Skip to main content
Topic: "Maintenance and repair...." (Read 342 times) previous topic - next topic
"Maintenance and repair...."
"...you enjoyed using skills most do not have..."
----
I believe that many RV buyers have little grasp of the amount of time, energy, cash, and awareness that that it takes to maintain an RV.  Even if the rig is new and of high initial quality (and most are not), deferred or shoddy maintenance of all the parts which require frequent and diligent attention, i.e., the engine, components, systems, appliances, interior, exterior, any and all after-market add-ons, results in premature wear, deterioration, and time off the road! If the rig is used, and has not been serviced and repaired and had parts replaced when needed, any and all issues will require far more outlay of cash for replacements and skilled repairs to (attempt to) correct past neglect.

Obviously, if a person has the DIY skills, experience, knowledge, tools, and physical ability to maintain the rig and repair and replace parts, it's time and energy consuming, but there's less cash outflow for parts and labor. If an owner doesn't have the time, skills, ability, or knowledge of what needs to be done and when to keep the rig in good shape, IMO, s/he has three choices: pay a shop (mechanic, electrician, etc.) to service, repair, replace, and/or add on components, try to DIY the jobs , then pay a shop for do-overs, or do little or no maintenance or servicing and let the thing deteriorate.

Like many on this board, I've seen plenty of "door #3" situations, and not only with older LDs. I believe that some issues are the result of indifference and/or lack of diligence,  but many problems resulting from deferred maintenance are due to an owner not realizing what needs to be done and when it needs doing. There are a lot more service and maintenance "points" (and not only of the engine and components) that an owner should be aware of, but the basic information in the Ford manual and the Ford maintenance schedules (and, of course, asking questions of this board's "mad skills" mechanics and electricians and LD-savvy people; take notes!) are good starts.

Maintenance Schedules | fleet.ford.com

(Additionally, a Ford truck center has a "job list" of services beyond those on the basic maintenance schedule; this list serves to estimate shop parts/labor charges, but can be a useful supplement to the Ford consumer maintenance schedule IF the shop will share this with the customer. )

Granted, many owners are not going to be climbing on top or scooting under the rig or rooting through the engine compartment, but even if an owner isn't able to or doesn't do the job himself/herself, taking the time and making the effort to learn and be aware of the service and maintenance needs of one's rig can help to avoid unpleasant surprises, at the shop and on the road.

I am very appreciative of having had the opportunity to meet and subsequently pester and brain-pick the vast experience and savvy of some super-skilled and knowledgeable people, and learn at least enough to keep my rig going down the road for over 100k with very few problems.

As ever, YMMV.  :D

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Re: "Maintenance and repair...."
Reply #1
Joan,
Well said.
Thank you for the link!

I think of an RV as: a
Truck with,a
House on board, that carries it's own:
Power Plant, 
Gas Plant, (Propane),
Fresh Water Plant,
Sewage Treatment Plant,
Gray Water Treatment Plant, and 
Solar Power System.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #2
In response to JCT (Joan) about many RV buyers not having a grasp of the amount of time, energy, cash, and awareness that it takes to maintain an RV.   Well, sad to say, I am one of those.   I have a 2002 MB.  In the 15 years of ownership, I have three windows with hairline cracks, cracked front and back end caps, electrolysis corrosion, and there's a lot of rust underneath.  My fault entirely: lack of awareness and diligence.  But, I have purchased a new 2017 MB to be picked up this September.  It's probably going to be a struggle to sell the current one though.  Hard lesson to learn.  But now I know. 
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #3
Glenn, your candid "revelation" is admirable, but I don't know anyone, definitely including me, who hasn't jammed up multiple times along the long RVs/RVing learning curve! As my Mama said regarding her children (and grandchildren), "One just hopes that they reach full brain development without doing permanent damage to themselves!" 

I am very sure that your new LD will be babied to the max!  :D

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
I think RV's are a lot like boats.  You have to like 'fiddling around' with RV's as much as you like traveling with them.  Otherwise the regular maintenance tasks either get neglected or become very expensive. 

In the past few months I have:
-winterized the plumbing
-discovered, cleaned, and replaced a stuck check-valve while winterizing
-replaced the engine battery
-replaced the ADCO cover I use during storage
-run the generator a few times (once a month)
-discovered the RV wouldn't start
-removed the doghouse to do some troubleshooting
-2 trips to the parts store to rent and return a fuel pressure gauge that didn't have the correct fittings anyway
-call coachnet to tow the RV to a mechanic
-explain to coachnet that LazeDaze was in fact a manufacturer of RVs and not the dealer in Florida (Days vs Daze)
-spent time with the mechanic explaining the generator fuel line leak problem I wanted fixed while the tank was dropped

I'm not sure how many hours I've put in since we last actually slept in the RV.  Some of it was expected (ADCO cover, starting battery) and some was not (check-valve, fuel pump).

I've had a streak of bad luck this winter, but  in my opinion you have to enjoy the necessary tasks at least a little bit or the whole experience becomes not worth the hassle.

Incidentally, the good people who share their knowledge in places like this have made many of the tasks easier by sharing their knowledge.  Thank You!

Rich
'03 MB in NC

2003 MB

Reply #5
Joan said her momma said, "One just hopes that they reach full brain development without doing permanent damage to themselves!" 

LOVE it!

My dad used to say, "You pay or your education one way or another."  books/teachers vs. hard knocks

Joan, I like yours better & am adding it to my list of quotes...though I'm still working on the "full brain development"   ;D
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #6
My mama always said "All lessons cost money thank God for the cheap ones"
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King