Skip to main content
Topic: Used Lazy Dazes Inspection Checklists, Tips, Recommendations, Discussions (Read 2503 times) previous topic - next topic
Used Lazy Dazes Inspection Checklists, Tips, Recommendations, Discussions
Note: The following list is not my own but a paste from LDO files.

Kent

Used Lazy Daze purchase checklist 1999 Lazy Daze 23.5' TK

•  Ask owner to turn on refrigerator (on LP gas) the day before inspection. There should be propane to test appliances.

•    Wear clothes suitable for crawling under rig.  Bring gloves, headlamp, small night light to test AC plugs (or a polarity checker).
Have a tarp available for crawling under coach.

Coach

•    Does the rig sit level on level ground? No listing or leaning? Remember that it won't be perfectly level unless fully loaded, but severe listing should be checked out further.
•    Make sure ladder is stable.  Climb up on the roof and inspect the seams and roof penetrations. The sealant cracks naturally as it dries, but look for anyplace where it has cracked through or pieces are missing.  If you find any significant gaps, check the inside ceiling carefully for any soft spots. Check  to see if the previous owner tried to seal a leak using some different type of caulking.
•    Check roof and walls for bubbles or very small whitish spots. This may indicate electrolysis, a condition caused by dampness inside the coach wall. Electrolysis corrodes the aluminum panel until small holes are worn through.
•    Check solar panel. Solar panels could have cracked glass from rocks, hail, pinecones etc. Look for moisture inside the panels, corrosion inside on the metal collectors.
•    Check air conditioner cover, TV antenna, all plumbing vents, refrigerator vent, roof vents.  They should all be intact. Skylights? Screens? •    Pay attention to leading and trailing edges of roof as that's where damage from low hanging trees, etc. is most likely.
•    Sight down the sides of rig and look for uneven surfaces. LD's aluminum siding has a rippling appearance - that's normal. Large bulges are abnormal.
•    Also inspect the outside paneling for electrolysis while checking for scratches, dings, signs of impact and paint fading/damage.  Are there any stains, rust spots or areas of corrosion? Check that the Phillips screws are snug on the outside trim pieces.
•    Check end caps for gaps. The end cap trim piece in the rear corners at eye level will often look bad. That's mostly cosmetic.

•    Check wheel wells to see signs of tire blow-out damage.  While here, check & make note of tire pressures.  Check condition of sidewalls and tread.  Look for abnormal or uneven wear on the tires.
(I already know age of tires) R. front ____            L. front ____ R. rear/outside ____            R. rear/inside ____ L. rear/outside ____            L. rear/inside ____
•    Look at the rubber seals on the windows and the coach entry door.
Look for cracking or separation from glass.  Check caulking.  Look for cracking or gaps. Have the windows been caulked or re-sealed? This may indicate that they had leaks in the past, or it may be appropriate preventive maintenance. Check that the window weep hole covers are in place. (older than 2003) Missing covers let dirt accumulate and plug up the hole.
•    Generator - check for obvious signs of oil leaks or other external damage. Run the generator (later).

•    Awning – make sure it deploys. Check for tears or mildew.

•    Step (electric or manual) – make sure it works.
•    Storage compartments. Make sure all the locks function and latches are in place.

•    Check the battery compartment for acid  corrosion.
•    INTERIOR: Check for water damage everywhere.  Inspect closely for dry rot from leaking seams, roof penetrations, or windows. Look very carefully wherever water could get in and collect. Check around all windows, vents, and hatches. Look *everywhere* for discoloration or dampness in the interior paneling. Look for rust spots on drape hooks, which could indicate a high level of moisture by the window. Look at the ceiling for discoloration or stains.

Look closely at the paneling below each window, all the way to the floor. Running a hand over the paneling may be the only way to find the soft spots. The affected areas would be soft and/or brittle.

While you're checking the interior, be alert for unpleasant smells.
Mildew and mold are good signs of water penetration.

•    Climb in cabover bed.  Feel under mattress for any damp or soft areas.  Check for any signs of leaks around windows and escape hatch.
Make sure the hatch opens & closes tightly.

•    Check the bathroom floor around the shower and toilet for soft spots. Check vinyl for peeling or bubbles.

•    Check all overhead cabinets for leaks from the ceiling.

•    Check lower cabinets for signs of dampness or mold.
•    Look for patched carpet, new floor coverings, or an uneven floor.
These may indicate water damage. Listen for creaking that may indicate the sub-floor is damaged. If it's very cold, some creaking may be normal.

•    Open and close every window. Make sure that the cranks all work, and that windows close properly and seal. Do they slide freely?  (they may not slide like a puck on ice, but should not be severely stuck) Are the window locks working?  Are the screens in place?  Check all blinds.

•  Open vents.  Turn on fans.

•    Pull out all drawers and open all cabinets. All should operate smoothly, and have no unpleasant odors. Make sure all handles, pulls and hinges are present. Check that the dinette or couch that converts to a bed can still do so. Use a flashlight to check for discolorations or stains.

•    Lift up and inspect all cushions, including the cab-over bed.
Broken frames, worn or stained fabrics, or sagging cushions will be expensive to replace.

•    Turn on an inside faucet and then turn on the water pump. Pump should prime immediately and water should flow. If water heater tank isn't full, let pump fill it by leaving hot water faucet open. Once you have water flowing from both hot and cold faucets, turn off faucets. Pump should shut off automatically. Wait a minute or two... pump should not cycle again. If it does, suspect a leak in the plumbing system.
•    Check tank level panel.  Fresh water should be full and both waste tanks empty.

•    First, make sure that water heater is not bypassed with a water heater bypass kit (used to bypass water heater for winterization.. if you're not sure, ask.) and is full of water.  Light water heater.

•    While waiting for water heater, test cold water in kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower & the toilet.  Make sure all the water drains quickly and easily.  Check tank level panel again.

•    Back to water heater.  Check for: * Pilot light (if so equipped) stays lit.
* If Direct Spark ignition, make sure control switch works.
* Main burner works.
* leaks (especially around drain plug and pressure release valve) * If electric equipped, check for operation.
* Let it heat up and check for shutoff if possible.
•    Turn on the furnace and set thermostat above current temperature.
It may take a while to light.
•  Go outside and check flames for the water heater, furnace & fridge.
Check that the flames are noisy and robust.  A proper mix will burn loudly with a blue flame, not lazy with a yellow flame. It can be adjusted by loosening the small Phillips screw and sliding the air adjust collar. Usually that can be left alone unless you are over about 6000' and are having a soot problem.
•    Make sure hot air is coming out of all heater vents. There are two forced air vents: one facing the bathroom and one right around the corner from it,  facing the cab. They are round brown vents about 5" in diameter, so they're easily recognizable. One duct goes right underneath the drawer under the refrigerator. Pull out the drawer, pull at the stop forcefully. You can see the hose and it should be OK.
Check that it isn't collapsed either.
•    Water heater should be ready now.  Check hot water in both sinks & the shower.  Fill both the black and gray tanks and drive over some bumps (later). This makes sure the tanks don't leak, and that the supports holding them up are in good shape.
•    Turn on generator and let it run for 15-30 minutes.  Make sure it doesn't stall or stutter.

•    Check all interior and exterior lights •    Light all range burners.  Light oven pilot light and turn oven on.
•    Test microwave •    Check that roof A/C is blowing cold air, then turn it off.
•    Turn off generator.  It should stop quickly and not run on for another minute.

•    Check that refrigerator is cold (best if you have wireless thermometer to check temp-38F frige/0-5F freezer).  If the fridge has been running on AC, turn switch to LP and listen for flame to light.
Go outside and check fridge access door.  The flame should stay on.
•    Check solar controller. Hopefully you'll see a black panel about 5" x 7" with an LCD panel and some buttons. About all you can do is look to see that at least a few amps are coming down from the roof. even with a small panel you should see at least 3 or 4 amps at noon on a clear day. * The Solar controller should show the current voltage of your batteries, and a switch to show the charging current. Watch the voltage increase when you plug in the shoreline. The fluorescents won't change brightness, they have internal voltage regulators.
•    Activate levelers.  Make sure they all deploy. Leave them deployed while you inspect underneath the rig.

