Skip to main content
Topic: Deposit buying a Lazy Daze long distance? (Read 367 times) previous topic - next topic
Deposit buying a Lazy Daze long distance?
How much would you pay when purchasing a LD long distance to hold it until you go and see it? Example, $20,000 agreed purchase price? Thanks Sandra
2006 30' IB Anniversary Edition

Re: Deposit buying a Lazy Daze long distance?
Reply #1
What happens to your deposit if you go see it and decide not to buy it for some reason?

Ed

Reply #2
This wasn't a Lazy Daze but my airstream was several states away (similar price range) and I paypaled the seller $1000 to take it off the market and give us time to travel there. We had an agreed to price based on everything being as represented (or renegotiate on the spot if not), seller was a member of a similar forum so I saw he maintained it well, and he gave me a lot of current photos to judge by. It was ok in our case but I know it was risky, what if there were problems after driving 700 miles! Write up a little contract saying deposit refundable if rig not as represented and you can't come to an agreement, of course only good if all parties are honest to begin with! Good luck, don't send more than you're willing to walk away from.
98 MB

Reply #3
In my opinion, providing a deposit to a long-distance private seller before inspection is a landmine.  I know of many incidents from family and friends of long-distance deals that went bad under these same circumstances.

On the other hand, if you have reliable information or knowledge that the sellers are above reproach, or if you have had the RV inspected by a qualified professional and are satisfied with the report, or if the sellers are known to others on this Forum, then I might proceed with a modest deposit.

The deal we made with our long-distance LD sellers was we'd provide an exact time and place to meet and if we didn't arrive for any reason, then the sellers should consider the next offer.  The sellers agreed and we left within 48 hours for a 1200 mile round trip.  I think a deposit comes into play when the buyer wants to wait until next month or a longer period of time and expects the seller to hold off accepting any other offers. 

If all else fails and I was still intent on following up on this LD, I might consider a $500 deposit knowing that I might not get it back.   I've heard and read about some companies that offer an Escrow service to help protect potential buyers, but I can't offer any recommendations.  So that might be something for the OP to explore.

Again, my suggestions and guidance on this matter are based on just me point of view.  Best of luck to the OP.

Reply #5
We put a $1000 deposit on our long-distance LD to hold it, but that was after a local relative had already gone out to look at it in person for us.  We made the deposit, bought one-way airline tickets, and drove the LD back home 2000 miles without incident!  :o   :)

Too bad we had to winterize it as soon as we got home.  We're just itching to get it all ready for spring and start using it!
2003 23.5 TK

Reply #6
All your responses were so helpful in us deciding what to do... the Seller wanted a $4000.00 check mailed to him to hold it, then he was willing to go down to $1000.00. But my husband just couldn't let go of that much money. So we are rearranging our life to drive there by Tuesday afternoon to see it.
2006 30' IB Anniversary Edition

Reply #7
All your responses were so helpful in us deciding what to do... the Seller wanted a $4000.00 check mailed to him to hold it, then he was willing to go down to $1000.00. But my husband just couldn't let go of that much money. So we are rearranging our life to drive there by Tuesday afternoon to see it.

Wonderful news ... and I'm betting both of you are relieved at this outcome.  Well done future LD Owners!

Reply #8
Sandra,

Wise move to hit the road for a look-see.

The only way I'd be willing to place a cash deposit that large on anything would be if a third party arbitrator were involved, like a bank or attorney. Anywhere but in the sellers grubby little hands. (No offense to any LD sellers out there, but $4,000 is a TON of money even $1000 is huge in my book).

I certainly hope everything works out.

Remember to breath on your drive out there.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #9
"The only way I'd be willing to place a cash deposit that large on anything would be if a third party arbitrator were involved, like a bank or attorney. Anywhere but in the sellers grubby little hands. (No offense to any LD sellers out there, but $4,000 is a TON of money even $1000 is huge in my book)."
----
My thoughts, too. I hope there's a positive outcome to this "earnest money" deal, and I also hope that there's an enforceable agreement in place to get your money back from the seller in case the rig turns out to be unsatisfactory.

Some people are honest, but many are not, and see nothing wrong with collecting "deposits" from multiple would-be buyers, pocketing the cash, and then selling to the highest bidder. I would not trust an unknown seller's ethics with a hefty cash deposit, but YMMV.

