Re: Verizon Unlimited Data Plan
Reply #1
Excellent link Joan, thanks.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Not at all sure what it means.

I get $80 a month (after discount) for say an iPhone used as a hotspot.
Then would it be $20 for each device using the hotspot?
So a Macbook, Ipad and Air2 would add $60 for a total of $140?

That's only $20 more than I paid last year for 24GB. Only, grrr

hmmm, some want free this and that how free data?
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #3
For us, this is the biggest "gotcha:"

"hotspots are capped at 10GB/mo of LTE-speed usage"

We use our phone as a hotspot, both at home and on the road and we regularly go over 10GB each month.  And with the plan capped at 22GB per month before speeds are throttled, it's hardly what I would call "unlimited."

Here's another "gotcha" for people who travel:  "domestic data roaming at 2G speeds"

We usually have a good 4G signal *most* places we travel, but I have no idea whether or not any of those places are roaming, since Verizon doesn't currently differentiate between their towers and their partner's towers.
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
I was curious about the plan, so I started a chat session with VZ. Asked this question:
If a person had two cell phones, could they use one phone as a hot spot for 10 gigs of 4G  then the other for the next 10 gigs of 4G speeds?

Here is the reply.

"Verizon
I looked into this for you and it is when the first 10GB is reached on the account not per line!"

This is contrary to what the link says in the OP so if this is an issue to you, I would require a written confirmation of the policy from VZ.

Too many catchs for us, but it may work for others.

Ed

Reply #5
Ed and Lynda, are you on an unlimited plan already? It sounds like you are using lots of data on cellular nets for a reasonable cost. 

I would love to go all cellular and drop DSL at home. Or be able to stream as much as my wife on an ATT unlimited. Though she is throttled after 22GB.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Ed and Lynda, are you on an unlimited plan already? It sounds like you are using lots of data on cellular nets for a reasonable cost. 

We are not. A few years back, VZ had a promotion where you could get double the data for the same price. We took the 30 gig plan at the 15 gig price. ($130/mo) That was back when we travelled extensively. I've looked at less expensive VZ options over the years but haven't found any where the reduced data allowance vs the reduced monthly cost seemed justified for our needs and budget.
So, when we do travel for a few weeks or a month, or so, we can , with some of exceptions, both use the iPads as we see fit. On stay-at-home months, I just wince and pay the bill. 💲💲💲
The MiFi and 30 gig plan, has come in handy when our ISP has gone down for some reason.

My thought when I saw the unlimited plan, was to simply use our MiFi at home and on the road l and cancel our internet provider as an offset to the cost. After reading the fine print, that's not an option for us. Two many ifs, ands, or buts.

As an experiment, once, I connected all our devices , laptop, etc., to the MiFi for a few days to see just how much data we typically use at home. It varies from 1.5 to 2 gigs per day. When traveling with our 30 gig plan, we don't watch any videos or download music, etc, unless we're on a free WiFi site like a library or visitors center.  Even  Netflix allows you to download some shows for off-line viewing.

The VZ unlimited plan is like so many other things. The devil is in the details. 👹

Reply #8
Thanks Ed, you have a good plan for two subscribers and 30GB. I too would bite the bullet and pay the bill.  We regularly use 250+GB when at home, so no cell provider will work there.  My tactic is to keep my wife on her unlimited, and do a cheap pre pay on mine, then pony up for the data as I use it.  It comes to about what you are paying. 

I justify that by cancelling DSL when we are traveling, which averages >9 months a year.  In WA you can't put Century Link into vacation mode, you have to either pay the full monthly bill or stop service.  Now we know how they can afford to sponsor Century Link Field in Seattle. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Ed and Lynda, are you on an unlimited plan already?

Like Ed, we are not on a (grandfathered) unlimited Verizon plan.  Currently, we're on their 24GB plan (we've already used slightly over 17GB this month and our billing period isn't up until the 4th).

I'd love to have DSL at home, but I can't see paying for *both* DSL and a data plan with Verizon (unless the DSL can be put on hiatus while we're traveling during the winter?).

This is all very confusing, and it seems that different people are getting different answers from people at Verizon.  Some say the 10GB hotspot limit is "per device."  Others say it's "per plan."  Same with the 22GB limit before data management/throttling occur. 

