Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing shower skylight and escape hatch lid (Read 316 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing shower skylight and escape hatch lid
Though listed as a newbie, we have had our 2000 LD IB since 2005 and have managed most everything fine. I've not followed the forum for some time.

We have just received the skylight and escape lid from the Mothership for replacement before our summer travels.  (the current ones look like they are covered with bandaids of Eternabond!)  I'm thinking they need replacement after being exposed to the AZ sun except for summer travels for 11 years.  Any words of wisdom?  Probably will not tackle this myself for the first time. TIA.  Norma  Taylor

Re: Replacing shower skylight and escape hatch lid
Reply #1
The escape hatch lid should be replaceable without removing the fixed frame. I just did mine on a '88 MB. It was a Elixir new style.
1. Crank  open couple of inches
2. Open hatch
3. Lay stick or broom between screen and frame to prevent screen latching closed.
4. Take new lid, Phillips screw drivers, utility knife, alcohol paper towel, etc. on roof.
5. Remove 4 screws holding the center bar to lid.
6. Reach in crank lid open furthur and cut foam seals to separate center bar from lid.
7.  Separate bar and lid.
8. Pull bar from actuator.
9. Open lid straight up and remove screws from stationary hinge.
10. Hold lid straight up and slide to side to remove lid.
Assembly is reverse of removal. Alcohol and paper towel is to clean oil from the lid before installing new seal strip.

Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #2
The new shower skylight. Did yours  come with the metal frame attached?
The '88 MB looks like it uses a Jensen 22" escape hatch plastic lid and non hinge fixed frame sides.  Mothership says they make them, but mine is no longer available.  How does your look?
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #3
The shower skylight is the dome and attached frame, but the inside frame does not need to be changed.  Directions include how to remove old dome, and screws holding it, then drilling holes to attach new one.  "Old' screw holes would only be coincidentally used.  New weather strip, (bulb gasket) keeps unit dry.  New plastic dome was made specifically for LD and is supposed to last"25" years, I was told.  Not an inexpensive change-out, but looks like it should work.  Very detailed instructions.  Not sure when I will be able to have installed, but will keep you posted.

Reply #4
I did both two years ago. As you State, the instructions for the dome are detailed and if you follow them you will be good. A couple old holes were used . These turned out to be a little a kilter and I turned out liking that as in my mind having some "digging in" at different angles keeps it seated. Our RK is like the MB in that the bath vent makes the screw in the middle facing the front impossible to go in at a 90 degree angle. Again, this one going in at an angle and digging into the metal is good for seating.

The hatch on the 2004 is secured by rivets. I am not a master riveter but this was pretty straightforward if you can use a drill (needed to put the holes in the lid, MEASURE TWICE, DRILL ONCE) and the riveter.

Good luck. It worked out for me but I would have had a pro do it if I had any faith in any local shop which I don't. Thank God I have an LD that doesn't break too often!!!!
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #5
Thanks for the comments on replacement.  I, too, am an amateur riveter and do have the tool.  Think I have faith in a couple of RV guys to call on tho.  Don't do roofs much anymore.