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Amazing that earnest money requests for an RV are so high.

If a seller commit to a buyer for a specific reasonable timeframe and another seller comes along what happened to simply taking buyer number two's phone and calling them if the first deal falls through? Seems like simple common courtesy.

As hot as decent LDs sell its not like a buyer can expect only one offer in a blue moon. Unless...the rig doesn't show as well as it lists.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #11
Amazing that earnest money requests for an RV are so high.

If a seller commit to a buyer for a specific reasonable timeframe and another seller comes along what happened to simply taking buyer number two's phone and calling them if the first deal falls through? Seems like simple common courtesy.

As hot as decent LDs sell its not like a buyer can expect only one offer in a blue moon. Unless...the rig doesn't show as well as it lists.
We had an arrangement to look at a Lazy Daze about 4 hours from our house and halfway there the seller calls to say he just sold it to someone else. Needless to say we were upset he wasted our time and money. The one we bought the seller agreed to let us see it first and to hold off scheduling other buyers until afterwards, that was after we offered a deposit to hold it until we could come later in the week and explained the prior experience.

A flip story, when I sold my Airstream the first buyer was from Canada. I took a deposit to take it off the market and gave him some time to arrange pick up, after 10 days without any progress towards retrieving the rig I cancelled the deal and refunded the deposit. I had local interest, I needed the money shortly and the guy didn't have any clue how to get it home.
98 MB

Reply #12
My international sales experience hasn't been positive.

I advertised a powerful and very fast four year old Italian sportbike for sale last year.  It was a real hooligan bike and I am, sadly,  no longer a hooligan on a bike.  A buyer from Canada called and wanted the bike.  I told him it was a face to face, cash deal only.  After seeing the bike on Face Time, receiving all of the photographs he requested, and inspecting all of the receipts, he offered to fly to San Diego and bring CASH, as in American cash, in an envelope. His intention was to buy the bike and ship it home to use for track days.
We returned early from a road trip, picked him up at the airport.  He had a small bag of gear and said his plan was to get on the bike and ride it to San Francisco, about 475 miles away, leaving at night.  I explained that Italian sportbikes do not have saddlebags or racks.  Hmmmm...
As soon as we arrived at our home and opened the garage, he started complaining about the bike.  The tires weren't new (he knew this), there was a dull patch on the frame (he had seen it in the Face Time), etc.  He then said that the envelope he was carrying had a cashiers check (from an unknown-to-me bank), not cash, and he wanted me to give him cash back to compensate him for the perceived problems with the bike and sign over the title and let him ride off on the bike.
I told him he had two choices.  Call a taxi or I would drop him on the curb at the airport, but he had to pay for my gas in cash.  After briefly whining about how far he had traveled, he took the latter.  The next buyer brought cash and rode the bike away.

Scamsters are getting more and more gutsy and am growing less trusting with experience.  And to think we returned home early from a trip...
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #13
"Scamsters are getting more and more gutsy and am growing less trusting with experience. "

Spidey sense tingling big time.  I don't think I would have ridden alone (or even accompanied, for that matter) in a vehicle with someone who would try to pull off such a thing.  A hidden weapon could have procured him a vehicle and left you on the side of the road, hopefully still breathing in and out on a regular basis.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #14
Even a scamster would be embarrassed to steal our old and well worn Toyota minivan.  One of my students told me that when women see me driving the minivan, they suspect I have no sex appeal.  (Would you have ever said that to a teacher when you were in high school?)  I told the kid that after 37 years of marriage, they are probably right. 

We also had Toby the German Shepherd riding in the back.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #15

"...One of my students told me that when women see me driving the minivan, they suspect I have no sex appeal...

...We also had Toby the German Shepherd riding in the back..."

Never underestimate the true appeal of a well worn minivan. And a friendly dog is often a deal clincher.

Back in the 70's my older brother had returned home after serving in the Coast Guard in Depot Bay Oregon.

Upon his return he put his Honda 750 up for sale. Trusting soul that my brother is the first person interested in the bike road quickly off into the sunset.

My brothers pockets were not lined with gold and his heart was broken. To this day, I feel very bad for his learning experience. None of us ever spoke of it again.

His lesson, however, was mine and I have always been suspicious of anyone who might be offering me the "deal of a lifetime".

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"