Skip to main content
Topic: Buying sight unseen (Read 624 times) previous topic - next topic
Buying sight unseen
I'd like to get everyone's take on buying a rig (1991-2000) sight unseen. It seems to happen a lot, as far as I can tell.  Would you do it, or absolutely not do it?  Has anyone done it and regretted it?

Thanks.

Mimi
Save a life.
Adopting a pet is the closest a human
will ever come to choosing a relative.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Re: Buying sight unseen
Reply #1
I would not buy anything used unseen. Not a smart choice in my book.
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #2
"I'd like to get everyone's take on buying a rig (1991-2000) sight unseen. It seems to happen a lot, as far as I can tell.  Would you do it, or absolutely not do it?  Has anyone done it and regretted it?"

We've done it - twice.  In late 2002, we bought our Sportsmobile from someone in Washington State completely sight unseen.  We had a few pictures to go by.  BUT . . . this was done through the Previously Owned area at the Sportsmobile website.  The unit had been built by the Fresno factory, so we were given all of the original plans.  We knew that the owner was a somewhat elderly doctor who did weekend trips, mostly, with just his dog.  It seemed, and turned out to be, a safe and useful way to buy the unit.  We had it delivered by an auto carrier to the tune of $998. in shipping costs.  The financial dealings were completely handled through Sportsmobile, who charged $1,000..  They may have received another amount from the seller; I don't know about that.  But everything went super smoothly.

Additionally, in 2009, we bought our current 2005 Lazy Daze RB, also sight unseen, from a dealer (Holland Motor Homes) in San Diego, California.  They are not dealers in many Class C units, it appeared.  We negotiated back and forth for about a week, and finally a deal was struck wherein they would send a driver with the Lazy Daze to deliver it to us here in Arizona, and pick up our 40-foot Newmar DP as a trade-in. 

We sent an electronic transfer of funds in advance of delivery, and relied on their integrity.  When the driver arrived, we all went to the local MVD office, and he handed over the title to do the rest of the paperwork.  It went very smoothly - from our end. 

Unfortunately in all of the confusion of handing over the Newmar to the driver, we forgot to give him my husband's keys and had to mail them overnight.  To make matters worse, there was some problem with the Newmar's engine (I've forgotten the details) on the way back to San Diego, and the driver could not get into the diesel engine compartment at the back of the rig.  He had to spend the night on the side of the road somewhere!

So, it shows that there CAN be problems with this sort of thing - even from the seller's side.  Holland was most kind in all of their dealings with us, and never showed any sign of irritation at the problems that we had caused.  Although, it worked out nicely both times, I'm not sure I would be brave enough to do it again.

I don't think I would hesitate to do a deal with someone well known from this list, but with a private party who is unknown to you . . . ???  Well, that's another story.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #3
I'd like to get everyone's take on buying a rig (1991-2000) sight unseen. It seems to happen a lot, as far as I can tell.  Would you do it, or absolutely not do it?  Has anyone done it and regretted it?

Thanks.

Mimi

If there is a survey function on this forum, this would be a good survey question . . .

My answer is NO!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
I have bought sight unseen twice on ebay.  Both rigs were older, relatively well described and photographed.  I contacted both sellers before bidding. The question I always ask, " Will it make 2000 miles home tomorrow ?" Listen between the words for their response.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
From a slightly different perspective, I have sold a VW vanagon ($19k) to someone over 2,000 miles away, sight unseen and transported from my home.  I accommodated the purchaser with video. 

It all went smoothly for me, but went beyond the normal seller obligations as I was surprised that someone would take such a risk.  It was sold through a dedicated forum which I believe can give some reassurance.

In a competitive market and the right circumstances I would consider buying sight unseen.

Matt

Reply #6
My vote is no.  I have been nearly there, but not able to  convincemyself it is a good idea. I have and would  drive hundreds of miles to see a prospect. Even days of it can be arranged that the item will not be sold out from under me. But I have to see and as important, smell an RV before buying. 

