Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical panel/GFCI (Read 325 times) previous topic - next topic
Electrical panel/GFCI
Hi everyone,

A question about my electrical panel. Periodically, the GFCI has been tripping, leaving everything but the 12V receptacles working.  I've managed to reset it, but now I'm unable to do so. Noticed that it is tripping both with when plugged into shore power and when the generator is running.  Had it evaluated and the place said everything was fine (and it worked for a time after that--but this repair place has messed up some other work, so I'm not sure how much to trust their opinion on this issue). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Pam and Jim
2003 MB

Re: Electrical panel/GFCI
Reply #1
Peppe, I am a bit confused.  I was of the belief that GFCI controlled the 120v rather than the 12v.  If you meant 120v, and left out the 0, I will offer a few thoughts, none of which I am certain about.  First, if you repeatedly tripped the GFCI system, it sounds like something in the circuit is feeding voltage to neutral, tripping the GFCI.  It could be an intermittent problem, triggered by anything using the circuit, either hard wired or plugged in.  Second, I was told by a friend recently that when GFCI outlets are repeatedly tripped, they become unable to hold and need to be replaced.  Third, I recently had problems with my GFCI circuit.  It turns out, I was overloading the line, putting as much as 18 amps on the 15 amp circuit.  When I took the GFCI outlet out, the neutral line connection had clearly overheated.

So - I would start by checking the load for everything that you have plugged in or hard wired on that circuit.  Add up the loads and make sure the total is well below 15 amps or 1800 watts.  Next, examine each device.  If you find nothing that looks wrong, replace the GFCI outlet if that was popping, or if the breaker was popping, replace it.  Then, re-connect one device at a time and run it for a day or two, using the device repeatedly to try to trigger a fault.

I don't know if that will help, but that is how I went after mine.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Electrical panel/GFCI
Reply #2
Since no replies so far, I'll just say that the simplest diagnostic would be to replace the GFI breaker, easy enough to do on your own. If the new one doesn't cure the issue, then you will need to isolate what is using that circuit and disconnect (guessing the fridge).

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit