Skip to main content
Topic: Installing Electric Step, Costs? (Read 246 times) previous topic - next topic
Installing Electric Step, Costs?
We are going to look at a 2001 MB to purchase and it does not have an Electric Step, does anyone know (even a ball park figure) of how much it costs? or had one installed? The Factory does not install them after purchase. Thanks, Sandra
2006 30' IB Anniversary Edition

Re: Installing Electric Step, Costs?
Reply #1
We are going to look at a 2001 MB to purchase and it does not have an Electric Step, does anyone know (even a ball park figure) of how much it costs? or had one installed? The Factory does not install them after purchase. Thanks, Sandra
Installing the step itself should be easy, I believe they use the same bolt mounting pattern as the manual step.
Wiring the door is going to be a pain.
There is the inside control switch to install and wire,  plus a magnetic reed switch that must be sunk into the door frame, used to determine if the door is open of closed.
Surface mount wiring may be useful in mounting the interior wall switch.

Fused power needs to be run to the step's control box and control switch. A wire must be run, to the control box, that becomes 'hot', when the engines's ignition is on. This causes the electric step to automatically retract,  if the engine is started, with the step in the 'out' position.

It's a tough and expensive install, if done cleanly.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Sandra,
I have an electric step in my Lazy Daze (which I purchased used) and it is the one option I would not have paid for if I bought new.  The LD is a 2014 and the step almost immediately failed.  After disassembling and re-assembling it three times, cleaning and lubing all of the joints,  motor gear, and connections, it worked properly for exactly 1/2 of one trip.  Then if failed again and we were back to a step stool.

I just replaced the motor ($65.00) and it is working again.  I suspect that this item will be a frequent failure feature.

If I had my druthers, I'd stick with the manual step.

YMMV.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #3
Sandra,

When we placed the order for our '15 RB, one of my first questions to Todd in regards to the electric step option was, "How long does it take for the step to extend"?

His response if I remember correctly was "A few seconds". Just long enough for my DW to remember to extend it or think it had done so and fall to the ground below. Having a friends DW fall and take a critical injury in a SOB RV, I was not going to risk my wife's life over a convenience that may or may not function properly.

That being said, I can understand the need for such a device for an individual. For me, the practice of extending and retracting the step manually is a non-issue.

On the '15 LD there is a dummy light on the dash to warn of the steps extension. Couple that with some  common sense practices and a manual step has worked fine for us.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Sandra,
I have an electric step in my Lazy Daze (which I purchased used) and it is the one option I would not have paid for if I bought new.  The LD is a 2014 and the step almost immediately failed.  After disassembling and re-assembling it three times, cleaning and lubing all of the joints,  motor gear, and connections, it worked properly for exactly 1/2 of one trip.  Then if failed again and we were back to a step stool.

I just replaced the motor ($65.00) and it is working again.  I suspect that this item will be a frequent failure feature.

If I had my druthers, I'd stick with the manual step.

YMMV.
Harold
Over the 15 year history of this forum, the subject of electric vs manual step has come up modestly. I would  estimate that 95% of the folks who have the electric step think it's the best thing since sliced bread. OTH, I would estimate that 95% of the folks who travel with a manual step would never want an electric step. Over this period of time there have been a handful of questions about failing electric steps. I was one of those inquirers and replaced the motor. Moral of the story? It is nearly impossible to get an unbiased answer about an electric step.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Moral of the story? It is nearly impossible to get an unbiased answer about an electric step.
Chris

I love my electric step but ....   never and I mean never do anything that might lead to a replacement.  

That back story --  we tend to 'camp' deep in the woods or desert.   Seems we got a bit of sand and dirt in the step parts under rv .  The step only went in/out half way.   On my trip to the factory to have it looked and repaired the portion of the step still out got into a small fight with my front porch.     The porch won.   New step  cost $753.16.     

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
Over the 15 year history of this forum, the subject of electric vs manual step has come up modestly. I would  estimate that 95% of the folks who have the electric step think it's the best thing since sliced bread. OTH, I would estimate that 95% of the folks who travel with a manual step would never want an electric step. Over this period of time there have been a handful of questions about failing electric steps. I was one of those inquirers and replaced the motor. Moral of the story? It is nearly impossible to get an unbiased answer about an electric step.

Chris
As Larry says, owning an RV is not cheap.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
I had a manual step in my first Lazy Daze, and I have an electric step in this one (both purchased used). While the electric step is slightly more convenient, I know that sooner or later it will fail. When it does, I'll install a manual step. Simple and reliable are good things in my book, and deploying the manual step is a snap.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
When ordering our LD, my height challenged wife insisted on the electric step.
In 14 years, it has suffered from a jammed gear box, a seized  motor, a corroded main plug and a bad magnetic reef switch.
The best time was when the step's motor froze up, leaving the step extended, did I mention it was and had been raining for days and we wanted to go home?  Good times.
If your rig has an electric step, cleaning and buttering the main plug's contact with dielectric grease will help prevent problems..
Frequent lubrication, as shown in the step's manual, will also help keep it running longer.
Try to stay out of deep, dirty water. Neither the motor or gearbox are sealed well.
Know where the step's two fuses are located and carry spares.

And always look down, when opening the coach door, to verify the step has actually extended.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Gee, "very interesting answers". My first LD 1999 MB, we bought in 2003 did not have an electric step but the 2006 30IB ordered new we did get it. We really liked having the electric step but in 2015 it went out and we ordered a new motor from Factory and our Mechanic installed it. I have Spinal Arthritis that causes my legs problems and to be weak so the electric step is good for me.
2006 30' IB Anniversary Edition

Reply #10
I am firmly in the electric step camp. Unless you always exit from a cab door and walk back to deploy the manual step, how do you deal with exiting and that high first step? Especially as your hair turns gray?

I remember Ed Newton telling me an electric step was another item we didn't need (like a gas and electric water heater); how you could have problems with it, yada yada, yada.....We returned to Ohio and placed our order a couple months later. Two months into the 8 month wait, we were thinking "IF the electric step is that problematic, WHY is it standard on the 31'ers?" Yup, we called and made the order change to include the step. Nice of them to not charge us the "order change fee".

I June 2003, when we flew out to pick up our rig, my wife was wearing a fracture boot on her leg. So freaking glad we got that option! We don't need to do anything that increases the odds of something like a broken ankle/leg these days.

Big deal, I lube the step every month or two. Small price to pay. If I eliminated everything in my life that needs maintenance or might be a headache if it breaks, I may as well give it all up and become Amish :)

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #11
"... (like a gas and electric water heater); how you could have problems with it..."

I asked for one of those, thinking 'how much could a wire run and a circuit breaker cost', and was dumbstruck when Steve Newton said they would NOT do it. Not that the two units (gas only vs gas + electric) were different in physical size (they are not) but just because 'we don't do it that way'. Go figure!   >:(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!