We had a check in hand on one, made the 600 mile drive, and ooooooo- eeeee,  it smelled so bad inside I couldn't get the stink off me or out of my truck for a week. No exaggeration. What a nightmare.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #7
I have bought sight unseen twice on ebay.  Both rigs were older, relatively well described and photographed.  I contacted both sellers before bidding. The question I always ask, " Will it make 2000 miles home tomorrow ?" Listen between the words for their response.
How did that work out for you?  How long did you keep them?  Any surprises?
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Reply #8
My vote is no. 
We had a check in hand on one, made the 600 mile drive, and ooooooo- eeeee,  it smelled so bad inside I couldn't get the stink off me or out of my truck for a week. No exaggeration. What a nightmare.
Well there's something that I didn't consider.  You can smell rot even if you can't see it.  If you offer a deposit and upon arrival notice that the rig stinks from something unsavory, how do you get your deposit back?
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #9
Buying from a dealer is safer - especially with the 3 day cancellation clauses most states have (the dealer is not going to just disappear, well hopefully not).

Private party - I would not buy sight unseen unless I had reputable people check it out for me (chassis & coach).

I bought a car and took it to a mechanic where the car was that was recommended to me.  That mechanic did miss about $800 of repairs needed right away (things my mechanic could easily show me so should have been caught).    But better than nobody looking at it.

Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #11
Our local consignment lot does a very good job. They take no responsibility for warrantee, but they do an excellent inspection and evaluation prior to putting an RV on the lot. Long term RV dealer retired to an easier life as a parts/repair/storage/consignment business.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Greg, just meaning that a dealer is not going to disappear where as a private seller could. With both you still gotta check out the rig.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #13
Mimi,
I am mechanically. Inclined and I still have both of them.  Both were eBay buys.
The "1991 B" (Coachman M 19 RB Viking top Van) I have had for 2 years and 10,000 miles, 70,000 total.  The "B" was an adventure driving 2000 miles home  paid $7000 and spent $1000 in tank vent hose, coolant hose and fuel pump repairs on the way home, Mostly a repair of a previous bad repairs.  Replaced the pressure vacuum vent in the main tank and Smog tested.  Spent $3000 on exhaust manifolds, intake coolant leak repairs a year later.   I had to reseal Herr windows, re putty faucets,base to cabinet. Gravity fill hose leak( Recar?? workman ship issue). I am the 4th owner,plus Van City and #1 Recar.

The 1988 LD I purchased in November  I knew it would need tires and batteries. As it had been sitting.    I  immediately resealed the roof, as it is now raining on  SF Bay Area. I inspected before handing over the payment. The owner about died when I walked on the roof.  I manually forced the generator to run, breaker off, then continued to adjust for 4 hours of time.  The escape hatch lid and shower dome cracks leaked along with an exterior refrigerator door frame leak, and a fresh water leak.  I had to replace the "in tank" fuel pump.

Yes, buying an older rig sight in seen is risky.  Have I regretted it?  No.  I kind of enjoyed the challenge.  I do it or decide to hire the repair out.  No payments.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #14
As a continuance,  because I was buying older units,  I expected roof leaks, water leaks, tires, batteries, hoses, and belts.  The goal was buy for less than $ 10,000 cash. I also walked away from four class "C " rigs before buying the "B".  I looked two years for the LD of choice MB with Twin/ King bed arraingement.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #15
As a reflection of your posts, I know the danger in buying an old rig lies in what you can't see, but that is sure to present a problem later.  I'm not  beyond being able to make some repairs, but major repairs are a different story.  In order to avoid that, I can't go too old.  You wanted to pay less than 10K.  I want to pay less than 8k for a 20 year old rig.  I don't think that's unreasonable, but some seller's do.  It reminds me of things I have inherited that mean nothing to strangers, but are quite valuable to me.  What can one do?  Any low offer would be offensive, so I'm looking at everything right now.

Like you, I've walked away from several Class A's, B's and C's over the last year.  I'm a bit disheartened at this point. I've started looking at boats! I have a friend who has been living on a sail boat for 14 years and still loves every minute of it. :-)

Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #16

Like you, I've walked away from several Class A's, B's and C's over the last year.  I'm a bit disheartened at this point. I've started looking at boats! I have a friend who has been living on a sail boat for 14 years and still loves every minute of it. :-)

Mimi, you don't necessarily need a boat or RV to live the lifestyle, just the desire. There's a whole lotta folks already doing it in a variety of vehicles!

