Skip to main content
Topic: Large flat panel tv mounting ideas (Read 579 times) previous topic - next topic
Large flat panel tv mounting ideas
Hi-
I'm a new LD owner. My LD is a 2002 30 foot rear queen.
Over the cab are storage cabinets and a small tv.

I'm looking for ideas for mounting a large flat panel tv in front of the cabinet and still allow access inside the cabinets.

Thanks in advance,
NADAZE
2002 30' IB

Re: Large flat panel tv mounting ideas
Reply #1
I have often wondered what I would do if perchance something bad happened to the stock TV in my 30'IB!

Note I said Island Bed. All 30' LDs are either Island Bed or Twin Bed, depending on which of the two configurations you have.  ;)

If or when it becomes necessary to replace the TV I would hope that I could find a way to utilize the original mounting bracket. Having it mounted to a panel which can be used to lift it up out of the way to gain access to the copious storage space behind is a huge convenience.

Has anyone attempted a modification?
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Hi-

I'm looking for ideas for mounting a large flat panel tv in front of the cabinet and still allow access inside the cabinets.

Thanks in advance,
NADAZE
Nadaze (may we address you by a real name?) http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=173 Check these photos out and you can see what I did in my '02 30'. The photos are not in order of project installation but I think you can figure it out.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Chris,

Since Nadaze is a new owner perhaps he has not yet discovered "The 30' Lazy Daze Motor Home" in the old Yahoo Groups. There are a ton of photos there that may be of some use to him.

I'm not sure how to link him to it but I'd bet you can.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #4
I replaced my old 19" TV with a new 28" in a similar manner as Chris.  I followed his directions and we are very pleased.  There should be a lengthy thread on this. I wasn't able to find the mount Chris used.  If you're interested in the mount I used, and you can't find it in the thread I referenced, let me know and I'll dig out the info for you.

Bob 360-901-3060
'01 Rear Kitchen

Reply #5
Thanks for everyones suggestions.
You have provided very sensible solution.

Mark
Aka NADAZE
2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Chris,

Since Nadaze is a new owner perhaps he has not yet discovered "The 30' Lazy Daze Motor Home" in the old Yahoo Groups. There are a ton of photos there that may be of some use to him.

I'm not sure how to link him to it but I'd bet you can.  ;)
Mark, here is the link to the 30' Lazy Daze site. I don't think it's still active but you can try to join if you wish and see what happens. Yahoo! Groups
Chris

Reply #7
Since I've been a member of that 30' site since the beginning (2004) I had ready access to it. I didn't give a thought about someone having to join it.   ::)

Most of the photos show the '03 model year but toward the end there are some pics that show the 2004 version, in particular the Entertainment Unit and how the TV (20" Sharp Aquos) was mounted. It has a very substantial 'piano' type hinge at the top and two struts on the inside to assist in lifting and holding it in the open position. This is the arrangement that came with my 30'IB.

As I said before, I sure hope that any future TV will be able to utilize this mounting system.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #8

Most of the photos show the '03 model year but toward the end there are some pics that show the 2004 version, in particular the Entertainment Unit and how the TV (20" Sharp Aquos) was mounted. It has a very substantial 'piano' type hinge at the top and two struts on the inside to assist in lifting and holding it in the open position. This is the arrangement that came with my 30'IB.

As I said before, I sure hope that any future TV will be able to utilize this mounting system.

Our 06 came with the Jensen 20" mounted as you describe. A few years ago I replaced it with a 26" Samsung TV. The mounting holes on the TV were spaced differently. I just copied the pattern and applied to the flat plate and drilled new holes. Much to my amazement I actually got it right and the fit was perfect. I suspect if I remove the wood panel wings on either side I could go larger although  it can't get too much taller given how it opens. I have considered just removing the two cabinet doors and going with a 65". Gayle keeps holding me back. ;D

Reply #9
Our 06 came with the Jensen 20" mounted as you describe. A few years ago I replaced it with a 26" Samsung TV. The mounting holes on the TV were spaced differently. I just copied the pattern and applied to the flat plate and drilled new holes. Much to my amazement I actually got it right and the fit was perfect. I suspect if I remove the wood panel wings on either side I could go larger although  it can't get too much taller given how it opens. I have considered just removing the two cabinet doors and going with a 65". Gayle keeps holding me back. ;D
That Gayle is such a spoilsport.
Chris

Reply #11
This tv wall mounting system looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5IAJ0vPb4E

Mark
Mark, swiveling is ideal, of course, but to have access to the right and left cabinets when the TV is stored, it needs to be rotated perpendicular as you saw in my installation photos. The Omnimount mount I used allowed 180* rotation, but it seems to not be available anymore. A web search should find something that would work. With a swivel mount, you have access to the cabinets by moving the TV right and left.
Chris

Reply #12
Mark, swiveling is ideal, of course, but to have access to the right and left cabinets when the TV is stored, it needs to be rotated perpendicular as you saw in my installation photos. The Omnimount mount I used allowed 180* rotation, but it seems to not be available anymore. A web search should find something that would work. With a swivel mount, you have access to the cabinets by moving the TV right and left.
Chris

Thanks Chris-
I would like to install a large flat panel tv. One that would be cover most of the from of the cabinet space.
I don't intend on storing much in these cabinets.
2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Thanks Chris-
I would like to install a large flat panel tv. One that would be cover most of the from of the cabinet space.
I don't intend on storing much in these cabinets.
Be sure to post some photos if/when you complete this project.
Chris

Reply #14
Hi-

Thanks in advance,
NADAZE
Last year while in Yuma, a RV facility installed a heavy-duty articulating arm on a 1x6 cross member. To this he bolted the swing arm and attached a Samsung 46" flat screen. By pulling TV forward, still have access to front cabinet doors/storage. It locks firmly in-place for travel.  Love it •••
Jack - Teal 2003 IB31
Southeastern LD  #19 •• Southwestern LD  #14  ••
LD Caravan  #2999

Reply #15
Last year while in Yuma, a RV facility installed a heavy-duty articulating arm on a 1x6 cross member. To this he bolted the swing arm and attached a Samsung 46" flat screen. By pulling TV forward, still have access to front cabinet doors/storage. It locks firmly in-place for travel.  Love it •••

Holy Moly. I have to see a photo of this please.

Jim

Reply #16

Wow. Can you share a photo of your mounting system?
2002 30' IB

Reply #18
I recalled a discussion on the Jensen and other brands so I searched for "TV", and voila, the first result was this one- new TV suggestions?

I'm with you, I don't like that bungee. Though it may be just to address a rattle.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #19
Thanks Paul, I guess my searching skills need to be upgraded.  I searched TV install and came up with this link.  LOL 
2000 RB