Skip to main content
Topic: Unregistered LD for sale in CA (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic
Unregistered LD for sale in CA
If vehicles must be smogged within 90 days of sale in CA, what do you make of an unregistered LD for sale?  Is that because it probably won't pass smog?

Thanks..

Mimi
Save a life.
Adopting a pet is the closest a human
will ever come to choosing a relative.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Re: Unregistered LD for sale in CA
Reply #1
If vehicles must be smogged within 90 days of sale in CA, what do you make of an unregistered LD for sale?  Is that because it probably won't pass smog?
In California the DMV requires that....
"The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance."
Smog Information

And what do you mean by unregistered? 
It has to be registered in some state and still is, even if the tags are not current. The pink slip will show the state.
Once again, the seller is responsible for having a clean pink, don't buy an RV without it and a valid smog certificate.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
This page to links on the CA DMV site may answer some questions:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv/vr

An "unregistered" vehicle could be the result of not passing the smog test, or the "unregistered" status could  indicate a title issue of some sort; neither of these possible reasons bodes well for a seller or a buyer.

In any event, ditto the advice about not buying a rig without a clear title and a current smog certification.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Thank you both.  The seller says the rig is in perfect working order and, "Just needs  registration and you're good to go!"  It seemed fishy to me, but the rig looked pretty nice, superficially anyway.  I guess there isn't anything stopping him from sticking it to someone, but it won't be me!:-)  Thank you..

Mimi
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Reply #4
Perhaps the vehicle is 'registered' as PNO (Planned Non-Operational). This might be the case if the owner planned to NOT operate the vehicle, as if it were in storage, incurring a reduced fee.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Weird thing is he says, the buyer just has to register it. If it was PNO, that would mean it couldn't be driven so, you'd think the seller would remove the PNO so the prospective buyer could test drive it, no?  I don't know.  Just seems fishy.
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #6
If this the same LD listed on CL in Long Beach it is not on a PNO and there was over $600.00 due for the vehicle to be registered when I inquired. I would not even think of buying this unless the owner gets it  smog first and you are willing to paid all the back fees and penalties to the DMV. I moved on and found a 1989 22 ft with solar panels for under $6000.00 in fair condition for it's age. This is my first RV and was not sure if the adventure is going to be a long term or just a year or two passing so wanted a smaller LD.  I looked at a lot of older LD in SoCal 87 to 90 and all had issues so you will have to invest.  All the ones I drove all had braking issues and asking prices ranged from $5900.00 to $11,500.00 and everyone had some kind of water damage inside or out from the past.  I just had my braking system total rebuilt as braking a 11,000# vehicle is important to me and the cost was $3000.00. Just a little food for thought if you are looking at older LDs.
1989 22'

Reply #7
All the ones I drove all had braking issues and asking prices ranged from $5900.00 to $11,500.00 and everyone had some kind of water damage
I thought that ad was suspicious so decided to keep looking.  I've been looking for a LD for a long time, but haven't found it yet.  I'm looking for a smaller one, as well.  I may end up buying something else and just continue looking for my LD.  I expect to spend quite a bit making repairs after purchase, so I'm trying to find one that is priced fairly.  Brakes are also important to me, so I would have spent the 3K as well.  Still, it's great that you found a rig for under 6K!  Congratulations! 

Mimi
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017