Skip to main content
Topic: Printer Recommendation (Read 157 times) previous topic - next topic
Printer Recommendation
I currently have a Canon PIXMA iP90v (nice, small one for traveling) for which Canon no longer makes drivers that will work with Yosemite OS on my MacBook Pro. Interestingly, the Canon tech said they stopped making compatible drivers with Mountain Lion, but my printer kept working with later OS upgrades until just recently. She said I was lucky.

I'm considering the replacement which is a PIXMA iP110 because I've been very satisfied with this brand and model. Best price I've found so far is about $150. Can any of you recommend a similar small printer that you've been happy with? 

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Printer Recommendation
Reply #1
I'm fine with Canon's Pixma 110. It's compact, lightweight, and prints quite well. One nice feature is that Bluetooth is built in, so I never have to worry about printer cables--I print wirelessly from my MacBook Pro or iPads. The only drawback I can think of is that like most "portable' printers, it uses small cartridges that don't hold a lot of ink. But since I rarely need to print, that hasn't been a big problem for me. I just keep a few spares on hand.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
I'm fine with Canon's Pixma 110. It's compact, lightweight, and prints quite well. One nice feature is that Bluetooth is built in, so I never have to worry about printer cables--I print wirelessly from my MacBook Pro or iPads. The only drawback I can think of is that like most "portable' printers, it uses small cartridges that don't hold a lot of ink. But since I rarely need to print, that hasn't been a big problem for me. I just keep a few spares on hand.
Thanks, Andy. I remembered you upgraded and were kind enough to share old cartridges with me. Couldn't remember if it was 110 or not.
Chris

Reply #3
Chris,

I had an older version of the Pixma 110.
I believe it was the 90 series.

When I moved up to a 64 bit system, Cannon was able to help upgrade my Pixma at no charge. The tech did all the work over the phone.

I used it to print pictures for our classroom open houses. The photo print quality was spot on.

It might be time to upgrade myself. Thanks gentlemen.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Inkjet printers are a money pit. Those little ink cartridges have all sorts of ways of not working, including onboard chips that "expire", and less-than-truthful ink level indicators. The printers themselves seem to be disposable as well. I've rarely seen one last more than a year or so. 

I'm utterly thrilled with my HP LaserJet all-in-one, and it's not even a real fancy one. It's big and power hungry so it doesn't come in the rig with us, however there are smaller very compact ones available that make sense for traveling. If you can live with black and white, a laser printer will save you a ton of money over its lifespan. If there's something you have to print in color, take it to Walmart for photos, or Kinkos for everything else.

fu
2015TK
fu
2015TK

Reply #5
Another vote for a Pixma 110. Nice little printer. You can print from your phone, iPad or computer wirelessly as Andy has stated. I have a little carry case and 12V cord along with buying off brand ink on Amazon in bulk cheap. Sweet.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #6
I currently have a Canon PIXMA iP90v (nice, small one for traveling) for which Canon no longer makes drivers that will work with Yosemite OS on my MacBook Pro. Interestingly, the Canon tech said they stopped making compatible drivers with Mountain Lion, but my printer kept working with later OS upgrades until just recently. She said I was lucky.

I'm considering the replacement which is a PIXMA iP110 because I've been very satisfied with this brand and model. Best price I've found so far is about $150. Can any of you recommend a similar small printer that you've been happy with?

Chris

We had a Pixma ip90V and when it failed I opted for a relatively small Samsung SL-M2020W black and white laserjet. It is surprisingly lightweight.  You don't have the issues of cartridges drying up and you get a lot of pages out of a cartridge. Since it connects over wifi we have ours parked behind the TV in the entertainment center. Of course, if you need color it doesn't help.

Jim

Reply #7
We had a Pixma ip90V and when it failed I opted for a relatively small Samsung SL-M2020W black and white laserjet. It is surprisingly lightweight.  You don't have the issues of cartridges drying up and you get a lot of pages out of a cartridge. Since it connects over wifi we have ours parked behind the TV in the entertainment center. Of course, if you need color it doesn't help.

Jim
I hadn't thought about b & w laserjet. I don't have a need for color. Thanks for the tip, Jim.
Chris

Reply #8

Besides needing a printer occasionally, I find a scanner/copier to be just as useful.
A cheap Epson XP-410 (now the XP-430) has filled the need for the last few years.
Like most printer's today it's connects wirelessly.
Amazon.com: Epson Expression Home XP-430 Wireless Color Photo Printer with...

I only use  black ink cartages, not needing color for most things.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Inkjet printers are a money pit. Those little ink cartridges have all sorts of ways of not working, including onboard chips that "expire", and less-than-truthful ink level indicators. The printers themselves seem to be disposable as well. I've rarely seen one last more than a year or so. 

I'm utterly thrilled with my HP LaserJet all-in-one, and it's not even a real fancy one. It's big and power hungry so it doesn't come in the rig with us, however there are smaller very compact ones available that make sense for traveling. If you can live with black and white, a laser printer will save you a ton of money over its lifespan. If there's something you have to print in color, take it to Walmart for photos, or Kinkos for everything else.

fu
2015TK

I only use HP products and have both laserjet and inkjet models, both of which are two large to travel. Why HP? They are good quality printers and since my brother-in-law works for them, we get the friends and family discount. He once told me, "Keep buying the HP cartridges, that's our bread and butter!"
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10

Amazon sells ink for our El Cheapo Canon printer that works just fine.

I got three of each cartridges for $20.
For my needs, that's a three years supply. Of course, the ink may dry out before I need them, but for that price, I can't go wrong.

Amazon.com: E-Z Ink (TM) Compatible Ink Cartridge Replacement for Canon...

locally, Walgreens has a great photo print facility. If I want a top quality photo, I just use Walgreens.

For the rest of my needs, an inexpensive ink jet scanner/copier/printer gets the job done.

Ed

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #11
posted twice for some reason.
Sorry
Ed