There are several discussions going on over at the Escapees Discussion Forum about this very subject.  I'm keeping track of them and, when we get home in about a month, I'll be going into the local corporate Verizon store and checking it out.  Right now, it doesn't make much sense for us to switch...*unless* the 10GB/22GB limit is "per device."  And I'd have to find out which areas, exactly, are roaming because 2G would be pretty much unusable for a long-term stay.

Linda Hylton

Reply #10
We have a shared grampa VZN unlimited plan throttled to 3g that costs us $10 a month from some guy on eBay. It worked surprisingly well in the LTVA area south of Quartzite when we were there with the Lazy Daze group a few weeks ago. Youtube was usable at 240p, web surfing just fine. Depends I guess how many others are around you using the same account, as it's been very slow elsewhere. I was able to do my volunteer webmaster stuff for Jojoba Hills without problems too.

We also have a T-moble data-only plan with 6gb at 4g LTE per month for $35 -- grandfathered as well as of this week, and we'll hang onto it. Unused data rolls over each month up to 20 gigs with no-cost binging on select streaming services. Coverage is improving rapidly and speed is excellent WHEN there's a reliable signal. I should add that it used to work great at Slab City, but this year's trip not so much. Customer service admitted they had a tower outage in the Salton Sea area that would be fixed "soon" but according to other slabbers it's been that way for awhile and there are too few subscribers to make it a priority. Great signal around Yuma and Borrego Springs this year makes up for it though.

Phones are 3g pay as you go for voice / dats from Page Plus on VZN network. An $80 refill lasts up to a year at 8 cents a minute / 10 cents a megabyte, restricted to 3g.

I know there are plans to shut down the CDMA/EVDO services on VZN at some point in the future. When that happens we'll probably see more and different pricing options for 4g, but that's still a few years out.

fu
fu
2015TK

Reply #12
As I understand it, VZN's new "unlimited" is similar to what T-mobile has always done with their "unlimited" plans -- once you reach your monthly data cap, it (theoretically) throttles back to 2g speeds. In reality, if/when they throttle, it's more likely to be near their "beyond average" level around 21-22 gigs a month. This is probably also a function of local tower congestion. If you're over your nominal 4g limit, you'll be 'managed' in favor of someone who hasn't gone over.

Complicated? Yeah. Marketing, billing, and technology all inluence what you get.

For what it's worth, we started our 5 week trip witg 6 gigs plus another 20 stashed, and didn't manage to use it all before the billing period rolled over and gave us another 6 gigs. I'm a bit of a cell geek -- been on xda-developers.com since 2004 and have a whole graveyard of rooted devices to show for it lol

fu
fu
2015TK

Reply #13
Here's another article about the new Verizon unlimited plan:

Here are the catches in Verizon's unlimited data plan

This article states that both the 22GB and 10GB limits are "per line," not "per account."  But there are still CSR's who are telling people that it's per account and other CSR's who say it's per line...so who to believe?
Linda Hylton

Reply #14
"  But there are still CSR's who are telling people that it's per account and other CSR's who say it's per line...so who to believe?"

I had VZ chat sessions with two CSR's yesterday. They both stated emphatically that the limits were per line and not per account. Perhaps the dust has settled and everyone is reading from the same page.
So. We have 2 phones and 1 Jetpack. By rotating  use of these devices we can get 30 gigs of 4G before the 3G speed reduction occurs on any line. Right now we don't use 30 gigs while traveling.
This plan would lower our cost by $37/month equaling $444/year.
I'll give things a few more weeks and then perhaps make the change to save the $400.

Ed

Ed

Reply #15
Maybe you can explain this to me Ed and save me a trip to VZ to get more confused.
We are hitting the road and I just went to change from 2GB to 24GB, what we had last year.
The only options I see are 2, 4, 8 and two version of  Unlimited's.
We have one iPhone that we use for a hot spot.
We have three tablets.
Does that mean we will have to use the higher costs Unlimited. The other one sounds too good to be true.

I also found out the asshats roll off, roll over minutes after awhile. We had 16GB when we got home last year. It all went in the dumper. I love paying for stuff and having it stolen.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #16
"The only options I see are 2, 4, 8 and two version of  Unlimited's."

Hello Don.
I read somewhere on the VZ site but I can't find it now, that any data plan over the 8 gig size you must call. Can't do it online.

Looks like a phone call with an estimated hold time of two days  >:(  or schlep down to the store.  ::)

I've been round and round with them for the last few days.

Enjoy.

Ed