Cheap RV Living.com-Blog

Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17
Mimi, you don't necessarily need a boat or RV to live the lifestyle, just the desire. There's a whole lotta folks already doing it in a variety of vehicles!

Cheap RV Living.com-Blog

I've been watching some of Bob's and Jamie's videos on Youtube.  It's a wonderful thing to see folks so happy.  Bob and Jamie do so much for so many people.  I'd like to meet them.  Me, I'm headed in a slightly different direction at the moment.  Soon I will be spending several months with relatives in Denmark. After that, some time in Paris and Sweden.  When I return, I hope to have an RV or boat or something that will allow me to travel, rock hunt and explore the US down to Patagonia and back.  I will find my rig and it will be a rig that can be repaired by anyone along the way.  I'm hoping it will be a LD.
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #18
I agree with others who recommended a camper van for now. The move-in price will be a lot less than a used LD that is dependable enough for a trip like that. More manoeuverable, better mpg, and you may be more likely to find mechanics south of the US who can still fix an 80s vintage engine with a carb, as opposed to the fuel injected, computerized starships of the 90s and beyond.

fu
2015 TK
fu
2015TK

Reply #19
"  I want to pay less than 8k for a 20 year old rig.  I don't think that's unreasonable, but some seller's do.  It reminds me of things I have inherited that mean nothing to strangers, but are quite valuable to me.  What can one do?  "

One way to determine if your $8K amount is going to fly would be to go to a large RV sales lot and do a "reversal" on the salesman.  Ask to be shown rigs that can be had for your stated amount, and then see what they look like.  With persistence, you may be able to wheedle the price point of a given, higher-priced rig, down to $8K.  This will give you a window onto the difference between Lazy Daze and other brands in this age and cost bracket.

When we were shopping for our first full-sized RV (1986), I was fortunate enough to live in The San Francisco Bay area with access to many such RV lots.  Over the course of several years, I spent many of my weekends haunting those lots.  We also rented about six or seven different-sized rigs over the course of about three or four years while owning a perfectly good Volkswagen Westfalia camper, just to get the feel of how we might take to a larger unit, and what size might be useful for our needs and comfort.

This rental period was also a test bed for quality.  I spent a lot of time on these trips focussing on what "problems" with rental units were inherent to being used, perhaps carelessly, by various people, and which problems were quality deficiencies.  This was very enlightening. 

We rented Holiday Rambler, Tioga (Fleetwood) - 2 different lengths - and Winnebago brands that I can remember.  We were testing out lengths as well as quality.  We rented 24-foot, 28-foot, and 30-foot units. 

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/rentFrame.aspx?ddlLocations=CAS&ddlLocationsForCity=CAS%2CLOCLAX%2CCONu&start_date=02%2F14%2F2017&pickup_time=DEFAULT&end_date=02%2F17%2F2017&return_time=02%2F14%2F2017&HotDealsCode=&allOptions=&pickup_state=CAS&pickup_loc=LAX&pickup_date=02%2F14%2F17&return_date=02%2F17%2F17&show_rates=1<d_avail_phone_no=800-671-8042&block_down=&block_return=1

We also had access to inspect a cabover camper on a pick-up truck when my son and his wife several times joined us on trips.  They used this combination only once, though.  Way too cramped for even two people on a week's vacation.  After that initial foray with the truck, and then a 24-foot unit, they went to a 28-foot Class C for subsequent visits.

Renting a unit, even for just a weekend, might provide valuable information for you.  I just cruised over to Cruise America (this is where we rented from quite happily way back when) and it appears that one can acquire a three night-rental, with 300 miles of travel, and tax, for less than $300.00 for a 25-foot unit.  Surprisingly, the yet-shorter units are more expensive and less readily available.  Your own automobile insurance should cover that aspect of a short rental.  Ours always did, but we had to bring proof of same by way of a confirmation letter from our agent.  I don't know if this is still the case, though.

