Skip to main content
Topic: My (hopefully) soon-to-be New-to-me LD! No sale. Hunt continues. (Read 409 times) previous topic - next topic
My (hopefully) soon-to-be New-to-me LD! No sale. Hunt continues.
1992 23.5 RB  Never towed anything.  Kept in covered storage from 1992-2015. 

I am so grateful to everyone in the forums who so graciously gave their time and patience to a dreamer newbie who didn't know the difference between a Class A, B or C when I started this journey.  You gave me t, the bad and the ugly; just what I needed.  Yeah, so you burst a few of my bubbles. You also saved me from myself.  This is an amazing collection of smart, affable, patient people who share their wisdom to benefit those of us who so desperately need it, whether we think we need it or not!

Next?  If the inspection works out well, I'll need to make some repairs, I'm sure ie. replace valves, hoses, probably tires, etc.  Then, solar!

By the way, I know this engine is not a powerhouse.  I know it's slow going up hills but then, so am I. I understand its limitations but, as long as I can park it almost anywhere, I'm good.  Life is full of trade-offs.:-)

Thank you for all your help.  I would have never found this rig without you.
Save a life.
Adopting a pet is the closest a human
will ever come to choosing a relative.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Re: My (hopefully) soon-to-be New-to-me LD!
Reply #1
What engine does it have 350 or 454?
Lynn and Lori

Reply #2
Unfortunately, it's the 350 but, it has never towed anything, so I'm hoping the engine is in good shape.  I know the ccc is lower, but there also isn't a ton of storage available.  I am going to tow 3500 lbs, at least in the beginning.  We'll see how that goes.
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Reply #3
Can't buy it.  No generator.  This is why they say, never assume.

The hunt continues.
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Re: My (hopefully) soon-to-be New-to-me LD! No sale. Hunt continues.
Reply #4
That could be a blessing. That chev 350 in 1992 is pretty low horsepower. I think for towing a 3500 lb vehicle it would be severely underpowered. Good luck on your continued search.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #5
Unfortunately, it's the 350 but, it has never towed anything, so I'm hoping the engine is in good shape.  I know the ccc is lower, but there also isn't a ton of storage available.  I am going to tow 3500 lbs, at least in the beginning.  We'll see how that goes.
3500-lbs is too much for the 350 to comfortably tow.
I would look for something much lighter, a Honda Fit or other micro car.
If you insist, do install a transmission temperature gauge and consider every cooling system upgrade available.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
1992 chevy G30 chassis with the 350 only has 190 hp. Even the 454 that year only had 230hp. With the 22' LD listed at 10500 lbs add 3500 lb toad plus 1000lbs of other. That poor little 190hp would be moving 15000lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't even reach the speed limit in any kind of hills.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #7
Just for future reference,  I think there may be some "number confusion" between chassis designation and engine size for the rig mentioned in this thread, i.e., a 1992 23.5' (probably a front lounge or front dinette; the "RB" designation applies to the 26.5' rear bath).  According to Andy's "Changes by Year" document, only the 22' on the Chevy G30 chassis had a 350 c.i.d. engine (or a 454); the 23.5' was built on a Ford E350 chassis. (See the info below.)

AFAIK, if the rig in question is a 1992 23.5', it's on a Ford E350 chassis with either a 355 c.i.d. or a 460 c.i.d. engine.

"22' model, Chevrolet G30 chassis, GVWR: 10,500 lb., 350 c.i.d./5.7 liter V8 engine or 454 c.i.d./7.5 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, 4L80E 4-speed auto transmission

23.5' model, Ford E350 chassis, GVWR: 11,500 lb., 355 c.i.d./5.8 liter V8 or 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission

26.5' model, Ford E350 chassis, GVWR: 11,500 lb., 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission"

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Just for future reference,  I think there may be some "number confusion" between chassis designation and engine size for the rig mentioned in this thread, i.e., a 1992 23.5' (probably a front lounge or front dinette; the "RB" designation applies to the 26.5' rear bath).  According to Andy's "Changes by Year" document, only the 22' on the Chevy G30 chassis had a 350 c.i.d. engine (or a 454); the 23.5' was built on a Ford E350 chassis. (See the info below.)

AFAIK, if the rig in question is a 1992 23.5', it's on a Ford E350 chassis with either a 355 c.i.d. or a 460 c.i.d. engine.

"22' model, Chevrolet G30 chassis, GVWR: 10,500 lb., 350 c.i.d./5.7 liter V8 engine or 454 c.i.d./7.5 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, 4L80E 4-speed auto transmission

23.5' model, Ford E350 chassis, GVWR: 11,500 lb., 355 c.i.d./5.8 liter V8 or 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission

26.5' model, Ford E350 chassis, GVWR: 11,500 lb., 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission"

Joan

The picture posted definitely shows a Chevy G30 cab. 
Lynn and Lori

Reply #9
The picture posted definitely shows a Chevy G30 cab. 

Yes, the big "Chevy Van 30" emblem is a dead giveaway!  :D  I can attest to the lack of power with the 350 engine with G30 chassis, even when not towing. It'll get you where you want to go (usually) but it will take awhile!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10
So, the rig in question is NOT a 23.5' as reported in the OP's post, but a 22'. Whatever.... :o

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Not only is it a 22' Chevy G30, but it's also a multi-plan (MP), not a rear bath. Sure, the bathroom *is* in the rear left of the RV, but it also has one-half of the bench seat/window set-up of the twin-king (TK) on the right side. In addition, it has a full time dinette that is very similar to the mid-bath (MB).

It's a very functional floor-plan, especially for a small RV. Today, crappy SOBs which simply "phone it in" utilize the same general floor-plan on even larger class Cs, but without much thought as to utility. For example, they install a permanent bed vs ours (and the TK) fold back in as a couch, and then put in a fixed door across to the bathroom, cutting off all usable space to the very rear of the vehicle starting around the kitchen - a good 6-8'+ lost. (Sure, you can access overhead bins, etc if you want to crawl across the bed.)

But the MP, since the people who designed it @ LD actually cared and thought through the engineering aspects, is highly functional. For example, since the dinette is full time (can be collapsed as an extra bed), the rear table doesn't have to be assembled. That means the entire floor can be walked/accessed to the very rear window (which has a ledge/cup holder just like the TK), making it 'act' much larger than it is. Compare this to the TK, where (walking) rear access is cut-off when the table is up, or the front-dinette, which does have the bathroom in the rear, and by so doing also cuts off full access along the entire length of the floor plan.

We like our '93 MP so much that even if LD came out with a new, smaller 20-22' on the Transit chassis, we'd be hard pressed to pull the trigger unless the floor plan looked very similar to ours. On the plus side, it really is the traditional, super functional shape for Class Cs, so if LD ever did entertain the notion of re-introducing their 20-22' models, I'm pretty sure this is the floor plan they'd offer at that size/weight.

PS As to engine, we had a neighbor with a '90 G30 350 22' FD, and it was a total dog. Our '93 has the 454 EFI, and while it's not a horsepower champ, the torque coupled with the OD transition allows it to charge up grades and then almost fall asleep while in cruise-control on the freeways. We absolutely love it, and won't be selling anytime soon unless LD comes out with a spectacular small Transit model that blows the doors off everyone.

Reply #12
In so very many ways, I'm so happy I didn't buy this. I'll need to read the posts here a few more times to truly understand.  They told me it was 23.5.  geez..
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017