Skip to main content
Topic: What's the latest recommendations on GPS devices/apps? (Read 248 times) previous topic - next topic
What's the latest recommendations on GPS devices/apps?
Hi folks,

By way of background info.  My wife Carol and I both have recent iPhones (6 and 7, respectively).  We both have Verizon data plans.  And we've ordered a booster amplifier for our cell phones, so we hope to have decent connectivity on the road (we went with a WeBoost system from 3G-Store -- folks there are very helpful).  Anyways, that is just to set the case that we should have decent connectivity (but not guaranteed, of course). 

So here's my question -- do we also want a dedicated GPS system?  Or maybe a GPS app with a downloadable map for our iPhone?  And if either of those, which ones?  Things seem to be changing quickly.  A while ago, I figured for sure I would just get an app, but when I did a quick review of them, and everyone seems to be complaining that the companies have significantly dumbed them down (I suspect to improve their future revenue streams).  Some folks were apoplectic on how bad they had become.

So if you had to buy now, and you had an decent iPhone (or late-model GPS-enabled iPad), what would you buy?  Ideally, specifically what brand/model of dedicated GPS would you recommend or what GPS-mapping App would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.  I plan to pull the trigger in the next day or two, and welcome any pointers for further research.  And I'll be happy to report back on my lessons learned (as well as with the amplifier).

S-
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Re: What's the latest recommendations on GPS devices/apps?
Reply #1
My next phone will be the iPhone 7+.  I load a Garmin app.  There are other mapping and navigation apps out there, but I like and know Garmin.  I will also be carrying a standalone GPS so having only one operating system just makes life simpler.  On our 07 LD we  will soon be replacing the radio with one that supports Apple Carplay.  Apple Carplay  allows the radio's face to show what is on the face of the phone.  Similar programing for other smart phones.  
  In the arena of stand alone GPS, for now my next one will also be a Garmin as outlined above.  They have one that is programed with RV in mind.  It allows you to avoid tunnels where natural gas containers are prohibited (the Baltimore Harbor tunnels for example) or where overhead clearance is lower than a height you tell the program.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #2
John ,

Following - radio that you choose. Thanks

Reply #3
I was listing for an old Rand McNally device my brother uses, to get the features of programming an RV friendly route.

But then Copilot got their act together and took care of the upgrade problems they had. It is now my go-to map app on the iPhone and iPad, especially good for complex routes and off network use. You download the maps like a Garmin.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #4

I use my Phone often as a GPS, dropping the phone in a shirt pocket and listening to Siri. Works OK in areas where that I'm familiar with.
The phone is loaded with the Garmin GPS app, as well as Google and Apple maps. The Garmin app is good for for areas without cellular while the other two work fine in Metro areas. The app is a dumb downed version of the standalone Garmins.
We use a phone CD mount that places the phone is sight. It is easily transferable to different vehicles.
Along with the GPS, function, the iPhone is use for music, utilizing our vehicles Bluetooth radios
Amazon.com: Car Mount, MintCell Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Holder -...

In the LD, I prefer a standalone Garmin GPS, mounted on the dash. The feature I like best is the lane position indicator, which shows what lane you need to be in. It makes navigating unfamiliar freeway interchanges a lot less intimidating and eliminates a lot of those  "oh ...." moments.
There is a huge range of features available on the Garmins, make sure you are not buying more than what you need.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
"It makes navigating unfamiliar freeway interchanges a lot less intimidating and eliminates a lot of those  "oh ...." moments."
-----
With or without a GPS (I don't have one), I still manage to experience those "Oh, ----!" moments!  Just me, but I'd probably have more of said moments if I did have a GPS, because I'd usually be looking at/poking it's buttons or hollering "STFU!" at the loopy instructions of the disembodied voice rather than focusing on the road and traffic!  :D

Another of those YMMV things!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Joan,
I turn the voice off most of the time.  It is amazing how much longer the windshield lasts when  GPS units stop being thrown into them.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #7
"the disembodied voice
rather than focusing on the road and traffic! :D"

I found the American female voice fairly annoying, but since having switched to UK Daniel, I am amused by his interpretation of words, various phrasing (slip road for entrance ramp), and elocution in general.  I don't detect that "silent eye roll" feeling when I make a mistake!  He just sighs inaudibly and helps me back onto the right path.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:    Brie and Persimmon

Reply #8

I found the American female voice fairly annoying, but since having switched to UK Daniel, I am amused by his interpretation of words, various phrasing (slip road for entrance ramp), and elocution in general.  I don't detect that "silent eye roll" feeling when I make a mistake!  He just sighs inaudibly and helps me back onto the right path.

If you really want to have some fun, try this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMhjqxIQrw
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Here are the current Consumers Report recommended units starting from the highest recommended.
All are Garmin units. There was a Magellan unit further down the list. The Smart GPS 5390.
nuviCam LMTHD   $300 range
nuvi 68LMT
Nuvi 58LMT
67 LMT
57LMT
57 $100 range.

Ed

Reply #10
Larry, lane position indicator sounds like a great feature.  When I visited the mothership, I knew flying out by myself and driving across LW with no navigator would be tough with last minute lane changes.  I kept an eye out, drove during non rush hour traffic and made it ok with only a few ... 1/4 mile to get over several lanes.  It worked ok but a lane position indicator would have made it so much easier.

A side note, the new Maps program (updated this last year with IOS 10 I think) is wrong many time.  Takes you out of your way many trips (e.g. gives 2 freeway choices, both miles out of your way, rather than a main street directly to the closest freeway).  And takes poor choices to get out of a neighborhood to a main street (e.g. in our neighborhood takes us south before taking us north when going north would work much better even if you didn't take the most direct north route).
I keep thinking it is regathering how people will drive and them improve, but nope months later still poor.
If it does that in neighborhoods I know... how would I ever be able to trust it in neighborhoods I don't know.
While I like the new features for getting coffee or gas or meal on the way (shows you what is along your route once you start the directions), and I would rather be connected to Yelp reviews rather than Google Plus reviews, I would rather use the old Maps app.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #11
I use the Garmin USA app on my iPad mini WiFi+LTE with downloaded maps, so no internet is needed. It works pretty much like the dedicated GPS units. And, mounted next to the steering wheel makes viewing the 7 inch display easy. I believe the app is $50, so if you already have a tablet it would be much cheaper than a dedicated GPS unit.
I did a post about it on my blog GPS Plus | Plein Air Journey
Pleinguy : Full-Timer
2004 Twin-King "Tardis"
PleinAirJourney.com

Reply #12
I use the Garmin USA app on my iPad mini WiFi+LTE with downloaded maps, so no internet is needed. It works pretty much like the dedicated GPS units.06/gps-plus/]GPS Plus | Plein Air Journey[/url]
I have same app on my phone and new iPad. It is different than the stand alone Garmin.
The previously mention lane indicators do not show on the app. It is a very valuable feature when entering any unfamiliar freeway interchange. When towing, moving over lanes can take extra time, it's nice to have a reminder and indicator. Navigating the screen is much easier on an iPad than on our Garmin. Newer models may have better touch screens.

Comparing Google maps, Apple maps and Garmin, I find Google to be the most accurate, when a cellular signal is available, with real time traffic information available in many areas.
Apple is easier to used, on an IOS device, but not nearly as accurate as Google.
The Garmin's onboard data base gives it the advantage of working everywhere but it often wants us to take an illogical route or turn. More than once it has tried to send us down a cow path. 
Both Google and Apple have reduced or removed a good deal of dirt back roads shown over the last few years. Garmin has never had good back road coverage.  Many times, the only thing the Garmin is good for is laying down breadcrumbs, enabling the returning to civilization by reversing the route.

I believe in using paper maps, finding them so much easier to use when planning route and trips. Paper maps contain much more information than most of the common digital maps, one reason to remain an Auto Club member.
I get a lot more pleasure from spreading a paper map out, to plan a trip, than looking at Google maps.
Call me old fashioned.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
OP here, and thanks for all of the feedback and discussion so far.  I really didn't think I would be spending this much time on this decision  :o

I appreciate the suggestion about the RV-specific versions of GPS units.  I had not realized they exist.  That *sounds* like what one would want.  Have some folks here tried them and concluded they just aren't worth it, and if so, why?

Then I was led to the actually Trucker versions, which I read are more reliable about vehicle restriction notifications.  But they really seem more about highways and truckstops from what I could quickly discern, which is the antithesis of my driving desires.

Finally, I see many of the current Garmin dedicated GPS units haven't been updated in years.  So I went to their website, and they seem to have a new offering which has eliminated much of the display bezel, so it looks like you get a 7" screen in almost the same size case that you'd previously get a 6" screen.  The version is called "RV 770 LMT-S" and MSRP is $399.  But it also looks like it won't be available before we start our trip.

As for the paper maps suggestions -- we will surely have a road atlas on board, but I think for us that will be as a safety backup.  I've gone "paperless" in my office, and I like being able to fit pounds and feet of storage stuff inside one of the many electronic devices we already planning to bring with us.  Though I accept that is probably the "best" answer for route planning.

Anywho.  Still considering my options.  Welcome all the suggestions, and any more folks wish to share based on their experiences.

S-
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #14
From Larry Wade: "The previously mentioned lane indicators do not show up on the app."
They do on the Garmin USA version I am using; as well as voice prompts for where to go, and the distance until the change. During my recent trip through Phoenix AZ it allowed me to always be in the appropriate lane.
Pleinguy : Full-Timer
2004 Twin-King "Tardis"
PleinAirJourney.com