Skip to main content
Topic: In need of Help: Cannot located fresh water tank drain valve on my 1986 LD (Read 251 times) previous topic - next topic
In need of Help: Cannot located fresh water tank drain valve on my 1986 LD
I have read all the old forum posts and googled to no avail. Where, oh where is this mysterious drain valve located on a 1986 rear bath? Any help would be appreciated, I need to get this baby is good working order. Spring is coming! I found some sort of valve looking thing near the propane tank, but when I turn it nothing happens.
1986 22' Multi-Plan

Re: In need of Help: Cannot located fresh water tank drain valve on my 1986 LD
Reply #1
I'm not familiar with your year/model; do you have a valve in the outside storage cabinet directly below your fresh water tank?

I'm assuming you have water in the tank.

Matt

Reply #2
I can't say if the fresh water tank drain valve on your '86 is the same, but on my 2003, the water is drained by opening a lever right under the bottom of the water tank. You may need to get under the rig, or at least kneel down and peer underneath with a flashlight, to see and activate the lever. (The latter move should not be attempted if you are underneath the rig!  ;) )

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
In the '15 27' RB the fresh water tank drain is just inside to the right of the opening on the drivers front bay door.

Looking at your avatar it appears your coach is not a 27' In any case the proceedure should be similar and the release valve should be similarly located inside a bay near the fresh water tank.

Open the bay (very large square bay opening) and look to the right and you should see a PVC pipe descending from the fresh water tank. On the side (toward the center of the coach) there will be a handle for releasing the water.

Take a look just under the coach at that point and you will see the PVC drain pipe.

Don't forget to close the valve after you have emptied your tank.

Good luck.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
I have read all the old forum posts and googled to no avail. Where, oh where is this mysterious drain valve located on a 1986 rear bath?

FYI, your model appears in the pic to be a 'Multiplan', with a rear streetside shower and sink in the rear lounge/bed area, kitchen curbside behind the entry door. This was perhaps the only custom model they offered, with layout choices for the area behind the driver and the area rear streetside. Perhaps another Multiplan owner can help with tank location, but there aren't that many anymore. Typically, if you locate the tank, there will be an outside storage area below with a drain valve, and a small pipe projection under the rig at that spot.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Where is the door that cover the water tank inlet?
The water tank should be directly below and the drain valve below that, usually located inside a lower exterior storage bin.

If my memory is correct, in a Multi-Plan, the water tank is located above the propane tank, so look in the propane tank area for the drain valve, behind the exterior access door signed "Propane".

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Thank you for all the help. I did located the drain valve in the LPG bay. It was very tight, but got it opened up and now finally have good fresh water on board. The water had gotten super stinky like the sulpher hot springs in Avila. Step by step, the old girl (the RV, not me) is getting closer to her first camp trip it what has most likely been a very long time.
1986 22' Multi-Plan

Reply #8
I agree with Linda; if the water in your tank smelled like sulfur (or algae, or any other musty, funky stuff), it's a good bet that any "new" water will not take long to get stinky, too. And, a good flush of the water heater seems in order, too, as a sulfur smell indicates that the tank has probably been operated dry, i.e., the mineral build-up "cooked" and now smells like rotten eggs. (Sent you a PM re: procedures.)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home