It looks as though you are many months away from actually needing a unit, and if you are going to be out of the country for several months, perhaps you won't be selling your current home for a while . . . the entire market of used units will likely be different from what you are seeing now by the time half a year or more has passed.

I have friends in Denmark, and have often wished to be able to spend time there, as it seems a fascinating place.  I hope it will be summer by the time you are in Sweden!

Do I read correctly that you wish to drive your vehicle to Patagonia?  Is this the Patagonia that is in Arizona, or the one in Chile?  Undertaking a trip down to the tip of South America is quite a goal!  Another member of our group, who doesn't seem to post now, did a similar trip in an older unit.  Perhaps someone will be able to come up with a URL to those adventures.  I think you would find it most enlightening to read.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:     Sprouted Onion

Reply #20

Surprisingly, the yet-shorter units are more expensive and less readily available.

My understanding is that this is the current trend in RV's, shorter is better, for whatever reasons. I certainly see advantages to that way of thinking.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
"My understanding is that this is the current trend in RV's, shorter is better, for whatever reasons. I certainly see advantages to that way of thinking."

The floor plan(s) shown for the shorter units looked like a playhouse for a child.  I can imagine it being suitable for one, perhaps two, very compatible people, but if there are children/pets . . . OY!

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/compact_rv.aspx

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #22
We recently bought a 2005 LD 26.5 Rear Kitchen model, sight unseen, after seeing it advertised on this forum. The entire process was easy -- no surprises -- and we are very happy with our purchase. I also purchased a Mini Cooper through Ebay several years ago. It was exactly as described and pictured. I wouldn't buy everything sight unseen, but when it comes  to vehicles,you can do research without being there. Get the carfax, ask for at least  20 or 30 good hi res pictures, ask for a complete description and service history and inquire about any problems.  Once you have had two conversations with the owner, I think you will have a good sense of how straightforward they are being. Then, take a leap of faith.
Les Campbell and Marianne Rude (and Ralph the French Bulldog)

Reply #23
"Do I read correctly that you wish to drive your vehicle to Patagonia?  Is this the Patagonia that is in Arizona, or the one in Chile?  Undertaking a trip down to the tip of South America is quite a goal!  Another member of our group, who doesn't seem to post now, did a similar trip in an older unit.  Perhaps someone will be able to come up with a URL to those adventures.  I think you would find it most enlightening to read."

That would be the unsinkable Tessa Hill at tessahill.blogspot.com. You will have many hours ( or days) following this remarkable woman's adventures!  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #24
"  I want to pay less than 8k for a 20 year old rig.  I don't think that's unreasonable, but some seller's do.  It reminds me of things I have inherited that mean nothing to strangers, but are quite valuable to me.  What can one do?  "

I have friends in Denmark, and have often wished to be able to spend time there, as it seems a fascinating place.  I hope it will be summer by the time you are in Sweden!

Do I read correctly that you wish to drive your vehicle to Patagonia?  Is this the Patagonia that is in Arizona, or the one in Chile?

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
 Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:    Sprouted Onion
I hope to have everything prepared for when I return to the US from my travels.  The house will be sold and the RV will await my return.  Having spent time in a 26' rv, albeit a short time, I decided that, for me, the ease of parking in a parking lot and getting gas far outweighed my need for the additional 3' of space.  I may change my mind later, but I'm going with this right now.  I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to get my 70lb pooch into the overhead cab bed! ;-)  Hopefully, I've found my RV.  I'm just awaiting a call from the RV inspection service to arrange the date.  The sellers are holding the rig for me.  A wonderful couple.  Really nice folks.  I owe a huge debt of gratitude to you Judie and everyone in this forum who endured my process to building rv acumen.  I was relentless in trying to get a handle on this rv business and most of you were patient and helpful.  Thank you so much.  I've learned a great deal and have much more to learn, as well.  Hopefully it will  be less painful for everyone, going forward.

You should go Judie.  It's a beautiful part of Europe, as you know.  I love Scandinavia.  I don't think the Winters are that bad, though I would prefer to go in the Summer.  I'm entertaining the idea of renting an RV and driving through Europe to Gibraltar with a friend, but that's for another day.:-)  Patagonia, Chile.  I've wanted to make that drive for years.

Mimi
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017