Skip to main content
Topic: Add AC to 1997 TK (Read 178 times) previous topic - next topic
Add AC to 1997 TK
I recently picked up a nice 1997 24' and it was originally ordered without AC (can't image why), but there is a fantastic fan that I'd like to pull out and then install a roof mount AC unit.

1. Should the wiring be present (pre-wired) to allow installation of the AC unit?

2. Suggestions for a AC unit?  Will the Coleman Polar Cub (I like the low profile) suffice?  I may camp where the temps is pushing 100 deg F.

Thank you,

Randy

Re: Add AC to 1997 TK
Reply #1
I see at least two, probably three problems with this plan: 1) the FF "hole" is not nearly large enough to accommodate an AC unit; roof cutting  and reinforcing would be necessary. 2) See #1; the AC unit requires roof reinforcement. 3) If the rig was ordered without an AC (didn't know that was even possible), I doubt that any wiring would be present, but the tech gurus on the board can say whether this is accurate.

How "handy" are you?  ;)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Roof A/Cs were standard equipment in the 1997 LDs, according to LD's sales literature.
Either it was deleted or it was removed at some point, with the fan replacing it.
If so, the wiring should still be present.
Look in the Power Center for a 120-volt breaker, labled  "A/C". If it is there, there wiring should be there too.

If it was not originally equipped and the wiring is not present, it can still be added, using surface mount wiring.
It would require adding a circuit breaker and running Romex up to the roof opening.
Sounds like a lot of  fun.

Being that 12-VDC is present, there is a good chance the 120-VAC wiring isn't there. Only one way to tell, drop the Fantastic Fan (four screws) and look for abandoned wiring.
I would guess the roof framing isn't any different than ones built for A/C.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
The "hold size" information in my original post was incorrect; thanks for the fix, Andy! The hole for the Fantastic Fan and the AC's "guts" are both 14"X14". I am still not sure about the framing; if the rig in question had AC that was removed (and a fan put in the hole), the framing should be "LD standard", i.e., sufficient to support the AC.

And, re: Larry's advice about the wiring? Do that.  ;) Also, check around the hole for any evidence of leaking in whatever type of framing is there!

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Excellent idea about checking the circuit panel.  The guy I purchased it from was selling it for his father and said his father ordered from the factory w/o AC, although I still question whether the father was the original owner.  So with that said, and I also think it is odd it would come w/o AC, I'll check the circuit panel and see what I find.  If it's a huge project I'll just run the 2 Fantastic fans a lot and keep the windows open.

Fortunately it is good shape and runs awesome, and the price was right so I still feel good about the purchase.  Just need to sell my '87 23' now.  ;D

Reply #5
Excellent idea about checking the circuit panel.  The guy I purchased it from was selling it for his father and said his father ordered from the factory w/o AC, although I still question whether the father was the original owner.  So with that said, and I also think it is odd it would come w/o AC,
When ordering an LD,  they will delete many items, if pressed.
I have seen two other LDs, both without a Factory roof A/C.
I have no idea why anyone would do this but, maybe LD's Ed convinced them that "you don't need that'.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Randy

"I'll just run the 2 Fantastic fans a lot and keep the windows open."

I have a total of five roof vents in my 30'IB and each of those contain MaxAir MaxxFans. They are equivalent to the Fantastic's but are quieter and have integral rain covers. When adjusted properly I can create my own wind tunnel effect.  :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!