•    Look underneath at the bottom of the rig at the exposed wood frame areas for dry rot, particularly around the entrance step and behind the rear wheels. You should look for collision damage, things that have come loose, or after-market items that weren't installed well. Check the gas hose to the generator for cracks. Check for signs of water, oil or fluid leaks.
•    Look at all axles and suspension components. Are there any bent or broken parts? Major rust? Dangling wires? Missing shock absorbers?

•    Retract levelers.
•    Plug the shore power cord in and make sure it works.  Check all AC outlets inside with night light (better w/polarity checker).

•    Raise, rotate, lower TV antenna and test for function •    Test any Smoke, Propane and/or CO detectors

•    Dump valves.  Check for leaks.  Dump black tank, then grey tank.
Make sure everything works easily.

Engine and drivetrain

•    Start the engine. Exhaust blue smoke = burning oil, white smoke = burning coolant, black smoke = running rich. Listen for exhaust leaks (ticking or obvious exhaust gas escaping). This will all have been checked by mechanic, but do this anyway to hear how engine sounds.  Go somewhere flat.

•    Make sure hood release works.

•    Check all the fluids under the hood to see if if they smell burned or extra foul, or look really dirty.  Again, just double check all fluids.

•    Does hood close securely?

•    Drive the coach down the road and find out if it accelerates smoothly, pulls, vibrates, etc. Make sure the in-dash A/C and heat, radio, CB and other electric equipment work properly.
Go over some bumps to jog the water in the tanks.

•    Evaluate the condition of the cab. Are the seats worn, seat cushions squashed, dashboard cover cracked? Are all seatbelts in place?
•    Crawl under coach again and check for water tank leaks.  Check that the supports holding both tanks up are in good shape.  Check levelers - they should still be fully retracted.

•  See how well engine restarts after about an hour sitting.
More...Like Quote

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Used Lazy Dazes Inspection Checklists, Tips, Recommendations, Discussions
Reply #4
$9.95 downloadable "how to buy a used RV" e-book written by an RV tech:

RV Buyers Guide
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Just what I was looking for!!!!!
I Fly out from ATL to PDX Monday to inspect and buy, hopefully, a 2004 Mid Bath (RED)
with 38,000 miles. I came here to ask the question you answered...beyond my expectations.
But not looking forward to over 2,600 miles by myself.
I have insurance and Roadside assistance.....any other advice would be appreciated.
Don't think I need a book, I just printed out Kent"s post...thanks again

The major problem I have been running into is fogged thermo pane windows....no easy fix...this one is
supposed to be free from that.

Thank you
Fishing Fanatic
Jerry
2004 MB

Reply #6
I Fly out from ATL to PDX Monday to inspect and buy, hopefully, a 2004 Mid Bath (RED)
with 38,000 miles. I came here to ask the question you answered...beyond my expectations.
But not looking foward to over 2,600 miles by myself.
I have insurance and Roadside assistance.....any other advise would be appreciated.

The major problem I have been runing into is foged thermo pane windows....no easy fix...this one is

Thank you
Fishing Fanatic
Jerry

Welcome to the Lazy Daze Owners' Forum, Jerry, and good luck on your buying trip. Let us know what happens.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
I'm wondering.  We need a certified scale weight for registration. How closely are fees tied to the weight.  Our tanks aren't completely empty and I'm about to go get her weighed.  Are we throwing money away by having some fluid in our tanks?

Reply #8
I'm wondering.  We need a certified scale weight for registration. How closely are fees tied to the weight.  Our tanks aren't completely empty and I'm about to go get her weighed.  Are we throwing money away by having some fluid in our tanks?

The price is a set fee and it's going to be the same, empty or full tanks.
Cat Scales are found at truck stops and they provide a certified weight certificate.
How To Weigh | CAT Scale

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Welcome to LDOF, Duane and Pat. What model and year Lazy Daze do you have?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
This source may not be helpful if there's no inspector (more or less) local to you, but it's worth checking out.

RV Inspection Connection | Professional RV Inspections All Across America!

Joan
Looks like this website just forwards you to the nrvia website (Inspector Locator – Step One – NRVIA); might be helpful since who knows who you're sending your info to.

Reply #11
There are several inspection services that pop up using a quick web search; some are hyper-local, some are regional, and some may have inspection locations in various areas of the U.S., but I suspect that most, if not all, of them are 'connected' in one way or another to NRVIA.

