Skip to main content
Topic: Propane relief valve and tank  (Read 126 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane relief valve and tank
Today the 312 psi relief valve opened and emptied the 2004 8"x 42" propane tank. My guess is the rubber failed as it is a bout 60F.  Should I replace the valve and have it certified, or buy new at $900.00
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Re: Propane relief valve and tank
Reply #1
Today the 312 psi relief valve opened and emptied the 2004 8"x 42" propane tank. My guess is the rubber failed as it is about 60F.  Should I replace the valve and have it certified, or buy new at $900.00

Find a large, local propane supplier, that services their own rental tanks, and have them take a look at it
They know a lot more about this subject than anyone here.
If it is repairable, it should cost a considerably less than $900.
If the pressure regulator is the original, change it at the same time.

Many LD's propane tanks, of your vintage, have extensive rusting and will not be re-certifiable.
The paint, on our 2003's propane tank, started chipping and rusting within a few years. The epoxy paint is tough but once chipped, water will migrate under the surface of the paint and rust the tank.
Once a year, any loose paint is chipped away and then the exposed metal is painted with a rust encapsulator/converter. Naval Jelly is a common brand.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze