o  Is this a new-to-you rig? 

You'll also want to seal around the window frame - again, after checking for leak damage - with 5200 Fast Cure per Larry's post above.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Thank you. Yes. it is a new to me rig.
I was going to have a local auto glass company install it for $60.
2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Looking at the photos again, the gasket I linked to may not be the right stuff because your application is exterior and the window is fixed. The product in the link fits into the exterior channels of the sliding part of the windows (on my 2003 TK), and into the interior channel of the large rear window. You might want to look at the Pelland website for other gasket stripping; there are quite a few products. Good luck.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
I called the mothership. The told me the window trim changed after 2002.
I wouldn't know what type of gasket I would be looking for on Pelland's website,
2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Thanks for the link and I will call them.

I have zero experience with rv windows. I don't know one gasket from another. I don;t think I would be able to answer Pelland's questions.

I would think the mothership could tell me the type of gasket used in my year and model.
At least that would be a starting point.
2002 30' IB

Reply #12
For a few dollars they will send you a sample pack.  I have done that to confirm before buying 100' of stuff you can't use.

The outside seal on the center window bar, required window removal and disassembly to install on my Coachman Van.  Needless to say, I never installed that one.

Hehr International has service manual if you want to look.  servicemanuals

The other trick I have seen is to re-adjust the outside seal back into the corners and fill the resulting open seam with black silicone.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Problem is, I have no idea what I would be ordering.
There has to be a zillion different kinds of gaskets and seals.
Without disassembling the window and actually looking at the shape and measuring the size I would be ordering in the dark.

Wouldn't the mothership have a parts and ordering list for my LD??
2002 30' IB

Reply #14
If you're uncertain about getting the correct seal, why not call Pelland and ask if you can send them a piece of the stuff so that they can match it? They have Hehr replacement parts, so I would think that they would be a good source of guidance? You're certainly not planning to use the stripping on the window now for a re-seal anyway, right?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
You're certainly not planning to use the stripping on the window now for a re-seal anyway, right?

Sorry, I'm illiterate when it comes to knowledge of motorhome windows. All I want to do is replace the damaged gaskets and seals with new parts and keep out the moisture. I will contact Pelland for advice.

Thank you
Mark
2002 30' IB

Reply #18
NADAZE

I'm with you, I don't know the first thing about RV windows either and before I'd go clunking around and get myself into trouble or debt I think I would leave it to those with more knowledge on the subject. If you are within range of the Mothership or any 'competent' window service facility I would run, not walk, directly there to, at the very least, acquire the info to make a good decision.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Hello folks-
Okay I'm POed.
I had a professional glass company out to replace the gasket on my rear window.
Would I thought was just a bad gasket turns out the original window was broken and replaced with a piece of tinted lexan glass.
We are going do a cheap fix for now to keep the rain out. We will keep the lexan but replace the seal and recaulk.

Can anyone tell me what a 31 foot 2002 LD rear window look like. Was it a slider with a screen??
2002 30' IB

Reply #20
Hello folks-
Okay I'm POed.
What I thought was just a bad gasket turns out the original window was broken and replaced with a piece of tinted lexan glass.
We are going do a cheap fix for now to keep the rain out. We will keep the lexan but replace the seal and recaulk.

Can anyone tell me what a 31 foot 2002 LD rear window look like. Was it a slider with a screen??
More...Quick Edit
2002 30' IB

Reply #21
Hello folks-
Okay I'm POed.
What I thought was just a bad gasket turns out the original window was broken and replaced with a piece of tinted lexan glass.

More...Quick Edit
One piece window. No slider or side windows. Same as in the 31' photos on the LD Inc  website.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #22
One piece window. No slider or side windows. Same as in the 31' photos on the LD Inc  website.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

I think I'm going needing to order a new one. I wonder If I could purchase it cheaper through the manufacturer, HERH?
2002 30' IB

Reply #23
Thanks Chris!

I think I'm going needing to order a new one. I wonder If I could purchase it cheaper through the manufacturer, HERH?
Hehr. Try calling them.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #24
Yes I will. The window measured 45.5" x 25"
2002 30' IB