If one is savvy about what to look for and has the time and patience to do a thorough inspection of an RV before buying, this checklist is comprehensive:

RV Inspection Checklist
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
I just flew to Virginia and drove my new 2005 26.5 MB back to Denver.  It was fun but exhausting and had to eat mostly truck stop snacks along the way due to corona.  Couldn't really interact with anyone either.  2400 miles is exhausting, go slow if you can, get a good night's sleep (I stayed in motels several nights since the rig isn't really set up for comfortable sleeping yet), and bring music, audiobooks and podcasts!  Good luck!

But not looking foward to over 2,600 miles by myself.
I have insurance and Roadside assistance.....any other advise would be appreciated.

The major problem I have been runing into is foged thermo pane windows....no easy fix...this one is

Thank you
Fishing Fanatic
Jerry

Reply #13
Greetings!

Is there a list of specific issues models have had over the years?  As we look at used models for purchase, I would love to know what to keep in mind per year/model.  I have picked up bits and pieces in discussions.  Wondering if there is a cumulative list I haven't come across yet?

I searched here "issues with changes over the years" and some version of those words.  So far, I found the changes in the model designs, checklist for buying used and things like that.   Bookmarked those - thank you!  Also bookmarked the NADA guides valuation page.

Basically, I'm hoping to not have to bug y'all with:  "What do I need to know about issues with the models of this year?"  every time I find something that may or may not be a good find.   Does that make sense?   :)

Thank you so much!

In Boldness & Gratitude,
Amy, Sebastian & Merkat ,,,^..^,,,
Future Laze Daze owners:  27?, 31IB or 31TB

Reply #14
There are no "issues" with any model. They all share the same features and quality. The differences are only with the floor plan.

In your sig line, you say you expect to get some 2022 model. Good luck with that. If you have not put your deposit down by now, I doubt you will be able to take delivery this year.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #15
To my understanding the two biggest issues for buying a used LD are 1) availability and 2) time a unit remains on the market
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #16
We are in the market for a used model.  I meant we are planning to buy this year.  I removed 2022 from my signature, for clarity sake :)
In Boldness & Gratitude,

Reply #17
Amy, that's a really good idea! I'd love to see a section added to each entry of the "Changes" section of the Lazy Daze Pocket Guide. Just off the top of my head I can think of the following common issues:

* All models through 1989: front overcab window is leak-prone, causing overcab structural damage
* Models using Chevy 350 V8 engine (1981 through 1998): belt failure (hydro boost pump belt most common), overheating resulting in starter failure, exhaust manifold cracking
* All models using carburetors (1967-1988): poor performance at high altitudes
* Some Ford-based models with V10 engines (date range?): spark plugs blowing out of their holes
* Some Ford-based models (date range?): unreliable driveline parking brake can fail, causing transmission damage
 (You'll note that all but one of these are chassis problems, not problems with the Lazy Daze coach.)

I'm sure the more experienced members of this group can add information. Would someone be willing to add an "Issues:" subhead under each model's description in the "Changes" list? This would be a big help to people shopping for used Lazy Dazes!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #18
Amy, that's a really good idea! I'd love to see a section added to each entry of the "Changes" section of the Lazy Daze Pocket Guide. Just off the top of my head I can think of the following common issues:

* All models through 1989: front overcab window is leak-prone, causing overcab structural damage
* Models using Chevy 350 V8 engine (1981 through 1998): belt failure (hydro boost pump belt most common), overheating resulting in starter failure, exhaust manifold cracking
* All models using carburetors (1967-1988): poor performance at high altitudes
* Some Ford-based models with V10 engines (date range?): spark plugs blowing out of their holes
* Some Ford-based models (date range?): unreliable driveline parking brake can fail, causing transmission damage
 (You'll note that all but one of these are chassis problems, not problems with the Lazy Daze coach.)

I'm sure the more experienced members of this group can add information. Would someone be willing to add an "Issues:" subhead under each model's description in the "Changes" list? This would be a big help to people shopping for used Lazy Dazes!

Yes!  This would be SO fantastic.  That is exactly what I was hoping for.  So helpful.  THANK YOU!!!
In Boldness & Gratitude,