Skip to main content
Topic: Mid Bath 27" questions-thinking about buying one-sofa comfort-winter camping (Read 671 times) previous topic - next topic
Mid Bath 27" questions-thinking about buying one-sofa comfort-winter camping
We are thinking about purchasing a new Mid Bath 27" LD.  We originally wanted the 31' Island Bed, but were told they were not making them now.  We thought the MB might be nice to have 2 rooms.  We are wondering how comfortable the sofas are to sleep on.  Are they comfortable as twin beds, with one bed folded out, and with both the beds pulled out, sleeping front to back or crosswise with both pulled out?  We sleep on a queen bed at home. Our plan is to full time, so we wonder how comfortable and manageable they would be full time.  We are in the Washington DC area and would love to see someones new MB 27" LD. 

We were wondering if one or both sofas could be removed if we decided to do something different, but from prior posts it looks like that might not be doable.  Has anyone removed one or both sofas on a MB?

Has anyone had a heat pad put on the holding tanks?  How well do they work after years?  Do you use heat tape around the outlet drain pipe?  How is winter travel managed?

We would love to talk to someone and see their LD MB 27" or LD RB 27" since we are not 100% sure which would be best for us.

We are trying to schedule a trip to the factory but would love to see one and think about it more.  Would love to talk to someone about theirs.

Thanks,
2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty
Full timing since August 2019 when we picked up the LD.

Re: Mid Bath 27" questions-thinking about buying one-sofa comfort-winter camping
Reply #1
We are thinking about purchasing a new Mid Bath 27" LD.  We originally wanted the 31' Island Bed, but were told they were not making them now.  We thought the MB might be nice to have 2 rooms.  We are wondering how comfortable the sofas are to sleep on.  Are they comfortable as twin beds, with one bed folded out, and with both the beds pulled out, sleeping front to back or crosswise with both pulled out?  We sleep on a queen bed at home. Our plan is to full time, so we wonder how comfortable and manageable they would be full time.  We are in the Washington DC area and would love to see someones new MB 27" LD. 

We were wondering if one or both sofas could be removed if we decided to do something different, but from prior posts it looks like that might not be doable.  Has anyone removed one or both sofas on a MB?

Has anyone had a heat pad put on the holding tanks?  How well do they work after years?  Do you use heat tape around the outlet drain pipe?  How is winter travel managed?

We would love to talk to someone and see their LD MB 27" or LD RB 27" since we are not 100% sure which would be best for us.

We are trying to schedule a trip to the factory but would love to see one and think about it more.  Would love to talk to someone about theirs.

Thanks,
We originally wanted the 31' Island Bed, but were told they were not making them now.  Bonnie, this comment will generate the question, "Who told you that?" Would you please share with us whom you spoke with at the factory and said they were no longer making the 31' IB? We are curious.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Mid Bath 27" questions-thinking about buying one-sofa comfort-winter camping
Reply #2
Indeed! We are curious.  :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Not that this means anything but the website still shows the 31'.

Jim

Reply #4
I am fulltiming in a '08 MB.  I got the option with one couch and barrel chairs.  I have been sleeping on that couch since November, 2008.  To me, it is comfortable.  I do not have heat pads on the tanks but I did put heat tape on the grey water drain after several occasions of a frozen grey tank drain.

As I am in southern NM, I think that is a bit far, but if you are passing here enrollee to the factory, feel free to stop in and visit.  By all means, go to the factory so you can spend some time in each model.  Lie down on the beds.  Wander past each other.  Try the MB bed with both couches open, to evaluate accessibility in that configuration.  Good luck!

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #5

The Northeast and Southeast  Lazy Days groups are having a joint rally in May not far from you.

Here is a link. Join the group for details. You will be able to look at probably every floor plan and talk to the owners.

Enjoy.
Ed

Yahoo! Groups

Reply #6
We are wondering how comfortable the sofas are to sleep on.  Are they comfortable as twin beds, with one bed folded out, and with both the beds pulled out, sleeping front to back or crosswise with both pulled out?  We sleep on a queen bed at home. Our plan is to full time, so we wonder how comfortable and manageable they would be full time. 

Just to offer my opinion on this part of the OP post, we have found the cushions in the MB rear lounge to be very comfortable as either a single, double, or king size arrangement.  Some of the Faithful have added a foam pad to soften the cushions to fit their comfort level.  And we have found the separation offered by the MB with a rear lounge increases our privacy especially when one of us stays up later or gets up earlier.  Hope this make sense?

Reply #7
We have a '15 TK which is a mini -MB.
We use the couches as twins and find them quite comfortable
Some add a 1" piece of memory foam. We don't.

Ed

Reply #8

I disassembled and removed the street-side sofa in my MidBath. It wasn't difficult at all. I used tips from Andy Baird, including insulating the wall and putting a piece of thin plywood there. Then my son and S.O. built a beautiful, customized desk for me. Panoramic photo of my office/guest room here, taken at Lake Mohave in Arizona:

Midbath Guest Room/Office Pano
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose

Reply #9
Bonnie,

It's been said many times here that it's best to take a look at as many LD floor plans as possible before you commit yourself.

This is obviously a must if you're ordering new from the Mothership. Perhaps you have seen several already. Perhaps not.

We ordered our '15 RB from the factory and I'm certainly glad we visited LD first. No buyers remorse here.

Memory foam? I use a1" pad on my side. Insulated tanks? No. But I agree that heating the dump valve warrants consideration.

If you want more details of our rig, a quick search of my previous posts will reveal a lot about our rig.

That's it for me. Feel free to PM if you want to pick my brain. Everyone at LDO has heard it all by now.

Good choice buying a LD, by the way. Now you can work on the finer details.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #10
In our MB, we use the two beds (couches) in the rear of the unit for sleeping.  Each of us pulls out the couch a bit for more room, and I take the couch back rest and slide it down between the seat cushion and the wall providing more insulation for me (I'm on the street side).  DW uses the back rest a bit differently, however it works for her.  Neither of us uses a topper for the cushion, but others do, so it's a personal comfort choice.  Our bedding is simply a sleeping bag and we add blankets if necessary.

We have not joined the two couches in the rear to make one large bed.  Personally, I like the isle between the two beds because often I need to get up at night and visit the BR.  This minimizes the chance of bothering DW.  But, even if you join the two couches, it only takes a couple of minutes to return your sleeping arrangements back to traveling mode.

As noted by Ed. D, the NELD & SELD groups will be having a joint gathering in Mt. Airy NC (Mayberry RFD to Andy Griffiths fans) in May.  You are cordially invited to join us.  Usually, on Saturday morning, we will open our rigs for an open house.

BTW, I'm in the Western PA area.
2011 MB

Reply #11
Thank you all so much for your comments and guidance.  I am getting the fever bad now!  We used to have a 24" Class C Dodge Marathon and loved it, we traveled for years in it, but it got too old.  We really like the LD quality, aluminum siding, and no slideout. 

As for my comment about the 31 foot.  My husband talked to the sales guy and he said (as I saw in another post) that they have not made any for a while and would have to have it re engineered.  It seemed they were taking names and seeing if there would be enough people wanting them to make them again.  We were very disappointed when we heard that and looked at other brands, but are now thinking maybe the 27' would fit our needs, and would go where we want to go better.  We like national parks and boon docking.

We live in Alexandria, VA just outside of Washington DC, and would drive to see anyone's LD that is within a days drive.  Especially both 27' models.  We are always looking for a road trip. We have had the opportunity to look in about 3 LD, but would like to look in new 27' models.

We are going to try to get to the NELD & SELD.

Thank you all!!  Anything else you think might be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Bonnie
2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty

Reply #12
Wonder what the real issue with the 31' models is?
LD may not be able to get the chassis or maybe there is problem with the frame modification.
I know there were some changes needed to deal with the new 6-speed transmission.
I can't see a reason why LD would want to redesign the 31' models when the chassis is due to go out of production in just a couple of years.

With the future of the E450 in question and what will replace it, it must be tough for a small manufacturer to make plans.
I continue to be frustrated with the lack information on what to expect, in two years or so, when Ford discontinues production of the E450. 
It's too big a market to pass up.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
I believe he said the re-engineering had to be done due to a change in the transmission.  We suspected they did not sell as may 31' models. 
2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty

Reply #14
I know in May when we ordered our MB, they were still manufacturing the 31'. 
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #15
Bonnie, I've sent you a pm.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #16
Bonnie. I live in McLean VA. My o7 mid bath is dated as compared to the new models. I'll be going to exercise the RV soon and could meet with you. Give me a message and we can figure out a way to meet off line.  Forgive my manners, I did not notice you live in the Washington DC metropolitan (to quote WTOP) area.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #17
Bonnie,
A caution, do not expect the mother ship to have RVs for you to check out.
When I went over, there was only one - the MB.  It really depends on what they have available at the time.

Most are in production but they were not where they could be seen, though with my request he did show me one with no skins as I wanted to take a peak at the wall innards (likely as I was hanging around for a couple of hours looking things over well and he figured I was serious).

They don't have time to talk to you for hours, as they have to take care of other customers/work, but if you hang around they will make sure all your questions get answered.

Meeting up with a group is the best way to check out what it feels like inside the different Lazy Dazes.
For us, we were seriously thinking Lazy Daze and a couple other models.  We caught up with a local LD group and people gladly showed us their coaches.  We sat in a couple thinking ok.... until we sat in one and Bam...That was the one!!! 
Me, being who I am, had to continue to check out other models, but when we found what was important to us in layout, it was easy to narrow things down drastically.

So I would encourage finding a group to go visit over visiting the factory - so you get that chance to sit in the different models.

Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #18
Hi Bonnie, I would agree with Jan and Scott's suggestions. When we were deciding about our LD in 2014/2015, we did visit the factory twice and also attended two rondys in our area. Both were very helpful but the visit to the rondys and talking with people who had the different floor plans was most helpful in making the decisions about the floor plan and the colors and fabric. The factory was great for answering technical questions and allowing us to see how the rigs are built. We decided on a MB in gray with the gray fabric. We went with the brown/mocha fabric for the accent colors instead of the black the factory showed and added a table in the back like the ones in the 24s which folds up when not in use and gives us essentially a second work space and eating space. We tend to take most meals in the back because of the huge windows and use the banquet as additional counter space in the gallery. We're really happy with our choice, now called The Silver Fox, but I'm glad we got to visit other coaches in the decision making process.

Good luck, and I'm sure you will enjoy your LD.
Jean and Ian
The Silver Fox
2015 MB

Reply #19
Thank you all for suggesting the LD groups.  We are definitely going to try to get to them.  I have a conference I have to go to in May so we could not get to NC until Saturday afternoon.  Not sure if that would be too late.  I am also hoping we can look at some models maybe in day or so trips.  So far we have one we are going to get an opportunity to look at in our area which I know will be very helpful.  I am hoping others will see our post and we can set something up.  My husband is 6'1" and is concerned about drivers seat room in the 27' MB.  He likes to have the seat back and leaned back, so he is concerned about being comfortable driving.  We are wondering if the 2007 MB 27' has the same room in the drivers seat as a 2017 MB 27' We are concerned the refrigerator might limit the space.
Thank you all so much for your help!
Bonnie
2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty

Reply #20
" We are wondering if the 2007 MB 27' has the same room in the drivers seat as a 2017 MB 27' We are concerned the refrigerator might limit the space."

Starting with the 2008 model year, Ford added. 4" to the cab in order to accommodate taller drivers.

Ed

Reply #21
That is great to know.  We hope to look at a 2007 MB 27' in a week or so.  Knowing there will be more room in a 2017 will help.  Now we have to find a 2008+ 27' MB model to look at also.  Thanks a bunch for that information.  Would you know where the extra 4" is, is it that the seat can be pushed back another 4", or leaned back another 4"? 

Bonnie
2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty

Reply #22
We have a 2014 MB that we absolutely love. The unique 3 sided panoramic windows in the back is what sold us. We had gone to the Pomona RV show and seen nothing that really impressed us. We want something basic and dependable. The 270 degree of panoramic view that we look out lounging on the back sofa is just absolutely divine when we back into a beautiful campsite. The rear bed arrangement is very flexible. It can be two twin bed, double bed and one sofa, or oversize king bed is what we use. My husband employ the bed at night. I deploy them in the morning. It's really no big deal. It only takes about five minutes plus. We are in our late fifties. I have a 3 inches thick king size memory foam that I cut in half and cover it with twin size memory foam cover.  It's more manageable when I roll up the bedding and hand it to my husband to stow it on the overcab in the morning. We have a fleece sheet and a king size down comforter that kept us toasty and snug as a bug even when the inside temperature drops to the twenties or thirties. We had slept head toward the back window and feet toward the cab and scoot up to the front to get out. We now prefer to sleep head toward the passenger side window and feet toward driver side window. My husband(six feet) sleep on the outside and I(five feet) sleep on the inside. I climb over him or step over him by holding on to the handle of the overhead cabinet if I had to use the bathroom at night. We had traveled in the coach for weeks and plan to travel with it for months this year and perhaps full time in it for a while until we decide where we want to settle down next. It had took me four years of intensive research to decide on the Lazy Daze. It had allowed us to go to incredibly beautiful places and kept us sheltered with no issues. The interior is functional, comfortable and dependable enough to allow me to focus on the enjoyment of the great outdoor. The back lounge allow me to gaze into the horizon and daydream in serenity. The size is not too big or small. I really feel smug about my choice of the LD MB. It's our seaside villa, desert hacienda, mountain retreat and lakeside cabin. We love our coach.
2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Reply #23
Oh the previous post is written by me (Florence)
2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Reply #24
While I have installed them, I have no idea how holding tank heater pads hold up after many years. I would suspect the 12-volt models would have more problems than the 120-VAC heaters.
Our LD has the drain pipe and and dumps valves equipped with 120-VAC heat tape and then wrapped with a closed cell insulation tape. The drain lines freeze much quicker than the holding tanks and we usually do not stay long enough in conditions cold enough to freeze the tanks.
The drains and valves can easily freeze over night and can be thawed in an hour or so, powered off the generator or electrical hookups, if available.

If you are going to be staying in conditions cold enough to need tank heaters, then a good source of power will be needed, usually electrical hookups. Heaters use too much power to depend on solar. Hookups are also very useful for interior heating.
When it gets this cold, most folks head south.
LDs, and RVs in general, are not well insulated, the walls are too thin to have a high R-factor. LDs have bigs windows, great for viewing, not so good for insulating.
This doesn't mean you can't camp in very cold conditions, it's just a lot more difficult, requiring proper outfitting and a change in operating techniques.
Another real problem of traveling and camping in cold weather areas is finding a place to dump and just as importantly, fill with water.  You will find few, if any, open campgrounds or RV parks. Plan ahead.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze